Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 PM

31 posts, read 36,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Haha. How is that an "indisputable fact"? It's an opinion, I'll give you that. FYI - the stuff that I listed, are true "indisputable facts". Such as, NJ's real estate is more desirable than NC's. That is a fact, based on costs. That is the DEFINITION OF DESIRABLE real estate ... real estate that costs more than another place's real estate.

What other method do you have for judging a state's mass desirability? I keep asking that question, to multiple people, and not one person has given an answer!

"DESIRABLE" real estate is in the eyes of the beholder. Look at what you get for a given amount here compared to NC. The reason it's so expensive in NJ is competition and being located near nyc. Look, people want to be near nyc because of their high paying jobs. It's only desirability to me is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM

31 posts, read 36,896 times
[quote=Mightyqueen801;13610261]
Quote:
Haha. How is that an "indisputable fact"? It's an opinion, I'll give you that. FYI - the stuff that I listed, are true "indisputable facts". Such as, NJ's real estate is more desirable than NC's. That is a fact, based on costs. That is the DEFINITION OF DESIRABLE real estate ... real estate that costs more than another place's real estate.

What other method do you have for judging a state's mass desirability? I keep asking that question, to multiple people, and not one person has given an answer![/quote]

Well...can you get a good Taylor ham with cheese on a roll in North Carolina?

OH MY GOD!!!! OH MY GOD!!!! No taylor ham with cheese. If I don't have it I will die!!!!!! I will never leave NJ. Too bad. Your bowels would probably thank you

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoolong View Post
"DESIRABLE" real estate is in the eyes of the beholder. Look at what you get for a given amount here compared to NC. The reason it's so expensive in NJ is competition and being located near nyc. Look, people want to be near nyc because of their high paying jobs. It's only desirability to me is that.
OK, you're just not getting it.

I'll go slower.

I understand that person A might prefer North Carolina, and person B might prefer NJ. Got it.

So North Carolina is more desirable for person A, and NJ is more desirable for Person B. Got it.

But when measuring overall desirability, the amount of $$ that people are willing to spend is the ONLY, and this is the key word, OBJECTIVE means by which we can measure an area's MASS (another key word) desirability.

Is it more clear now?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...can you get a good Taylor ham with cheese on a roll in North Carolina?
Don't you mean porkroll?!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:57 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
OK, you're just not getting it.

I'll go slower.

I understand that person A might prefer North Carolina, and person B might prefer NJ. Got it.

So North Carolina is more desirable for person A, and NJ is more desirable for Person B. Got it.

But when measuring overall desirability, the amount of $$ that people are willing to spend is the ONLY, and this is the key word, OBJECTIVE means by which we can measure an area's MASS (another key word) desirability.

Is it more clear now?
So available land has nothing to do with price of real estate?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
So available land has nothing to do with price of real estate?
It definitely does. But like Bergen County Johnny said earlier, if you offer a 4-bedroom house on a half acre in NJ, 20 miles from NYC, and an identical house on a half-acre 20 miles outside Raleigh, NC ... the vast majority would choose the NJ house.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:57 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
It definitely does. But like Bergen County Johnny said earlier, if you offer a 4-bedroom house on a half acre in NJ, 20 miles from NYC, and an identical house on a half-acre 20 miles outside Raleigh, NC ... the vast majority would choose the NJ house.
How can you assume so? I don't deny the unbelieveable draw for many people to come to NYC. But its not like half the nation lives in NYc. It's CSA is at 23million (I'll give it extra people for argument sake) and the population of the nation is at 300 million. That is close to 10% of the nation lives there and 90% live elsewhere. Any comments about the vast majority is based on assumptions and is hard to quantify. That is not a knock against NYC and I am not discussing the economic impact of NYC because that is a different story. IMO, NYC is just not that appealing and I prefer down south. I know this is a rare opinion but I tend to be persuaded by my own thought and not other people.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:13 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Who said "wealthy people can't afford to live in New Jersey"??? I didn't see anyone say that. Please show me where anyone said such a thing.

What I have said, though, is that people who are wealthy enough to move to NJ from the south will find that they will not be quite so wealthy up here due to the higher cost of living. And that's a fact. Someone who has a nice 3/4 BR 1.5/2 BA house in a middle class town in NC will be lucky to find a one or two BR 1 BA condo in NJ for the same price, not to mention in a town that is economically lower on the scale than what they had in NC.
That's if your assuming that southerner is moving to the immidiate NYC metro area (NENJ)
Cumberland, Warren, Atlantic, and maybe even Sussex counties offer a similar price range, but that's if you don't mind living in these somewhat isolated counties.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
How can you assume so? I don't deny the unbelieveable draw for many people to come to NYC. But its not like half the nation lives in NYc. It's CSA is at 23million (I'll give it extra people for argument sake) and the population of the nation is at 300 million. That is close to 10% of the nation lives there and 90% live elsewhere. Any comments about the vast majority is based on assumptions and is hard to quantify. That is not a knock against NYC and I am not discussing the economic impact of NYC because that is a different story. IMO, NYC is just not that appealing and I prefer down south. I know this is a rare opinion but I tend to be persuaded by my own thought and not other people.
Of course it's impossible to quantify. But let's think about it ... if you offer an identical house & property in both areas, all expenses paid (taxes) etc ... what % of people do you think would choose the NC house?

Let's assume we're offering to 100 people ... 2 people from every state in the US.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchtoolong View Post
I think this thread feels like a political debate between parties. Especially since you NJ defenders are closed minded to the truth.

The money in the tri state area esp NY & NJ comes from WALL STREET!!!!! It feeds everything. The areas economic health = wall streets health. If you disagree talk to your friends.

You and that character from bergen county (who thinks his opinions are gospel) seem to judge a states desirability solely on the amount of wealthy people who inhabit it. Not everyone who has alot of money is to be admired and respected. You don't know behind that mask who they really are.

Money is extremely important we all know. But you guys show your lack of depth by constantly mentioning it as it's the be all & end all of judging a state. 90% of your life is focused in the material world. A pretty common trait of many people in the tri-state area.

Your telling me NJ doesn't have any accents made me hit the floor holding my stomach laughing. I have never heard more foreign accents from every country in the world.

I am a moderate person, but the reason for 8 million people (mostly foreigners) coming here is because it's a ULTRA liberal state. People here get away with things that other states wouldn't put up with for a minute.

Also lets put it to rest. NJ has some nice parts, but as a whole it's alright, not beautiful. There are states out west, down south, and in new england that simply blow it away. This is a indisputable fact. enough already
Well I'll give you that. A lot of njians are stuck to money like white on rice. But I personally am not often associated with those arrogant people.
Just curious... Have you ever met anyone in nj who's just blue collar? You have plenty of blue collar towns in this state, and that's where you'll find the most down to earth people in the state.
Dome did a comparison including hillsdale, nj which is just snobville like many other towns in that area.
Give me wood-ridge, rutherford, or Union anyday over ridgewood or hillsdale.

Nj's natural beauty is great. It's not the best (I'll give you that) but it's nothing to complain about. (just rake a look at some of my albums)

The nj accent thrives. I don't know who's denying that.

Last edited by BPerone201; 04-06-2010 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City