U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 08:44 PM

594 posts, read 304,627 times

Advertisements

new jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 PM

594 posts, read 304,627 times
NEW JERSEY is next to NEW YORK CITY....

N. Carolina is in the middle of nowhere, boring state

Old 12-07-2009, 08:53 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,024,814 times
North Carolina is so much better its hard to believe anyone would compare them. New Jersey is the dirtiest nastiest, most overcrowded paved over place I have ever seen. I have a hard time believing people can stand to live there. North Carolina is beautiful, nice cities, ocean, nice people so I kinda think this ones a no brainer eh. I feel sorry for people trapped in the land of the Sapranoes lol.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:17 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,546,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
NEW JERSEY is next to NEW YORK CITY....
Very interesting how NJ is always defended based on what it's next to instead of what it is.

Quote:
N. Carolina is in the middle of nowhere, boring state
I suppose that's why NC passed NJ a few years ago in population. People apparently love our "middle of nowhere, boring state."

Old 12-07-2009, 09:37 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,773,407 times
It's a shame to always see my state be butchered all the time.
All the stereotypes about NJ are so shocking to me because all that applies doesn't come up too often in NJ... AND I LIVE HERE.

For one thing, NJ is safer than NC.. The ignorance of people stating the opposite on this thread is beyond me.

New Jersey also has stunning natural scenery, you just have to look beyond the stereotypes.

And to the comments toward the mean rude people of NJ... what do you call the people who bash NJ people?.. Kind-hearted? << Oxy-moron

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM

2,583 posts, read 3,260,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
NC hands down. less crime than NJ, etc.
People MUST stop perpetuating this myth.
NC has a higher statewide crime rate than NJ.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,004,923 times
For anybody who doesn't know... NJ has a much lower crime rate than NC.

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that we are one of the most educated states in the US.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
North Carolina is so much better its hard to believe anyone would compare them. New Jersey is the dirtiest nastiest, most overcrowded paved over place I have ever seen. I have a hard time believing people can stand to live there. North Carolina is beautiful, nice cities, ocean, nice people so I kinda think this ones a no brainer eh. I feel sorry for people trapped in the land of the Sapranoes lol.
LOL - where have you been in NJ? The area around Newark only?

NJ has a LOT of natural beauty...the state is over 8,500 square miles, and we have tons of beaches, forests, farms, and mountains, as well as beautiful suburban towns and rural villages.

But....if you want to believe that the opening credits of Sopranos represents the ENTIRE state...then you've just painted yourself as a very ignorant person...well done.

That is like me saying that the people of NC are all backwoods, Nascar-watching hicks...because I saw it on TV once. C'mon.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
NC without a doubt!!! Housing prices are much cheaper. The winters are much nicer...the cost of living MUCH cheaper...the people are friendly and warm for the most part...there is everything in NC, mountains, piedmont, beaches, and if you live in Charlotte, Winston Salem, Greensboro --- or areas near there, you can be at the beach or the mountains in a few hours easy!

I live in Charlotte...the school system is par for this size city. We have our controversies, but all in all I am satisfied my children are getting a good education.

The healthcare here is outstanding with a brand new childrens hospital. Lots of smaller area hospitals depending on the part of town you live in.

Traffic sucks, but hey, you can't have everything. It's better than other places I've lived like Atlanta or Minneapolis/St.Paul, so basically it's city traffic. Sometimes it flows like a well oiled machine, other days it's crazy and backed up.

I'm a born and raised Atlanta brat but I wouldn't leave Charlotte, NC for anything now. This is home!!
Ha - you've essentially described NJ with the bolded statements, EXCEPT, in NJ, all of those things you mention are never more than an hour away for most residents of NJ.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 AM

8,052 posts, read 9,813,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It's a shame to always see my state be butchered all the time.
All the stereotypes about NJ are so shocking to me because all that applies doesn't come up too often in NJ... AND I LIVE HERE.

For one thing, NJ is safer than NC.. The ignorance of people stating the opposite on this thread is beyond me.

New Jersey also has stunning natural scenery, you just have to look beyond the stereotypes.

And to the comments toward the mean rude people of NJ... what do you call the people who bash NJ people?.. Kind-hearted? << Oxy-moron
I completely agree that Americans tend to jump to too many conclusions about any one place. Both states are terrific and I know lots of people in each.
That said, people from New Jersey seem to be moving to North Carolina in droves. This is probably why the states flipped places in population ranking this decade. The Raleigh newspaper had a story on that very issue a few years back. It was about how people from New Jersey were moving to NC and then influencing their friends and family to do the same.
The biggest factors causing the moves tend to be costs of living and Winter weather. I don't meet too many people who complain about other things in New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City