U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-02-2010, 06:08 AM
 
31 posts, read 29,101 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
So you feel that vast portions of the state are appealing, EXCEPT much of the north eastern section of the state... It's not like your forced to live there.

Instead of ranting, answer the thread's simple question in a civil manner.
I havn't seen you post about anything else but your "NJ issues."

Anyway, do us a favor and get out of NJ. We have way too many whiners who need to take there whining elsewhere.-- (sorry for where ever they may windup)

Naw, don't feel sorry for them. Moving may be the best thing they ever did in their life. I bet your someone who grew up here. If it's so great why are the vast majority of people that live here, grew up here. I don't hear of many people (outside of nyc) running to live here. Unless the money is so great they're willing to put up with anything. I'm still talking about NE Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,363 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Reputation: 60287
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoolong View Post
You guys are making out NJ like it's heaven All I have to say is northeastern nj STINKS. IT IS OVERPOPULATED, STRESSFUL AND NUMB. I know there's some quaint towns and nice country in the western and southern part of the state. But please don't tell me Clifton, Elizabeth, Union, Linden etc are beautiful, great places to live.
Those areas are more urban, but they are only that one sliver on the most northeastern side. You don't have to go that far west to be out of there. drive five miles or so west of Clifton and you're already seeing a significant difference.

Heck, drive to West Paterson, right next to Clifton, if you want trees and woods and regular sightings of deer. It's suburban, not country, but it doesn't look anything like "Clifton, Elizabeth, Union or Linden".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 05:45 PM
 
31 posts, read 29,101 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Those areas are more urban, but they are only that one sliver on the most northeastern side. You don't have to go that far west to be out of there. drive five miles or so west of Clifton and you're already seeing a significant difference.

Heck, drive to West Paterson, right next to Clifton, if you want trees and woods and regular sightings of deer. It's suburban, not country, but it doesn't look anything like "Clifton, Elizabeth, Union or Linden".

I don't doubt what your saying. I just find that it's hard to escape that busy,on edge feeling anywhere in NJ. It's not a matter of pine trees, hills, and farms. I know you guys disagree, but it's a fact, 1200 people per square mile. Thta's ALOT of people in one area . If you don't believe me, google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,859,475 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Based on a lower quality of jobs.
Proof???

Quote:
NJ is only 8,729 square miles, which is the size of most metro areas. Also, they are sandwiched in between Philly and NYC. Therefore, I don't expect NJ to have a major city. However, NJ has Jersey City, which can compete with Charlotte by population, urban feel, culture and skyline. Also, many believe Jersey City exceeds Charlotte.
Being located just across from the river from one of the world's largest cities gives JC a small advantage vs. Charlotte, I'd say. Charlotte is what it is because of Charlotte and can't cite proximity to a global juggernaut as a reason.

Quote:
SMH, the only reason why NC is growing faster than NJ is because the size of the state is six times NJ.
So why isn't Alaska growing faster than NJ? Montana? Those states are several times the state of NJ as well. And it's not like NC just got bigger than NJ within the last few years, so simply citing size alone as a factor is way off. Despite your obliviousness, NC is making rapid progress and that's why it's growing faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 6,952,223 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Based on a lower quality of jobs.

NJ is only 8,729 square miles, which is the size of most metro areas. Also, they are sandwiched in between Philly and NYC. Therefore, I don't expect NJ to have a major city. However, NJ has Jersey City, which can compete with Charlotte by population, urban feel, culture and skyline. Also, many believe Jersey City exceeds Charlotte.

SMH, the only reason why NC is growing faster than NJ is because the size of the state is six times NJ. NJ is the same size land wise as Dallas, Houston and Atlanta metro areas and has around 2.2.-3.0 more people. There is nowhere for NJ to go except for up.
what about cost of living and jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 6,952,223 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Agreed, NJ offers quality jobs and career opportunities, which is a field NC fails to excel in.
have you been to nc? half the people there are from the ny/nj area.(exaggeration but you get what im sayin). And im pretty sure alot of them came down because of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 AM
 
324 posts, read 569,662 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Proof???



Being located just across from the river from one of the world's largest cities gives JC a small advantage vs. Charlotte, I'd say. Charlotte is what it is because of Charlotte and can't cite proximity to a global juggernaut as a reason.



