U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
St. Louis, MO 79 67.52%
Indianapolis, IN 38 32.48%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 08:47 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,095,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Clayton's Downtown but it's part of St. Louis County, it's about 7-10 miles out from the St. Louis DT but is easily viewable from the right places. It's obviously smaller also.
If you are attempting to count Clayton as being one of St. Louis's downtowns; then Indianapolis has 5 downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 AM

198 posts, read 551,768 times
Then I guess Indianapolis has 5 down towns then lol, I guess you could call Clayton Dowtown just a Business District but it's def. part of the St. Louis Skyline. It's also has bars, resturants, boutiques, condos, highrises,and everything else any other downtown would have. It's just not considered a part of St. Louis City because of the way the county and city is seperated. You can easily see it in the background in that link I posted earlier though.

One thing I just thought about is that the Indianapolis water front runs circles around STL. It's very well put together while we haven't really put much thought into ours besides adding a large steel arch and converting old warehouses into clubs.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:07 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsmoore View Post
Then I guess Indianapolis has 5 down towns then lol, I guess you could call Clayton Dowtown just a Business District but it's def. part of the St. Louis Skyline. It's also has bars, resturants, boutiques, condos, highrises,and everything else any other downtown would have. It's just not considered a part of St. Louis City because of the way the county and city is seperated. You can easily see it in the background in that link I posted earlier though.

One thing I just thought about is that the Indianapolis water front runs circles around STL. It's very well put together while we haven't really put much thought into ours besides adding a large steel arch and converting old warehouses into clubs.
Every large city has more than one employment/business center...but only one is designated as "downtown" - usually the original, historic center of the city.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,048,045 times
indy is a nice town but it has nothing on St.Louis

Old 07-06-2009, 10:34 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,272,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I'm sure Indy is beautiful. I remember a nice children's museum there.

But I love STL. I'm a big Cardinal fan as well. And the Blues! Not as much of a football fan.
But St. Louis has a lot of stuff to do, and a lot of good food. And it's bigger than Indy.

I would post some pics, but I don't want to step on anybody's toes as far as copyrights.
The Childrens Museum in Indianapolis is the largest Childrens museum in the world. That place is pretty cool. I love the Water Clock and the Bookstore there.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,272,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Of course Indianapolis is full of hoosiers...it's in the Hoosier state!
The Hoosier State is amazing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Uh-huh. Now, for every anti-STL post on this site, there's gotta be five times as many anti-Indy posts.

All I hear people say is "suburb" this and "culture" that. I'd bet half of those people have never even been to Indy.

No one seems to mention the things that make that city great, like the wonderful quality of life, thriving economy, vibrant downtown, friendly locals, sports culture, etc. It is a greatly underrated city, much moreso than St. Louis. Of course, I'm the bad guy for defending it. Only here, though.
Also Indianapolis is weathing the economic storm pretty fairly. Also Indianapolis has some great local restaurants and an active nightlife. Indianapolis has great shopping amenities and is home to the Worlds tallest Christmas Tree. You should see it on a cool snowy night. It's so spectacular with all the lights. Also to mention that Indianapolis has a very low population density which means their is lots of space. Indianapolis also has lots of recreational oppurtunities. Eagle Creek Park is one of the largest City parks in the world. Indianapolis is an economically competitive city. Home to several Fortune 500 companies. I agree that Indianapolis is a greatly underrated city.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,021,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by History Rules View Post
If it where gone tomorrow what would be missed about it that couldn't be found in other cities. Where have you seen Indianapolis style anything? I think of shopping malls and suburbs with the Olive Gardne being an exciting night out. City has no identity. However in no way is it a bad city, streets fairly clean, cost of living not bad but it just lacks panache, something you drive through on the way from Cincinnatti to Chicago. For example if you where driving through from one of those cities to the other, why would you stop?
Here is the Forbes list for the most visited cities in America back in 2007.

Forbes:Americas 30 most visited cities!
1.Las Vegas 38.9 million.
2.Los Angeles 58.6 million
3.Orlando 47.8 million visitors
4.New York City 44 million visitors
5.Chicago 41.3 million
6.Washington D.C. 36.9 million
7.Atlanta 37 million visitors
8.San Diego 32.2 million visitors
9.Houston 31 million vistors
10.Dallas 22.3 million visitors
11.Philadephia 27.7 million
12.Phoenix-Scottsdale 21.7 million
13.Anaheim,CA 18.4 million visitors
14.San Francisco 15.8 million visitors
15.Miami 15.8 million visitors
16.Boston 17.6 million vistors
17.San Antonio 20 million visitors.(21.7 according to SACVB)
18.St.Louis 20.3 million visitors.
19.Tampa/St.Petersburg 16.9 million visitors
20.Minneapolis/St.Paul 18.3 million visitors
21.Seattle-Tacoma 15.7 million vistors.
22.Indianapolis 21.7 million visitors
23.Detroit 15.9 million visitors
24.Austin 19 million visitors
25.Denver 14.5 million
26.Charlotte 16.6 million visitors
27.Nashville 13.5 million
28.Kansas City 16.5 million visitors
29.Ft.lauderdale 12.3 million
30.Baltimore 12 million vistors

http://www.forbestraveler.com/best-l...ies-story.html

I don't see Cincy on this list. Also, Indy had 1.4 million more visitors than St. Louis (eventhough STL was ranked 4 spots above Indy). Anyway, American travelers have spoken. Indy wins!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 05:10 AM

1,273 posts, read 3,937,690 times
Indianapolis is much nicer overall IMO. St. Louis has had its day. Indianapolis has just arrived.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:17 PM

570 posts, read 1,813,723 times
I like that Indianapolis has energy and forward thinking leaders but...while St. Louis has it's inner city problems, there's no way to compare the arts, culture, business, history, amenities. St. Louis wins in those categories.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM

689 posts, read 1,209,701 times
I'd go with STL.

I've never been to Indy, so I'm just going from photos and what I've heard (from knowledgeable people).

Indy's downtown seems to be very "nice" and "clean" - but outside of the DT, there doesn't seem to be much else in the city that would appeal to me. In a downtown competition, Indy would probably be beter than STL - but when it comes to great urban neighborhoods, STL has a clear advantage.

STL also has a clear advantage in historic architecture.

I'm sure Indy is a fine city, it just seems a bit bland to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or