Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What does "white flight" have to do with frontage roads? There are plenty of areas in this country that developed at the apex of "white flight" and don't have frontage roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Frontage roads are also in St Louis so how that ties into "white flight" is beyond me.
It has everything to do with how St Chuck was built out with the frontage roads.
The build out along I70 was very willy-nilly and with very little forethought or supervision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 01:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmanuelGoldstein View Post
Shocking, the KC photo spammer disses Indy once again. Is there a city you dislike more than Indy? I'm guessing you're opinion of the city is based on driving through it on I-70 a few times. (Nah, this is the internet, you'll say you've got family here or something and you've spent a considerable amount of time here and we'll be expected to believe it.)

Personally, you're beloved KC, which you believe is the brightest beacon of western civilization, does not compare to Indy very well and I know this from living in both. You're a homer so I don't expect you to understand why, but I digress.

As for this comparison, I actually love both cities and believe that both have something different to offer. If I were looking for a great urban neighborhood to live in the StL wins hands down. For anything else, Indy all the way.
You know, it's okay to like some cities better than others. I have spent a great deal of time in just about all the bigger cities in the country and I rank them according to my tastes on cities.

First off, KC is far from my favorite city. It's just my hometown and I'm pretty passionate about the place. I wouldn't even rank it in the top ten as far as my favorite cities. I get ripped pretty hard by the kc peepes when I post that places like Denver and Minneapolis are better than KC. I do however think KC is extremely underrated as few know even the slightest thing about the place, even a good portion of the people that live there and yea, I like KC better than Indy for reasons that I have already posted.

It feels larger, more urban and has more of the things to do that I enjoy doing. It's a large, regional, established, city with an interesting and vibrant urban core and so I think KC offers more than a city like Indy or OKC or Nashville or Charlotte and will defend and promote KC against those places even though that doesn't mean I don't like those places. But then I will also say where KC comes up short against St Loius, Denver, Seattle etc which makes the kc people think I hate KC!

So, if KC trumps Indy, then StL surly does because I like StL slightly better than KC for some of the same reasons I like KC better than Indy.

StLouis is far more urban and built up and simply larger than Indy. StL has MLB and NHL plus NFL (I don't care about NBA). StL has more vibrant urban neighborhoods, StL has a large theme park right in the city, fox theater, Forest Park, a much more appealing topography etc. StL is just a much more appealing city to me than Indy.

I don't dislike Indy, I just find it somewhat overated and minor leaguish and in a part of the country (central indiana) that I don't care for. That said, I would still probably rank Indy in my top 20 city list simply because the area still has 2 million people (about my minimum), it's close to many other major cities and it's not in the far south or in texas. It's just not my favorite place.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-19-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
It has everything to do with how St Chuck was built out with the frontage roads.
The build out along I70 was very willy-nilly and with very little forethought or supervision.
Usually frontage roads are there to to help relieve some of the congestion off the interstate and other local roads so you have less bottle neck at the exits. It's designed to separate "local traffic" from the interstate and other local roads to keep the traffic moving.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:16 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Usually frontage roads are there to to help relieve some of the congestion off the interstate and other local roads so you have less bottle neck at the exits. It's designed to separate "local traffic" from the interstate and other local roads to keep the traffic moving.
But they keep all the traffic right in the interstate corridor rather than spreading it out and is creates almost zero mixed use opportunities. Commercial development is along the freeway and residential is behind the commercial.

It's not the traffic that I don't like about frontage roads, it's just how ugly the corridors can get aesthetically especially as they age.

Some of the older stretches freeway in the DFW area and San Antonio, Houston etc just looks terrible with deteriorating strip malls, tall commercial signs, vacate chain restaurants etc and the rural areas are just cluttered with freeway frontage development even in rural areas like between Dallas and Waco.

There is only a small stretch of frontage road development in StLouis while it is pretty cluttered out there.

I don't think the frontage roads in StL (st charles) are one-way with u-turn ramps like what most of Texas has. That (two way frontage roads) makes traffic flow much more complicated and less efficient. But I think it actually helps keep the area vibrant (leased). True texas one-way frontage roads with the texas u-turns can be hard on retail and restaurants due to complicated access.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-19-2011 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 PM

It's easier for trucks to get on and off interstates rather than look for a parking lot to get turned around in if going the wrong way. Also the businesses are closer to access to the freeway. The great thing about Texas u truns is not waiting for a stupid light that takes forever to change while holding everyone up.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The build out was enormous, and happened very quickly.
St Chuck county was one of the fastest growing counties in the US in the late 60s- early 70s.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:00 PM

This St Chuck county still the fastest growing in the St Louis metro?

Old 12-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
This St Chuck county still the fastest growing in the St Louis metro?
Pretty much....it slowed down in the 80s and the 90s, but has stepped up again.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:13 PM

50 posts, read 115,195 times
I like living in Indy, but wish we had a Ted Drews.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
Both are great midwestern cities, Ive been to both of them and I love both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City