U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,811 posts, read 34,861,948 times
Reputation: 14949

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Oh, I'm sure most southerners, if they could afford it, would rather live in NJ because of its proximity to NYC. I was just in NY last Thursday and there are so many tons of southerners crawling around Times Square, flocking to Sbarro's for what they think is "real NY pizza", buying "I [heart] NY" t-shirts at $2 apiece, buying up charicatures and spray painted space-scapes, fake rolexes, foam Statue-of-Liberty hats, etc.

Compare that scene to Charlotte - I have never seen throngs of NJans/NYers crowding out downtown Charlotte buying foam Jeff Gordon hats and I love Charlotte t-shirts (I've never even seen an I love Charlotte T-shirt...).
So you took the time to poll every denizen of Times Square to determine their regional origin?
This last series of posts has really gone down the rabbit hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,277,818 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. How does NJ blow NC out of the water? What means are you using to quantify your answer?
Real estate prices, as my post suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,652,709 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
So you took the time to poll every denizen of Times Square to determine their regional origin?
This last series of posts has really gone down the rabbit hole.
No, I just listen to the accents of the English speakers. You hear a lot of German, French, various eastern European languages, and the English you hear is more British and strong Southern accents than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,032,489 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I disagree. It's pretty obvious. NC only recently caught up to NJ in population but NC 5 times the size of NJ. NC is not as densely populated as NJ. NC has far more backwoods, rural areas than NJ; NJ doesn't even have any statistical areas designated as "rural", all of NJ is designated as "metropolitan", and witin those metropolitan areas is where you'll find pockets of our rural areas. The upside of that for NJ'ans is that for living in a densely populated area, we have convenient access to almost everything. Yes, these things are what are desirable to most people.

If you took away the factor of cost, you wouldn't see nearly as many people leaving NJ for NC. For the vast majority of them the issue is cost. That's it. Aside from the higher price tag, NJ is far more desirable for many more people than NC is. That's proven by the fact that despite costing much, much more NJ is far more densely populated and always has been, despite each state being one of the original 13.

So, NJ isn't more desirable for EVERYONE... There will always be people who prefer NC. It's just that MOST people would find living in NJ more desirable.

Put up two houses that are identical - let's say a 4-BR, 2.5 BA, 2-car garage, pool, patio/deck, on .5 acre - in a good neighborhood with decent schools - let's say Apex, NC and Hillsdale, NJ - and offer them as a free prize, where the prize winner gets to choose, and the prize winner is from the West coast or someplace not near NJ or NC, and which do you think that person will take? My guess is that 95 out of 100 people you offer this to will choose the NJ home. Why? Because it's much more attractive to be 20 minutes from NY City than to be 20 minutes from Raleigh. It's much more attractive to be one hour from the shore than to be 4 hours from the shore. It's more attractive to be in NJ where there are more quality opportunities than in NC. It's more attractive to live with a diverse, cosmopolitan population than to live amongst NASCAR hillbillies. Sure, you'll have 5 out of 100 who will prefer the NC house because of some odd reason, but they are exceptions.

Let's face it, NJ is far more desirable than NC to far more people.
What did I say do you disagree with? And why do you assume that NASCAR fans are hillbillies? This could be why some people consider NJ people to be rude and snobbish. Some of your generlaizations come out as rude and rather ill informed and to have a northeastern superiority complex. I don't think this is the real case with you, because I've read some of your posts defending NJ against someone else who was making absurd claims ab and generalizations. The demographics of NC are changing and it will only continue to be a larger state than NJ. That's really due to land size and I don't see NC ever being more dense than NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,123,930 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Oh, I'm sure most southerners, if they could afford it, would rather live in NJ because of its proximity to NYC. I was just in NY last Thursday and there are so many tons of southerners crawling around Times Square, flocking to Sbarro's for what they think is "real NY pizza", buying "I [heart] NY" t-shirts at $2 apiece, buying up charicatures and spray painted space-scapes, fake rolexes, foam Statue-of-Liberty hats, etc.

Compare that scene to Charlotte - I have never seen throngs of NJans/NYers crowding out downtown Charlotte buying foam Jeff Gordon hats and I love Charlotte t-shirts (I've never even seen an I love Charlotte T-shirt...).
I see you've revived your standup routine.

Is your tour schedule out yet?

Reminds me of all the confused and lost New Jersians on their way to spring break we've been encountering, circling Atlanta in a fruitless search for the nearest deep-fried hot dog stand as their hair-gel drips and glistens. It seems to really distract them while attempting to drive in our faster-moving traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Historic Downtown Jersey City
2,705 posts, read 7,277,818 times
Reputation: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I disagree. It's pretty obvious. NC only recently caught up to NJ in population but NC 5 times the size of NJ. NC is not as densely populated as NJ. NC has far more backwoods, rural areas than NJ; NJ doesn't even have any statistical areas designated as "rural", all of NJ is designated as "metropolitan", and witin those metropolitan areas is where you'll find pockets of our rural areas. The upside of that for NJ'ans is that for living in a densely populated area, we have convenient access to almost everything. Yes, these things are what are desirable to most people.

