U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Boston V.S. Atlanta
Boston 166 71.55%
Atlanta 66 28.45%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
 
5,760 posts, read 13,326,187 times
Reputation: 4523

Advertisements

Would those who describe Boston as racist give examples? I'd also be interested in knowing how long either person actually spent there, for some idea about how likely these users are to really know the nuances of what goes on in Boston. I'd be ready to deal with any legitimate examples that people knowledgeable about Boston can offer. Brief, general statements like "Boston is racist," without supporting examples weaken these accusations. It looks too much as if you're just going with a thirty-year-old stereotype based largely on one particular issue (school integration) that hung over the city of Boston in the '70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 4,213,428 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Exactly...I spent a lot of time in Boston and didn't like it at all - went to Provincetown as often as possible. The racism there hangs in the air much like the humidity.
OMG!
What a complete load of horse dung.
You people have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about!
Boston is no more racist than anywhere else in this country. For you people to sit there in whatever city you are in and make the preposterous claims that you are making is idiocy and ignorance.

If your city of choice is losing in this poll, deal with it with grace, not stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,105,953 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
OMG!
What a complete load of horse dung.
You people have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about!
Boston is no more racist than anywhere else in this country. For you people to sit there in whatever city you are in and make the preposterous claims that you are making is idiocy and ignorance.

If your city of choice is losing in this poll, deal with it with grace, not stupidity.
Besides, Atlanta is the most racist city I've encountered in the country, and I've encountered most of them. Racism works in both directions, despite what Spike Lee or my college sociology professor would tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
 
29 posts, read 113,452 times
Reputation: 37
I really don't like either city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Augusta GA
880 posts, read 2,468,059 times
Reputation: 357
Lets see, my favorite big city (Boston) and my least favorite (Atlanta). I guess I will choose Boston!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 PM
 
Location: New England & The Maritimes
2,116 posts, read 4,063,512 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Exactly...I spent a lot of time in Boston and didn't like it at all - went to Provincetown as often as possible. The racism there hangs in the air much like the humidity.
not only is the claim that Boston is racist completely unfounded but it is definitely the least humid city on the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,807,007 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Besides, Atlanta is the most racist city I've encountered in the country, and I've encountered most of them. Racism works in both directions, despite what Spike Lee or my college sociology professor would tell you.
You have lost your mind...completely untrue and obviously a stereotypical perception of Atlanta's region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,807,007 times
Reputation: 2762
Man, these Boston folks are fiercly defensive about their racism...they get mean...and want PROOF that Boston is a racist town - like anyone could prove something like that online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 03:33 AM
 
5,760 posts, read 13,326,187 times
Reputation: 4523
If people really believe Boston is racist, based on their own observations, not because someone told them that one of his friends said it had that reputation, then there must have been observations and experiences that led to that conclusion. What are some of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,418 posts, read 4,105,953 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Man, these Boston folks are fiercly defensive about their racism...they get mean...and want PROOF that Boston is a racist town - like anyone could prove something like that online.

First you tell me I've lost my mind and simply deny that Atlanta is virulently racist (I lived there, I know what I'm talking about) then you follow it up by reiterating Bostonians' racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top