So why isn't Alaska growing faster than NJ? Montana? Those states are several times the state of NJ as well. And it's not like NC just got bigger than NJ within the last few years, so simply citing size alone as a factor is way off. Despite your obliviousness, NC is making rapid progress and that's why it's growing faster.
Do you have any research or facts to prove me wrong?

I don't accept excuses for a city being better, larger, higher density or having better jobs than another city.

The state of NC and progression should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Charlotte is home to Nascar and just received the Nascar Hall of fame, which is regression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
what about cost of living and jobs?
Yeah, quality of jobs is an aspect the whole state of NC fails to excel in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
have you been to nc? half the people there are from the ny/nj area.(exaggeration but you get what im sayin). And im pretty sure alot of them came down because of work.
Why would someone from NJ want to live in NC?

Many people everyday would love to have a dinner at an upscale steakhouse with an expensive bottle of wine (NJ). However, the majority can't afford this expensive meal. Therefore, they settle for chicken nuggets, fries and a diet coke from Mcdonalds (NC).

Last edited by TheCity; 04-03-2010 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,363 posts, read 50,609,566 times
Reputation: 60287
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoolong View Post
I don't doubt what your saying. I just find that it's hard to escape that busy,on edge feeling anywhere in NJ. It's not a matter of pine trees, hills, and farms. I know you guys disagree, but it's a fact, 1200 people per square mile. Thta's ALOT of people in one area . If you don't believe me, google it.
Don't have to. I've lived in New Jersey for all of my 51 years.

No, of course it's not the same as living in a state with miles of open space. If you are looking for a place to live where your neighbors are a mile away, then New Jersey is not for you. However, to infer the extreme opposite--that everyone everywhere in NJ is living on top of one another is false. That 1200-people-per-square-mile thing is an average. Hoboken is a city that is one square mile, yet 40,000 people live there. That's balanced out by the smaller towns that are not as populated. The busy, on-edge feeling dissipates as you get further from New York, and it's also influenced by the type of life you choose to live.

NJ enables you to live both lives. During the week I make the long commute to New York, definitely a busy and on-edge life. On the weekends, I'm walking on the beach with the seagulls and a few other folks. I don't feel so busy and on edge then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: The City
21,958 posts, read 30,839,883 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't have to. I've lived in New Jersey for all of my 51 years.

No, of course it's not the same as living in a state with miles of open space. If you are looking for a place to live where your neighbors are a mile away, then New Jersey is not for you. However, to infer the extreme opposite--that everyone everywhere in NJ is living on top of one another is false. That 1200-people-per-square-mile thing is an average. Hoboken is a city that is one square mile, yet 40,000 people live there. That's balanced out by the smaller towns that are not as populated. The busy, on-edge feeling dissipates as you get further from New York, and it's also influenced by the type of life you choose to live.

NJ enables you to live both lives. During the week I make the long commute to New York, definitely a busy and on-edge life. On the weekends, I'm walking on the beach with the seagulls and a few other folks. I don't feel so busy and on edge then.

I love the Jersey beaches and am growing fonder of NC beaches too, the Outer Banks are a real treasure of the US

Having said that NJ gets a bad rap, truly a wonder for the small area, packs a great punch and some of the prettiest places in the country to boot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2010, 09:40 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,859,475 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
Do you have any research or facts to prove me wrong?
LOL, you made the claim so the burden of proof is on YOU. Otherwise, I could claim the opposite and then say what you just said. That's not logical.

Quote:
I don't accept excuses for a city being better, larger, higher density or having better jobs than another city.
LOL, excuses? No one is making excuses. Trust me, if there's any city that Charlotte envies, Jersey City would not be it. Charlotte only has Charlotte to thank because of its progress. We're not leeching off another city a couple of miles away. We made it happen ourselves down here.

Quote:
The state of NC and progression should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Charlotte is home to Nascar and just received the Nascar Hall of fame, which is regression.
Oh please. Whatever you think about NASCAR, it's a billion dollar industry. And in NJ, y'all just had some dude in some town to say over the loudspeaker in Wal-Mart, "All Black people, leave the store now." That doesn't scream "progress" to me at all. We could both bring up stupid examples all day that have nothing to really do with the subject at hand, but I have a feeling that's your MO.

Quote:
Why would someone from NJ want to live in NC?
Ask the tons of people from NJ who keep moving down here. Not very many people are making the opposite move, I can tell you that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top