U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,631,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Monument Circle isn't 91 acres, but WRSP is 250 acres downtown. The circle is like your favorite watering hole you meet your friends at after work to wind down accept a lot of people meet there during work as well. No one said St. Louis residents wouldn't like the updates, I'm just saying it still will not serve the same purpose of Monument Circle and Monument Circle will never serve the same purpose as the arch. Both are grand in their own right esp. what they were designed for. As far as ESL well it would be beneficial for them and the state of Illinois to do something about it as it serves the entire STL metro that just happens to be in plain site of its downtown. Chicago has that same issue with NWI, in particular Gary. A city with a lot of issues and massive urban blight with what was once some splendid architecture. They are trying though and that's really all you can do when you have a massive uphill battle. But even Gary, thinks regionally and not on a state level since Indiana doesn't like them anyway and their association is Chicago way more than Indiana. It's the same for ESL, it has way more in common with STL than it ever will with Illinois.
As I pointed out to another poster, we have Kiener, which a lot of people use as a meeting point.
STL also has all of the wonderful neighborhoods that have been mentioned already, that people go and meet their friends after work in, and are also fortunate enough to live in, all within the city limits.
I do agree about E STL, but I dont see anything being done about it anytime soon.
It took decades for it to get that way, and it will take decades to do anything about.
IL is broke, so I fear that E STL is not even a consideration for them at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,114,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Trance Jesus
I love Trance

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
As I pointed out to another poster, we have Kiener, which a lot of people use as a meeting point.
STL also has all of the wonderful neighborhoods that have been mentioned already, that people go and meet their friends after work in, and are also fortunate enough to live in, all within the city limits.
I do agree about E STL, but I dont see anything being done about it anytime soon.
It took decades for it to get that way, and it will take decades to do anything about.
IL is broke, so I fear that E STL is not even a consideration for them at this point.
I've been to Keiner it is not as busy as Monument Circle. You don't have Washington Avenue running directly through it like you have Meridian or Market Streets meeting towards the circle. Monument Circle is essentially the "Heart" of the city where all roads meet (people). It is the main central theme of the city. Kenier is not in St Louis. When it comes to downtown St Louis most traffic don't come through Keiner anyway.

Also I have been to the Arch in person it is not a meeting place like Monument Circle. The Gateway Arch is mainly tourist traffic not the main meeting spot for locals. You could use the "hey we got the neighborhoods" argument but they are not centralized in "one" single area of the city for where people from all over meet. You can go to The Hill or Soulard but they aren't the main meeting area of the city. St Louis lacks a Jackson Square or Monument Circle.

Go to Europe and you'll see the "main" city squares or circles where people go to hang out. Even New Orleans has a popular busy Jackson Square like Monument Circle is for Indy. I can't really think of one in the Lou as busy as the two I've mentioned. I know first hand. It would be like saying IMS (home of Indy500) is the main meeting place of the city. It mainly attracts tourists from around the country and world. You could say IMS is to us what the Gateway Arch is to St Louis. However, it's not the main meet spot for locals.

msamhunter, you absolutely correct.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
I've been to Keiner it is not as busy as Monument Circle. You don't have Washington Avenue running directly through it like you have Meridian or Market Streets meeting towards the circle. Monument Circle is essentially the "Heart" of the city where all roads meet (people). It is the main central theme of the city. Kenier is not in St Louis. When it comes to downtown St Louis most traffic don't come through Keiner anyway.

Also I have been to the Arch in person it is not a meeting place like Monument Circle. The Gateway Arch is mainly tourist traffic not the main meeting spot for locals. You could use the "hey we got the neighborhoods" argument but they are not centralized in "one" single area of the city for where people from all over meet. You can go to The Hill or Soulard but they aren't the main meeting area of the city. St Louis lacks a Jackson Square or Monument Circle.

