U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 05:12 PM

324 posts, read 582,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Based on what? Lower salaries? Don't forget we have an overall lower cost of living as well.

And there is no major city in the state of NJ either.

We've always been larger than NJ, but we haven't always had a higher population. We're becoming more and more progressive,which is why we're growing faster.
Based on a lower quality of jobs.

NJ is only 8,729 square miles, which is the size of most metro areas. Also, they are sandwiched in between Philly and NYC. Therefore, I don't expect NJ to have a major city. However, NJ has Jersey City, which can compete with Charlotte by population, urban feel, culture and skyline. Also, many believe Jersey City exceeds Charlotte.

SMH, the only reason why NC is growing faster than NJ is because the size of the state is six times NJ. NJ is the same size land wise as Dallas, Houston and Atlanta metro areas and has around 2.2.-3.0 more people. There is nowhere for NJ to go except for up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 06:00 PM

31 posts, read 29,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

NJ population density= 1,171.1 persons per square mile
NC population density= 186.0 persons per square mile

That's right. The most crowded state in the US.

It shows itself in

Phony. arrogant self-centered people and a stressful .useless, health destroying way of life.

I know NJ has some attractive countryside, but come on, the trees, lakes, mountains of NC just blow it away. It's no contest.

The people in NJ (and the entire tri state area for that matter) look at life entirely through a dollar$$$ sign. Some people want a little bit more meaning in this life.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:15 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,929,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoolong View Post
That's right. The most crowded state in the US.

It shows itself in

Phony. arrogant self-centered people and a stressful .useless, health destroying way of life.

I know NJ has some attractive countryside, but come on, the trees, lakes, mountains of NC just blow it away. It's no contest.

The people in NJ (and the entire tri state area for that matter) look at life entirely through a dollar$$$ sign. Some people want a little bit more meaning in this life.
I'm not and I don't.
I know some pretty arrogant people, but they're most of the time rich. Like many rich people, no matter where they live, they're arrogant. NJ just happens to have the most wealthy people per capita... There you go.
I don't let it bother me (you seem to have a personal issue with that). I personally meet great, charismatic, warm hearted people very often throughout this state.

I hate when people like you vent, whine and complain about how horrible NJians are (like you sound any better) when I feel like i'm one of the few people on this site who is respectful and open-minded towards other people... I was born and raised in NJ

Last edited by BPerone201; 03-27-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,405,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm not and I don't.
I know some pretty arrogant people, but they're most of the time rich. Like many rich people, no matter where they live, they're arrogant. NJ just happens to have the most wealthy people per capita... There you go.
I don't let it bother me (you seem to have a personal issue with that). I personally meet great, charismatic, warm hearted people very often throughout this state.

I hate when people like you vent, whine and complain about how horrible NJians are (like you sound any better) when I feel like i'm one of the few people on this site who is respectful and open-minded towards other people... I was born and raised in NJ
^ What he said.

I'm from the country side part of NJ and believe me to us, the fact that NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation is like a gigantic joke. Also, I will take the farms and marshes of Cumberland County over NC any day.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
^ What he said.

I'm from the country side part of NJ and believe me to us, the fact that NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation is like a gigantic joke. Also, I will take the farms and marshes of Cumberland County over NC any day.

Have you ever been into the deep woods of the south. It's so lush with beautiful different vegetation (trees,plants etc). I know that parts of NJ are nice. But the scenery in NC is really picturesque

Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been into the deep woods of the south. It's so lush with beautiful different vegetation (trees,plants etc). I know that parts of NJ are nice. But the scenery in NC is really picturesque
No, but I expect it to be simmiler to the deep woods in NJ (not in the Pines obviously) plus even more humidity and kudzo. (Mind you I'm not knocking NC, I'm just say that both states have VERY picturesque areas with lush varying vegetation. The Pines are home to more ecosystems than some states if I remember correctly.)

Old 04-01-2010, 08:22 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,275,128 times
Quote:
There is a photography book that I saw in Barnes and Noble a few months back on NJ, and even to me as a NJ guy, I was floored by some of the photos and locales. I should have purchased the book. Every state has beautiful areas, and it is foolish to think otherwise, but honestly there are some parts of NJ that are so beautiful that it's jaw-dropping. It's very tragic to me, and my fellow NJians, that some people outside of NJ are completely oblivious to this.

Anyway, what NJ really has over NC is a huge variety of high-end, gorgeous suburbs. NJ is far and away the most suburban state in the US. Yes, NC has some very nice suburbs, but they tend to *mostly* be newer developments, with a lack of character, and a lack of big, tall trees that give a neighborhood that "feel". There is nothing like strolling through a NJ neighborhood with big, stately, older yet meticulously well-maintained homes, where the streets are lined with huge, thick oak trees. Again, NC has some of these neighborhoods for sure, but NJ (and really the northeast in general) practically has the market cornered on it.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 PM

You guys are making out NJ like it's heaven All I have to say is northeastern nj STINKS. IT IS OVERPOPULATED, STRESSFUL AND NUMB. I know there's some quaint towns and nice country in the western and southern part of the state. But please don't tell me Clifton, Elizabeth, Union, Linden etc are beautiful, great places to live.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
You guys are making out NJ like it's heaven All I have to say is northeastern nj STINKS. IT IS OVERPOPULATED, STRESSFUL AND NUMB. I know there's some quaint towns and nice country in the western and southern part of the state. But please don't tell me Clifton, Elizabeth, Union, Linden etc are beautiful, great places to live.
1. We're not really making it sound like NJ is heaven
2. Some of us have stated that it's that Northeastern part of the state that sucks great big monkey insert word here that moderators would cut.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,929,101 times
Quote:
So you feel that vast portions of the state are appealing, EXCEPT much of the north eastern section of the state... It's not like your forced to live there.

Instead of ranting, answer the thread's simple question in a civil manner.
I havn't seen you post about anything else but your "NJ issues."

Anyway, do us a favor and get out of NJ. We have way too many whiners who need to take there whining elsewhere.-- (sorry for where ever they may windup)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or