U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:24 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,718,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins79 View Post
St Louis can hang it's hat on more than just one area of downtown unlike Indy. I like having a downtown plus many other urban neighborhoods to venutre out in. Soulard, Central West End, South Grand, Tower Grove, U City, The Hill, Lafayette Square, Dogtown, Benton Park to name a few. I am from the city of Chicago and there are neighborhoods here that remind me of home. Can't say the same for Indy.

Kind of sad that one of the "pros" of Indy is that they have a radio station that plays "house" music. Maybe one day St. Louis can be so lucky.
Truly one of the great things about the Lou is her urban neighborhoods.
Anyone that says that STL is going the way of Detroit, and everyone hides in the burbs has obviously never spent any time in the Lou.
Ditto on the radio station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:27 PM

976 posts, read 1,814,009 times
if only radio stations were the measure of a city....

st. louis actually does have one of the oldest and best independent community radio stations in the united states. lo and behold, at least one show features house and trance music! now we can be as cool as...

indianapolis.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
lol!

Cities with buildings:

NYC
Tokyo
Hong Kong
London
Indianapolis
Originally Posted by abr7rmj
lol!

Cities with successful principal civic plazas:

NYC
Tokyo
Hong Kong
London
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
No St Louis?
Its considered bad form on this forum to alter anothers post in the manner in which you have done.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,126,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yeah, Kiener and the Arch grounds are just a vast wasteland over the 4th, arent they?
There are even -gasp- some folks from Ladue sprinkled in there!
Also, on the subject of music, I would daresay if there were a demographic large enough for an electronica station there would be one.
Its a simple equation of supply and demand.

http://0.tqn.com/d/stlouis/1/0/C/7/-...uis-Crowds.JPG

http://0.tqn.com/d/stlouis/1/0/A/7/-...is-Crowd-2.JPG

http://media.connectingstlouis.com/5...st-louis-9.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xgLyP-rB8F.../livelevee.jpg
Sure any city can draw a good size crowd on the 4th. I'm not denying that but how about everyday?

Well, I suppose if you had a dance station in St Louis someone would listen unless they aren't open minded enough to see what other kind of music genre exists out there and aren't afraid to play it on air.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM

8,278 posts, read 13,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What I am trying to get at with your posts is exactly why you keep saying that Kiener reminds you of the War Memorial, and why you say that Kiener is not integrated into its surrounding area, which it certainly is.
Are there some similarities between the 2?
Yes, but I fail to see why thats a negative, you havent said why that is, in your opinion.
Do you see what I am getting at?
Its not like Kiener is marooned, or a wasteland, like Ballpark Village, which is another story.
I never said Keiner was not integrated, and I never said it was a negative place or even implied as such. If you got that from what I was saying, that is a failure of communication.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Sure any city can draw a good size crowd on the 4th. I'm not denying that but how about everyday?

Well, I suppose if you had a dance station in St Louis someone would listen unless they aren't open minded enough to see what other kind of music genre exists out there and aren't afraid to play it on air.
Obviously, you have not spent any time in the Lou to ask the question contained in your first sentence.
Also, you dont seem to grasp how radio stations work, they depend on this thing called demand, if there were any demand, there would be a station, see how that works?
No demand=no advertising clients, which means no $, which means no radio station.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,126,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
if only radio stations were the measure of a city....

st. louis actually does have one of the oldest and best independent community radio stations in the united states. lo and behold, at least one show features house and trance music! now we can be as cool as...

indianapolis.
Now that's what I'm talking about...good for St Louis. I wish more cities around the country would do this rather than just playing top 40 a hundred times a day. It gets boring. Don't get me wrong I don't hate St Louis I just prefer Indy as a personal preference. One thing I do miss over there is the toasted ravioli. Can't find any in Indy.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 PM

976 posts, read 1,814,009 times
i can't believe this discussion has devolved to radio stations. really, i can't believe it.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I never said Keiner was not integrated, and I never said it was a negative place or even implied as such. If you got that from what I was saying, that is a failure of communication.
I get that you dont like the Arch, although, I must say, you are the only person I have ever heard that compared a post-modern sculpture to a frown.
The only thing I can take away from this is that you just do not care for downtown STL, which you are certainly entitled to say, I just wanted to understand why, but its really not that important.
-shrugs-

Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i can't believe this discussion has devolved to radio stations. really, i can't believe it.
Yep, things that just make one scratch ones head and say "Why?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or