U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

711 posts, read 1,869,991 times

Advertisements

Downtown St Louis has come a long way, but it does still have a ways to go as far as activity on the street.

That being said, St Louis has wonderful neighborhoods - one of them being the one I proudly represent, Dogtown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM

711 posts, read 1,869,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le garçon d'Indianapolis View Post
I feel safe in Indy, but I won't feel safe in St. Louis. It's full of murderers, robbers, hookers, everything bad you could think of. And it's the center of Neo-Nazi in America and they gonna kill me if I go there. I ain't that stupid to leave my sweet Hoosier home and go to such a "hell on the earth"!
I won't even justify this with a response. I think anyone with a level head and half a brain could see right through such an ignorant response.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,969 times
Monument circle is a damn fine use of land in what I personally find to be an otherwise unremarkable city. There should be more works like it.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
If my choices of Midwestern cities came down to these two, I would choose where I live now. I think St. Louis has more history, at one time it was one of the largest and most powerful cities in the country. Indianapolis I agree is more like Chicago in that it never truly suffered the effects of the Rust Belt like St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, and Milwaukee. St. Louis has ultimately more in common with those three cities I think than Indianapolis does. Indianapolis has a certain feel to it that St. Louis County does...it feels new, its growing, its architecturally similar..in some cases I thought of it as a much bigger version of downtown Clayton. St. Louis and Indianapolis essentially represent two different faces of the Midwest...the parts that escaped the Rust Belt effects/urban decay and the parts that didn't. But St. Louis is making a comeback, and its metro area is thriving. St. Louis also isn't a part of its county, a disadvantage Indy never suffered from.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM

767 posts, read 1,828,231 times
St. Louis seems to be winning by alot here. I think that it is an older, larger, and overall better known/better publicized area than Indianapolis. Indy is a great town, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't seem to have the visibility of St. Louis. Closer comparisons for the STL area might include Cleveland, Pittsburg, Minneapolis-St. Paul, or Cincinnati. Closer comparisons for Indy might include places more like Columbus.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 07-01-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:00 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,802,779 times
Interesting thread for me because I live in Indy and have family in the St. Louis area. St. Louis' advantages include being an older, more established city. Its zoo is world-renowed, there's a lot of neat architecture and a bit more of an ethnic vibe. At the same time, the level of decay in some areas of St. Louis (particularly North City) is staggering, and the relationship between the city and county residents is at times toxic. I do like the light rail development there.

I think the corporate environment in Indy is better, and Indy's downtown is more vibrant. Indy has good neighborhoods as well, race relations are better here, and from what I'm told, it's less parochial than St. Louis. Indiana > Missouri, IMO. True, the Ozarks are beautiful, but when you get away from the major cities in MO (STL, KC and Springfield), you might think you're in Arkansas. Of course, Colts > Rams.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,102,864 times
University City, MO is the only place in STL metro I could live.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Interesting thread for me because I live in Indy and have family in the St. Louis area. St. Louis' advantages include being an older, more established city. Its zoo is world-renowed, there's a lot of neat architecture and a bit more of an ethnic vibe. At the same time, the level of decay in some areas of St. Louis (particularly North City) is staggering, and the relationship between the city and county residents is at times toxic. I do like the light rail development there.

I think the corporate environment in Indy is better, and Indy's downtown is more vibrant. Indy has good neighborhoods as well, race relations are better here, and from what I'm told, it's less parochial than St. Louis. Indiana > Missouri, IMO. True, the Ozarks are beautiful, but when you get away from the major cities in MO (STL, KC and Springfield), you might think you're in Arkansas. Of course, Colts > Rams.
If you're talking about that for the whole state, you're badly mistaken. Not to mention, the Ozarks don't cover a very big portion of Arkansas...just the North Central and Northwestern portions. Arkansas lies much more in the Gulf Coastal Plain and the Mississippi Delta. Culturally and in terms of dialects are pretty much the same story...Missouri in the Ozarks becomes more like Arkansas the further south you go, less like it the farther north. Outside of the Ozarks, rural Missouri feels a lot like Iowa. Endless farmland with rolling hills. Culturally and dialectually in that part of the state. The only time in Missouri I've ever felt like I was in Arkansas and Kentucky was when I visited the southeastern portion of the state around Cape Girardeau. Southern culture, dialect, cotton fields, cuisine, was all incredibly prominent there...I felt like I was in Little Rock, Memphis, and Louisville. The rest of the southern half of the state for the most part just doesn't completely fit the definition of Southern, despite the fact that it does have obvious Southern influence.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:42 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
I don't notice the southern accent much in Cape actually. I probably have it a tiny bit, though. But I don't think Cape's accent is the same as some place like Kennett.

Actually, our teacher in school used to make fun of people from the Bootheel and the way they talked.

I had an ITV college class and kids from Portageville and Sikeston had a more noticeable accent than us or fellow students from Piedmont and Ellington or Van Buren.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:07 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,331,660 times
Haven't actually visited either (hope to do so in due time), but Indy seems to be a bit more progressive than St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or