Go to Europe and you'll see the "main" city squares or circles where people go to hang out. Even New Orleans has a popular busy Jackson Square like Monument Circle is for Indy. I can't really think of one in the Lou as busy as the two I've mentioned. I know first hand. It would be like saying IMS (home of Indy500) is the main meeting place of the city. It mainly attracts tourists from around the country and world. You could say IMS is to us what the Gateway Arch is to St Louis. However, it's not the main meet spot for locals.

msamhunter, you absolutely correct.
I have to ask, as I may have missed it, how long did you live in St Louis, and when?
The answer to that question may well color your perceptions.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,207,021 times
I obviously live in STL, so I am bias, but Indy does have a lot to offer. I used to go to Indy at least once a year. I love what Indy has done with their downtown, very vibrant and lots to do. I do like the set up of monument circle. However, anyone that has spent time in both cities knows that STL is much more urban. STL's urban core is HUGE and the architecture is amazing. STL's mass transportation, while not perfect, still blows Indy out of the water.
I'm sure I could be happy living in Indy, but as a city dweller, STL is superior on most levels.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,938,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I obviously live in STL, so I am bias, but Indy does have a lot to offer. I used to go to Indy at least once a year. I love what Indy has done with their downtown, very vibrant and lots to do. I do like the set up of monument circle. However, anyone that has spent time in both cities knows that STL is much more urban. STL's urban core is HUGE and the architecture is amazing. STL's mass transportation, while not perfect, still blows Indy out of the water.
I'm sure I could be happy living in Indy, but as a city dweller, STL is superior on most levels.
I agree with this. STL is way more urban than Indianapolis and the transportations if far superior. I actually think that if Indy learns how to build a better mass transit system, it will help make more dense, vibrant neighborhoods. Overall I'd rather live in Indy just because I like downtown so much, but I don't think one city is much better than the other. I do have to say though that Indy seems to have the potential to become a much better city than it is right now.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:56 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,167,339 times
You know Indianapolis just doesn't consist of downtown and all suburban neighborhoods right? It has a nice amount of grit with old and new mixed in with it. The grit they really try to keep out of the main touristy areas of the city like Downtown and heading up north on meridian. Transportation in STL is far superior though. Doubt anyone in Indianapolis would doubt that. They used to have the street cars back in the day, Union Station was the perfect place in the perfect spot especially with the way dt is now.

Found some pictures online but probably a competitor forum so don't think I can post the link on here but they are pretty awesome including one from the highest point in the city at Crown Hill.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have to ask, as I may have missed it, how long did you live in St Louis, and when?
The answer to that question may well color your perceptions.
No, I lived in Missouri but not St Louis although I have been there countless times. I'm not saying Indianapolis is more urban in size compared to St Louis but keep in mind your city is also older and has had more time to develop. Our Washington Street corridor isn't as extensive as St Louis's Washington Avenue when it comes to dense historic buildings but we do also have plenty of them. When I first moved to Indy many years ago I didn't really like the city but in the past nearly 14 years I have seen so many new developments and improvements that made me change my mind. I do have to give downtown credit because it has really come a long way. The only thing I hate about the city is there is still no rapid regional transit yet despite the new highway improvements. There has been talk about it but nothing yet. Right now the Cultural Trail has taken me by surprise. It is so similar to t

Last edited by urbanologist; 07-12-2011 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 AM

3,008 posts, read 4,167,339 times
For everyone's enjoyment, found this and saw a poster post a link on here to a thread on this site. It has great photos of midwestern cities. Hope you all enjoy. Louisville looks fantastic!

Recovery 2010: Indianapolis, Detroit, & Cincinnati - SkyscraperPage Forum

Nice leisurely summer day
Indianapolis IN - 2010-07-04 *180 photos - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
No, I lived in Missouri but not St Louis although I have been there countless times. I'm not saying Indianapolis is more urban in size compared to St Louis but keep in mind your city is also older and has had more time to develop. Our Washington Street corridor isn't as extensive as St Louis's Washington Avenue when it comes to dense historic buildings but we do also have plenty of them. When I first moved to Indy many years ago I didn't really like the city but in the past nearly 14 years I have seen so many new developments and improvements that made me change my mind. I do have to give downtown credit because it has really come a long way. The only thing I hate about the city is there is still no rapid regional transit yet despite the new highway improvements. There has been talk about it but nothing yet. Right now the Cultural Trail has taken me by surprise. It is so similar to t
Yes, I am well aware of the fact that STL is older than Indy, the town I grew up in from the age of 10 is older than STL by about 20 years, its the oldest town in MO, to be precise, and about an hour downriver.
The history to be found in STL is one of the wonderful things about being a native, or a resident, its around every corner, and down every street, one just has to be aware that the history is there to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or