U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 20,515 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating a move within the next year. This question is mostly for those who have lived in both areas, but anyone is welcome to answer.

Which location would be better to live in in terms of safety, job opportunities (i have a degree in web design), and affordable housing (keeping in mind the ratio of income to cost of living).

I have a little boy (6 years old), so I am hoping to be near good schools.

And any other tips or advice are welcome as well.

Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 AM

112 posts, read 603,622 times
your best bet is to check out the schools in both areas if that is your main concern for your son. nyc has excellent options for both public and private schools. are you referring to manhattan by any chance? or the surrounding boroughs? i'd say avoid bronx unless you live in riverdale, and in staten island you'd need a car. queens and brooklyn have some excellent neighborhoods, with more queens areas tending to be family-oriented. a great resource for reviewing public schools in new york is Insideschools.org - New York City public school guide, reviews, statistics, and forums.

i feel as though when you are younger, living in nyc is great and making the transition to CA when older is probably easier but the same can't be said for the reverse (usually because of the weather). i am glad, though, you are not considering L.A. (some of the WORST public schools in the country).

Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,068 times
I would not recommend moving to NYC with a kid. I lived in San Diego and moved to New York over a year ago. There is no affordable housing in here unless you are ok with crappy apartments somewhere way out there in Maspeth. Seriously, think it through, I can wait to be moving back to California.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
San Jose or SF may provide opportunities for what you do; however, I have heard many complaints about the public schools in SF. I've read that many parents either enroll their children in private schools, or just uproot and move elsewhere. But I do not know why.

You would enjoy what the SJ-SF areas have to offer, though. You needn't drive far if you want to go camping or enjoy a long stretch of the beach (a great, various coastline, with attractions, from Half-Moon Bay thru Santa Cruz and Monterey). If you like to hike, Yosemite is only a few hours away, as are the Sierras.

If anyone suffers seasonal misery with allergies, SF is at the bottom for this problem. I assume it's from the crisp, windy salt air.

Traffic congestion is an absolute nightmare of Hell in and all-around that entire area, though, even with all the various mass-transit.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,733,092 times
Overall getting affordable housing/better public schools might be easier in San Diego. I have no idea about the employment opportunities.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
San Diego has a lot to offer, especially North County Inland where the prices are not as high, relatively speaking, since San Diego County can be expensive. The schools are top notch in and around this area, especially in the Poway district. In this area, you might find a 2BR condo rental around $1600 and a ranch house in the neighborhood of $2000-2400 for a 3BR/2BA.

Have you thought about the greater Irvine area? OC has a good number of employment opportunities, especially in and around Irvine, Costa Mesa, Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Newport. Housing can be expensive in OC, especially in the better school districts, but it might be worth checking into, since it would likely be less expensive than San Francisco or New York and you might find an opportunity there in your field. A 2BR in Irvine runs from around $1700 usually, but you could also consider nearby Lake Forest, where you could find a 2BR starting around $1500. Saddleback School District is excellent in the Lake Forest area.

San Diego and OC communities rank among the safest, and they can be great places for children. North County Inland San Diego is a little warmer, being further from the coast, whereas Irvine has more of the coastal climate. I think that in your situation, I would tend to look to California, since the schools in New York can be a mixed bag, and you would be paying a premium for the price paid. New York is wonderful, but with an elementary age child to consider, I'd be more apt to pick California and take some vacation time in New York.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM

371 posts, read 990,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agasss4 View Post
I would not recommend moving to NYC with a kid. I lived in San Diego and moved to New York over a year ago. There is no affordable housing in here unless you are ok with crappy apartments somewhere way out there in Maspeth. Seriously, think it through, I can wait to be moving back to California.
Wrong with property values going up and the mayors plan to build new affordable housing and renovate old beat down buildings apart of the project for affordable housing. Plus there are some homes that go up for this thing called the housing lottery where you can get an affordable home if chosen. There are lot of people with kids who live in NYC so affordability is based on how much money you can make

Old 08-27-2008, 03:29 PM

838 posts, read 902,923 times
As a SD native, I can tell you that the job market is NOT good. It never has been. If you can possibly establish yourself down there..then by all means do so..and hold onto it for life. Otherwise, SF is better for jobs.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:00 PM
rqr

1 posts, read 5,853 times
Just being in San francisco can cure a thousand illneses.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:18 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,066,626 times
San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or