U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 AM

929 posts, read 1,696,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Definitely not the Blue Jackets. I'd say it's mostly Blackhawk fans, but I'm not really too into the NHL so I can't really say.
Something was making me think the Red Wings would be popular there. But thanks for your reply, as I wasn't sure how much of a fanbase the Blue Jackets have been able to develop outside of Columbus. I guess I could see a mix between Blackhawk and Red Wing fans, and maybe a limited number of Blues fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 AM

1,760 posts, read 2,935,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
I would think there both in the same vote. I think circle center mall will end up the same as St Louis Center . The one difference is I think St Louis has already hit bottom but Indianapolis is just starting to die and thats only the downtowns im talkin about.
How is Indianapolis starting to die with a 97% occupancy rate in apartments downtown and thousands of new units being built every year? Not to mention getting the Super Bowl this year and landing more and more conventions every year. Circle Center will definitely not fail considering it is always busy and is located across the street from Simon Property Group's worldwide headquarters. The only retail space in the mall that has stayed empty for an extended period of time is the Nordstrom space, which closed over the summer. The only reason it closed was because Indianapolis is too small to support that Nordstrom along with the new one on the North side of the city.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,461,330 times
I'd choose Indianapolis. While it's smaller, it is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (none of those frontage roads alongside interstates), has a nicer-looking skyline, and seems to have fewer urban problems. All this said, I'd never leave the South.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
I'd choose Indianapolis. While it's smaller, it is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye (none of those frontage roads alongside interstates), has a nicer-looking skyline, and seems to have fewer urban problems. All this said, I'd never leave the South.
You do realize that the frontage roads are only in St Charles county on I70, right?

Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You do realize that the frontage roads are only in St Charles county on I70, right?
Perhaps, and it looks horrible.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Perhaps, and it looks horrible.
No perhaps about it.
Yeah, lets judge a whole city based on one highway.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,295 times
Texas also have many frontage service roads for easier access. What's wrong with having them?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Texas also have many frontage service roads for easier access. What's wrong with having them?
Apparently the aesthetic beauty of suburbia is suffering because of frontage roads.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:12 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Everything. They are awful and they are not in StL for the most part, just way out in St Charles County.

As far as Indy vs StL.

St Louis wins this by quite a bit. I think StL is in a complete different tier than Indy when it comes to cities and what they offer residents and tourists. It's really not even close.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
No perhaps about it.
Yeah, lets judge a whole city based on one highway.
You're right. There are nice parts of the St. Louis area, but I-70 looks horrible because of the frontage roads.

Frontage roads actually make traffic worse, despite claims to the contrary. Their location directly beside the interstate causes problems with exiting traffic being able to merge onto the secondary roads at the end of the exit ramps. This is because the frontage road is usually only a hop, skip, and a jump away from the interchange, and because it includes a traffic light which, when red, forces traffic to block up the intersection so that it becomes very difficult for exiting traffic to merge onto the secondary street, or to even merge, so that they can then take a left onto the frontage road. It results in large numbers of accidents, I'm fairly certain, not to mention that exiting traffic is often backed up onto the interstate which is dangerous.

Frontage roads are also ripe for cheap development and over-development because developers see the proximity and access to the interstate, as well as visuals from the interstate, as prime ground to locate a business. What happens is that you end up with a hodge podge of large towering signs littering the landscape with a plethora of businesses from RV dealerships to restaurants, to office buildings, often within the same general area without any consistency according to how things are usually zoned. It just looks tacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or