U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live, if given a $100k a year job?
Oregon 66 47.48%
Washington 73 52.52%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 21,063,119 times
What John Shaft said. Live in WA, but go shopping in OR.

The postulated situation is pretty close to my actual situation. Oregon is great to visit but has some featueres (can't pump your own gas, for example) that would get on my nerves over time....

A lot of friends here hunt deer/elk in Oregon, buying an out of state license, because the game management just seems better.

Really, the states are almost twins, there is more difference between the East and West of it than the north/south of the Columbia of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 01:32 AM

2,222 posts, read 4,312,703 times
This is very tough. If we were talking Seattle/Portland, I'd pick Portland. If it were the suburbs of those two, I'd pick the Seattle suburbs. East of the Cascades? I'd pick Washington. Olympic Peninsula-West Sound/Oregon Coast... Don't know if I can make up my mind. Southern OR/Southern WA... definitely Southern OR.

If you're making that much a year, then the income tax/sales tax/COLs will kind of even it out.

I've gotten used to pumping my own gas when out of state so I think I could probably deal with that in Washington if I were making six figures. It's kind of a toss up for me, but I am probably more biased towards Oregon.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:47 AM

35,818 posts, read 54,077,695 times
Washington, the sole reason being the maritime recreational opportunities afforded by the Seattle area. Other than that, through these Midwestern eyes it's like asking if you'd rather have a peach or a nectarine: too little difference to matter or care.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,584,378 times
They're both beautiful states, but I always thought Washington was the prettiest. Not only that, there is no state income tax in Washington.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 9,870 times
Best to live at the border: Live in Vancouver, WA so you don't pay income tax. Then, go shopping in Portland, OR so you don't pay sales tax.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,148 times
I would choose Washington because of the north American rain forest/Olympic rain forest in the western peninsula (and in B.C.).

Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM

537 posts, read 1,370,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noun's Mom View Post
Best to live at the border: Live in Vancouver, WA so you don't pay income tax. Then, go shopping in Portland, OR so you don't pay sales tax.
Oregonians don't have to pay sales tax in Washington, and if you buy a car in Oregon if you live in Washington you have to pay sales tax. I'm not a big fan of the Couve so i'd never live there. I'd rather live in Portland and go to Seattle every once in a while.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 4,312,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsihp View Post
I would choose Washington because of the north American rain forest/Olympic rain forest in the western peninsula (and in B.C.).
The North American rain forest stretches from Humboldt County, California all the way up to Southeast Alaska.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:18 PM

86 posts, read 220,997 times
washington state by farrrrrr. oregon is ok, the only thing i think is good about oregon is no sales tax. other than that, it feels like a wannabe washington.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 AM

4 posts, read 9,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
Oregonians don't have to pay sales tax in Washington, and if you buy a car in Oregon if you live in Washington you have to pay sales tax. I'm not a big fan of the Couve so i'd never live there. I'd rather live in Portland and go to Seattle every once in a while.
I'd prefer to pay car sales tax (live in WA) rather than have to pay state income tax (live in OR). Simple math tells me that as long as I don't buy a car every few months. Actually, I don't really care anymore (WA or OR) because since I wrote last time, I've moved out of the Northwest (after 29 years in the Seattle area) to be somewhere sunny and warmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City