Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why not host a few biker rallies while they're at it??

Did you ever notice that the more desirable, progressive cities tend to not host NASCAR or biker rallies? There's a reason behind that. Sometimes a lot of money just isn't worth it.
But many of the "more desirable, progressive" cities in general do embrace racing as a legitimate sport. Like any sport, NASCAR is actually evolving as the South evolves. It's simply a part of the heritage of this region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM

324 posts, read 669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
So I guess those are all ghosts packed into the stands "down the shore?"

Nice try. Racing fans exist there, or these businesses wouldn't exist, period.
Several years ago, the local news announced Nascar was thinking about possibly building a race track on Staten Island.

Guess the publics reaction? Thousands of people stood in the streets and brought signs protesting because they did not want the track to be built. Therefore, NJ doesn't sound like an area full of Nascar fans to me.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's because our cost of living isn't high, which is a major reason why we're now larger than NJ and growing faster! LOL The fact is that people are voting with their feet, and the reasons are numerous as to why more are moving here as opposed to NJ. But cost of living has a lot to do with it.
Oh is that what it is? I thought it was because nj grew to nearly it's maximum compasity (there's still room for growth, but who wants that?)
Nc is probably 5 times larger than nj and just recently passed nj's population count. All thy says to me is nj already had it's time of growth and prosperity.

Idk if you knew this but back in the day, nc was a very poor, uneducated, and undesirable place while nj was among the most desirable places for people who seeked work, a safe enviornment, and a superior school system.

Nj had it's time when nc was pretty much nothing, but yet now that it's experiencing major growth, it all the sudden has people spewing ridiculous bs as to of why it's seeing so much growth!

Nj still tops charts in all things known as opportunities.

When nc manages to have higher high school graduation rates, a lower state crime rate, lower poverty rates, and a higher average salary than NJ, than ask yourself if NC is still a cheap place to live.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But many of the "more desirable, progressive" cities in general do embrace racing as a legitimate sport. Like any sport, NASCAR is actually evolving as the South evolves. It's simply a part of the heritage of this region.
Racing is acknowledged (I wouldn't say "embraced") as a "legitimate sport", sure; but, in the more progressive, desirable, cosmopolitan areas that would mean Indy, Formula1, etc. and NASCAR is still the redneck racing league out of all the choices. For a while we had a Meadowlands Grand Prix, and it brought out a lot of fans (still not enough to keep going), but if it were the Meadowlands NASCAR it woold have stoked even less local interest (although I'm sure people would come from the Deep South to see the race and go whoop it up in Manhattan afterwards, maybe buy some Times Square schlock like a painting of outer space made with spray paint, or a fake Rolex watch).

The "NASCAR culture" that TheCity mentioned is not just about racing, in general; it's specifically about NASCAR and the kind of crowd it attracts. It attracts mostly blue collar southern and midwestern men who are fanatical about the sport and who can scarcely watch it without drinking lots and lots of beer. It's not like other sports, like baseball or football, which you will find a following for throughout the entire nation and with fans from all walks of life. NASCAR has a very definite demographic following them. NJ has almost none of the NASCAR demographic.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

35 posts, read 75,690 times
Born in and lived in NJ all my life.

I LOVE NASCAR (go clint #33) I don't even miss a Truck Series race. While we're at it, what's wrong with NASCAR. Some of the most friendly, helpful, and pleasant people I've met at sporting events were at NASCAR races and in the towns of that particular race. (A little different from when I go see my local professional baseball team in the Bronx). There are definitely some NASCAR fans in NJ (and even a diecast and collectible shop in the next town over from me with a large group of regulars).

Southern Jersey is different from North and Central NJ. I was born and raised in the north and central areas but now live in Southern NJ near all the farms, parks, lakes, trees. Not too far from all of the cranberry bogs and the pinelands (and perhaps the Jersey Devil). The farther north, the more fast paced and crowded. Just depends on what you prefer.

As for the OP's question the same applies. What are you looking for? Slow paced, nature, city life, entertainment...etc. ?

North Carolina looks incredible although I've never been there. I do watch Madhouse (Bowman Gray) on the History Channel though, does that count? That way of life is appealing to me, as is the open land and less congestion. There are some really nice landscapes as someone previously mentioned.

