U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: St Paul, MN - NJ's Gold Coast
5,256 posts, read 11,595,546 times
Reputation: 3072

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think you're failing to understand that I essentially agree with you as far as the practicality of all of this is concerned. I was simply making a statement of fact. NC's largest urban areas are based/centered in NC. NJ's largest urban areas are based/centered in neighboring states. That's just how it is. NJ's biggest benefit is proximity, whereas NC has produced the major cities that drive its economy within its own borders. Just a fact; take it as you will.
You can say that, or you can say NYC and Philly are based/centered right next to New Jersey.
More than Half of NYC's and Philly's metro area is in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,194 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Reputation: 60086
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I was aware of this (especailly since I go to school in Newark and have friends from Sussex, Warren, and Hunterdon Counties), I was just pointing out what most people think of when they think of North Jersey.
I know, wasn't directed at you personally. Just had to say it--some of us have been battling this misperception of North Jersey as a concrete-and-oil-tank wasteland for decades!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
You can say that, or you can say NYC and Philly are based/centered right next to New Jersey.
More than Half of NYC's and Philly's metro area is in NJ.
It's true ... 5.5 Million people make up the direct Northern NJ metropolitian region of NY. Compare that to 2.8 million in ALL of Long Island, less than 1 Million in southwestern Connecticut, and less than 1 Million in Westchester. To put it in perspective, there are roughly 1.5 million MORE people in the NJ suburbs of NYC than in the NY suburbs of NYC.

Not many people outside the region realize just how important NJ is in the NY media market. Heck, many people WITHIN the region don't realize this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
 
1,605 posts, read 3,314,063 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know, wasn't directed at you personally. Just had to say it--some of us have been battling this misperception of North Jersey as a concrete-and-oil-tank wasteland for decades!
I know what you mean, I've been doing the same for Jesey as a whole (and for less time being that I've only been alive for 2 decades)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,891 posts, read 3,854,176 times
Reputation: 1707
NC.

I can pretty much enjoy the same things that I can in NJ (plus more...like the Mountains) without the feeling of being jam packed like a sardine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM
 
22,770 posts, read 25,182,020 times
Reputation: 14506
North Carolina, because we have better people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 05:04 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,646 posts, read 4,995,231 times
Reputation: 2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
North Carolina, because we have better people.
Evident by such a classy post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,096,552 times
Reputation: 1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I think you're failing to understand that I essentially agree with you as far as the practicality of all of this is concerned. I was simply making a statement of fact. NC's largest urban areas are based/centered in NC. NJ's largest urban areas are based/centered in neighboring states. That's just how it is. NJ's biggest benefit is proximity, whereas NC has produced the major cities that drive its economy within its own borders. Just a fact; take it as you will.
NYC's economy is attached at the hip to Northern NJ's. I think what a lot of people don't understand is that Northern NJ is a suburb outside of NYC. We grew up calling it "the city", just like people in suburban Chicago refer to Chicago, and people in the Boston suburbs refer to Boston, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2010, 05:38 PM
 
1,605 posts, read 3,314,063 times
Reputation: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
NC.

I can pretty much enjoy the same things that I can in NJ (plus more...like the Mountains) without the feeling of being jam packed like a sardine.
I can drive to the Poconos or North Jersey and like I said before, I live in a Rural area of NJ and am anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
North Carolina, because we have better people.
Depends where you go in each state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,842,221 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
NYC's economy is attached at the hip to Northern NJ's. I think what a lot of people don't understand is that Northern NJ is a suburb outside of NYC. We grew up calling it "the city", just like people in suburban Chicago refer to Chicago, and people in the Boston suburbs refer to Boston, etc, etc.
I'm very well aware of that. No one is doubting that NYC's and Philly's influence extends very significantly into NJ, because they do. My only point is that the cities that exert the most influence here in NC are actually here in NC. The state actually produced those cities, and NC isn't just lucky due to proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top