U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,115,626 times
Reputation: 1198

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ah, but its still a really long walk, which was your point in the first place, and why would anyone walk, when there is mass transit in either city?
Sorry you missed the point.
You missed the point when I said I have everything I need downtown so I wouldn't have to go to a place like the Galleria hint hint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,541,972 times
Reputation: 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I suppose we arent, because I sure dont have a clue of what you are trying to convey.
Oh well. Maybe next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,636,463 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
You missed the point when I said I have everything I need downtown so I wouldn't have to go to a place like the Galleria hint hint.
No, I didnt miss it.
Dont know if I believe it, but I didnt miss it.
Who goes to the mall, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2011, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,115,626 times
Reputation: 1198
St Louis needs more variety on the radio like trance music or something.

Sure plenty of people still do go to the mall everyday...even in St Louis. Why do the burbs have to take away everything from downtown? Bring it back to the core
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 05:41 AM
 
976 posts, read 1,808,835 times
Reputation: 599
st louis has forest park and city garden, both far superior to anything in indianapolis in terms of urban gathering places. go look them up, they are both among the very best in class. and apparently you weren't kididng about comparing monument circle to piccadilly circus and times square. hee hee.

indianapolis is in a tier below st. louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,541,972 times
Reputation: 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
With all due respect, what do you think Kiener Plaza is?
http://session2005.adventist.org/med...plaza_arch.jpg

Old Courthouse and Kiener Plaza - St. Louis, MO | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/78469770@N00/425430889/ - broken link)

http://saintlouislandmarks.com/img/v7/p762409680-3.jpg
I will try this again. Kiener Plaza is to St. Louis as American Legion Mall is to Indianapolis.

Monument Circle is to downtown Indianapolis was the Arch is to downtown St. Louis.

The Monument is more of a gathering spot to Indianapolis than the arch is. The fact that you have to bring up the plaza at STL's place kind of proves my original point, that STL lacks a Monument Circle-esque point at its core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st louis has forest park and city garden, both far superior to anything in indianapolis in terms of urban gathering places. go look them up, they are both among the very best in class.

indianapolis is in a tier below st. louis.
Forest Park is not downtown.

Saying City Garden is superior to anything in Indianapolis is silly. Indianapolis has the Central Canal and the Cultural Trail. They are similar entities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 AM
 
976 posts, read 1,808,835 times
Reputation: 599
someone still drew comparisons between monument circle and times square. :cough:

once the arch grounds redevelopment is complete, few cities will be able to compete with the urban playground st. louis will have created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Earth
2,549 posts, read 3,115,626 times
Reputation: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st louis has forest park and city garden, both far superior to anything in indianapolis in terms of urban gathering places. go look them up, they are both among the very best in class. and apparently you weren't kididng about comparing monument circle to piccadilly circus and times square. hee hee.

indianapolis is in a tier below st. louis.
Your closer to head into suburban Clayton for some shopping at the Galleria on the other side that area. Unlike Indy Busch Stadium isn't within walking distance to that area nor does it have as much downtown Indy. Downtown Indy has way more within in it's compacted core than any one single neighborhood St Louis. Downtown St Louis isn't what it use to be compared to it's hey day. The burbs killed it. It will become Detroit which isn't the way to go. As far as Monument Circle, no it doesn't have as much activity as Piccadilly or Times Square but it's something St Louis really doesn't have...a central focal point..the markt. Sure Monument Circle could easily place huge video screens against and on top of buildings to get the Piccadilly Circus look but it is unique in it own way having the monument and fountain.

Large active principal public squares:

New York > Times Square
London > Piccadilly Circus
Indianapolis > Monument Circle
Venice > Piazza San Marco
St Louis > ???

As far as a monument, St Louis wins with it's Gateway Arch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,636,463 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Your closer to head into suburban Clayton for some shopping at the Galleria on the other side that area. Unlike Indy Busch Stadium isn't within walking distance to that area nor does it have as much downtown Indy. Downtown Indy has way more within in it's compacted core than any one single neighborhood St Louis. Downtown St Louis isn't what it use to be compared to it's hey day. The burbs killed it. It will become Detroit which isn't the way to go. As far as Monument Circle, no it doesn't have as much activity as Piccadilly or Times Square but it's something St Louis really doesn't have...a central focal point..the markt. Sure Monument Circle could easily place huge video screens against and on top of buildings to get the Piccadilly Circus look but it is unique in it own way having the monument and fountain.

Large active principal public squares:

New York > Times Square
London > Piccadilly Circus
Indianapolis > Monument Circle
Venice > Piazza San Marco
St Louis > ???

As far as a monument, St Louis wins with it's Gateway Arch
Saying that STL is going to become another Detroit is delusional at best.
I'm not even going to quantify the rest of your remarks with a reply.
I will say this, music is a subjective subject, one cannot rate a city on their radio stations, not all of us are enamored of electronica.-blech-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,636,463 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I will try this again. Kiener Plaza is to St. Louis as American Legion Mall is to Indianapolis.

Monument Circle is to downtown Indianapolis was the Arch is to downtown St. Louis.

The Monument is more of a gathering spot to Indianapolis than the arch is. The fact that you have to bring up the plaza at STL's place kind of proves my original point, that STL lacks a Monument Circle-esque point at its core.
I am going to try this again also.
Could you please elucidate as to why you think that?
I've been downtown more times than I can count, being a native, I always see scores of people on the Plaza, they are not tourists, there isnt a ball game going on, either.
Whats that about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top