If you took away the factor of cost, you wouldn't see nearly as many people leaving NJ for NC. For the vast majority of them the issue is cost. That's it. Aside from the higher price tag, NJ is far more desirable for many more people than NC is. That's proven by the fact that despite costing much, much more NJ is far more densely populated and always has been, despite each state being one of the original 13.

So, NJ isn't more desirable for EVERYONE... There will always be people who prefer NC. It's just that MOST people would find living in NJ more desirable.

Put up two houses that are identical - let's say a 4-BR, 2.5 BA, 2-car garage, pool, patio/deck, on .5 acre - in a good neighborhood with decent schools - let's say Apex, NC and Hillsdale, NJ - and offer them as a free prize, where the prize winner gets to choose, and the prize winner is from the West coast or someplace not near NJ or NC, and which do you think that person will take? My guess is that 95 out of 100 people you offer this to will choose the NJ home. Why? Because it's much more attractive to be 20 minutes from NY City than to be 20 minutes from Raleigh. It's much more attractive to be one hour from the shore than to be 4 hours from the shore. It's more attractive to be in NJ where there are more quality opportunities than in NC. It's more attractive to live with a diverse, cosmopolitan population than to live amongst NASCAR hillbillies. Sure, you'll have 5 out of 100 who will prefer the NC house because of some odd reason, but they are exceptions.

Let's face it, NJ is far more desirable than NC to far more people.
This post says it all. Out of 100, though, it'd probably be more like 75 out of 100 would choose NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,652,709 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
What did I say do you disagree with?
You said "it's not obvious that NJ is more desirable than NC" - that's what you said that I disagree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
And why do you assume that NASCAR fans are hillbillies?
Most of them seem to be, to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
This could be why some people consider NJ people to be rude and snobbish.
Could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Some of your generlaizations come out as rude and rather ill informed and to have a northeastern superiority complex. I don't think this is the real case with you, because I've read some of your posts defending NJ against someone else who was making absurd claims ab and generalizations. The demographics of NC are changing and it will only continue to be a larger state than NJ. That's really due to land size and I don't see NC ever being more dense than NJ.
Well let's not confuse two things here....the demographics of NC are not quite the same as the demographics of NASCAR fans. Most NASCAR fans, based on my direct experience with them, are essentially hicks and hillbillies. So, a city like Charlotte with a strong NASCAR culture has a strong hick/hillbilly/redneck culture and that does hold it back from being considered a cultured, progressive, cosmopolitan city. But the demographics of NC in general are changing, and in Raleigh things are far more progressive. Of course, it's at the expense of losing a lot of the southern culture and replacing it with the transplanted Yankees.

Look at a place like Atlanta where they love to boast hos multi-cultural it is and how you hardly hear any southern accents anymore (and you don't), but they're supposed to be the capital of the south... It's just odd that so many southern places only seem to boom and grow at the expense of their own culture, and only when New Jerseyans and New Yorkers finally will move en masse to these places.

Notice how a lot of the boasting from places like NC is about how many New Jerseyans they can attract? Isn't that just a latent admission that NJ is superior to the point that adding NJ'ans (even the NJ'ans who can't succeed here in NJ) to their southern society is what improves them and makes them grow???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,329 posts, read 17,045,544 times
Reputation: 6070
I don't see why one has to be superior to the other, they're very different with a lot of similarities at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,652,709 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I see you've revived your standup routine.

Is your tour schedule out yet?

Reminds me of all the confused and lost New Jersians on their way to spring break we've been encountering, circling Atlanta in a fruitless search for the nearest deep-fried hot dog stand as their hair-gel drips and glistens. It seems to really distract them while attempting to drive in our faster-moving traffic.
They won't find deep-friend hot dogs or any really good food in Atlanta other than a couple places.

And I know first-hand that Atlanta's traffic is the slowest and worst in the nation. If you're going to choose something that Atlanta has better than NJ, food and traffic are not areas where Atlanta can win that battle. But this thread isn't about Atlanta, although you and the Atlanta defense league seem to try to derail every thread into being about Atlanta.

Go back to a thread that pertains to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2010, 12:11 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,652,709 times
Reputation: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't see why one has to be superior to the other, they're very different with a lot of similarities at the same time.
In the context of this thread, I mean more superior in desirability. NJ is more desirable by more people than NC. That's just a proven fact, based on the costs people pay in each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top