North Jersey can't be beat for all of the things to do and proximity to Manhattan. There will always be something going on and you can walk to most places. If excitement is important, move here. Skylines are still a sight for me and I've been around it for 30 years.

South Jersey is very scenic. More laid back, less crowded. Just stay away from Cherry Hill area or you might as well move more north to Central jersey (it's just as congested). Cape May and the beach areas would be my pick, maybe even somewhere near historic Smithville.

Would need to know what you're looking for to really pick one over the other. Good Luck

Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Racing is acknowledged (I wouldn't say "embraced") as a "legitimate sport", sure; but, in the more progressive, desirable, cosmopolitan areas that would mean Indy, Formula1, etc. and NASCAR is still the redneck racing league out of all the choices. For a while we had a Meadowlands Grand Prix, and it brought out a lot of fans (still not enough to keep going), but if it were the Meadowlands NASCAR it woold have stoked even less local interest (although I'm sure people would come from the Deep South to see the race and go whoop it up in Manhattan afterwards, maybe buy some Times Square schlock like a painting of outer space made with spray paint, or a fake Rolex watch).
So what you're saying is that Manhattan is no longer progressive, desirable or cosmopolitan?
Nascar Fans in Manhattan. Who Knew? - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com

Old 04-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Other than the last link, there is no NASCAR culture represented here. Nobody denied there are race fans in NJ. We have tracks at Atco, Englishtown, and the one down the shore which you gave a link for, which closed down due to a lack of business and was revived on the basis of nostalgia and kitsch more so than actual race enthusiasts. It is not a NASCAR track.

Another link you gave is about a NJ driver who won a few races including one or two that happened in NJ decades ago and don't happen here anymore. Even if NJ did host a NASCAR race or two today, we don't have a NASCAR culture that permeates our most popular areas and cities. The few NASCAR fans there are here are the exception, and they mostly are in the few rural pockets of the state.

And the last link you gave is for a toy/collectibles company that is in NJ that happens to sell toys/collectibles that are NASCAR related. We already know that NJ has great business opportunities and smart people who will capitalize and profit off the people in any demographic. Notice that the webpage is geared up for a heavy mail-order/internet business, because most of his business isn't going to be people in NJ going to the shop in person, but people all over the south ordering the NASCAR junk while that NJ business person gets rich off of them.

Quote:
Funny how any of these businesses survive if this racing culture is so abhorrent to the residents of NJ, which you seem to be speaking for.
Nobody said anything about "racing culture"; TheCity said specifically "NASCAR culture". NJ has no NASCAR culture. We may have a few race fans, and even then many of them are Indy or Formula1 fans or other race fans which is different from NASCAR and the NASCAR culture.

Quote:
Next we'll be told that all of the race fans of NJ are Southern transplants.
No, southerners usually can't afford to move to NJ. Most of them are Midwestern transplants.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
No, southerners usually can't afford to move to NJ. Most of them are Midwestern transplants.
Sorry Johnny-boy, you got it backwards. You could not PAY most Southerners to move to New Jersey. HUGE difference.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So what you're saying is that Manhattan is no longer progressive, desirable or cosmopolitan?
Nascar Fans in Manhattan. Who Knew? - City Room Blog - NYTimes.com
Where did I say any such thing? And thanks for the link about the oddity of the rare NASCAR fans in NY. They are definitely there, but they are very RARE and you will never see NYC taken over by NASCAR fans the way they take over Charlotte or Atlanta..

Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry Johnny-boy, you got it backwards. You could not PAY most Southerners to move to New Jersey. HUGE difference.
Oh, I'm sure most southerners, if they could afford it, would rather live in NJ because of its proximity to NYC. I was just in NY last Thursday and there are so many tons of southerners crawling around Times Square, flocking to Sbarro's for what they think is "real NY pizza", buying "I [heart] NY" t-shirts at $2 apiece, buying up charicatures and spray painted space-scapes, fake rolexes, foam Statue-of-Liberty hats, etc.

Compare that scene to Charlotte - I have never seen throngs of NJans/NYers crowding out downtown Charlotte buying foam Jeff Gordon hats and I love Charlotte t-shirts (I've never even seen an I love Charlotte T-shirt...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City