Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,283 times

Advertisements

I choose New Jersey!!! North Carolina is like an old folks home, or a graveyard maybe. NJ is alive with all sorts of ethnicities, alive with opportunities, alive with culture, and educated intelligent people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani0400 View Post
I choose New Jersey!!! North Carolina is like an old folks home, or a graveyard maybe. NJ is alive with all sorts of ethnicities, alive with opportunities, alive with culture, and educated intelligent people.
You have the best invention at your finger tips and post some crap like this?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,040 times
A different kind of animal, If you have a few more years to work before you can retire start a deferred rental saving, by this I mean, do not buy a car three years before retirement. Pay off your small credit cards use just one major credit card to maintain your credit status, do not buy any new clothes during those three years, every month put aside the money that you usually would spend on car payments, new clothes, or vacations, and put this in the deferred savings account. In-vision what you want to pay monthly for your mortgage/rental fee. The estimated daily living cost, you can determine what to put aside the full amount or half. You know where you are, but you don't know if you want to stay in a new place, as long as the place you're leaving. Keep a open mind, keep a ledger. Go to NC, one week in the summer, one week in the winter before you make your decision, decide if you can adjust to a different kind of pace,that will affect every aspect of your life. If you're not from the south, or left there before you became grown, and you're well off and have family or friends there that's not as well off as you are, you will have problems, they are the different kind of animal. You are leaving one life and beginning a new one, you will love retirement. My cost of living is nothing compared to what it was before I retired. I loved my job, my co-workers, I love New Jersey, but retirement is what life is about, you will see life from a total respective I didn't know that life could be so wonderful. I live in NJ and NC, no tax problem,travel when you want through NC, you'll never see all of it.
Tell no one your plans because they will remind you so much about "man when you retire I know you can't wait, to go to NC"they'll spoil your dreams, and they will make you sick and tired before you retire. Surprise yourself, anticipation is an exciting journey. NC cured me of taking twelve pills a day for every thing the doctors told me I had, I wonder sometime about where did I leave the diagnosis. When I wake in the morning's in NC (Wake Forest,NC) I breath the best air the south can offer, when I wake in NJ I breath the best air I can behind a truck or car rushing me, NC nice and slow they understand the two lane high way. Wish you the best,bye bye.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM

364 posts, read 618,854 times
I wouldn't live in NC if given a house!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You have the best invention at your finger tips and post some crap like this?
lolz

Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM

159 posts, read 258,905 times
if it is to be around more educated folks, i would pick NJ, as i grew up in north jersey, and have lived in MO and my daughter is in NC, and unless you are in a big city, you will not find the folks are as educated as North Jersey.
The COL is high there, as is the pay scale is higher than most places. I do not regret living there, and liked it for the culture.
Asheville is like a music and old hippy community, that is attracting younger hippies (or whatever you call them), and ads for apts discuss 421 friendly. Asheville has a redneck flavor, and they probably eat squirrel, like they do in the Midwest.. No straight roads, and the few highways going there are getting busy, and it is not a place where they can just put a new highway, due to the mountains.
Charlotte has more rolling hills, and if you are in the banking business, i hear it is the place to be. I liked it.
I have not been through Greenville Spartenburg SC, but it has attracted SW airlines, and I heard there are jobs there.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If money were no issue, I'd actually pick New Jersey because I like the scenery in the Northwestern part of the state and wouldn't be able to live in NC, where snow is rare (Asheville, NC doesn't even get THAT much snow, so don't try arguing that one to me either! LOL!). My ideal home would be somewhere in the Lake Hopatcong/Sparta area, only I'd have to find somewhere in that periphery that had walkable neighborhoods, tree-lined streets, older homes, and a TRUE downtown (Not Wal-Mart and Lowe's, which many NJ people seem to THINK is a "downtown!") I actually did some research, and I thought Hackettstown might have been a nice fit for those characteristics. This area is only about an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes from NYC, and is about the same from my beloved hometown of Scranton, PA. I've often tossed around the idea of moving to a town like Hopatcong, but when I saw the mid-six-figure housing prices for DUMPS there and realized I could buy a fully-upgraded suburban McMansion for the SAME PRICE here in the Scranton Area, I realized that I made a wise decision to stay put in PA. I truly don't understand how everyone near me is flocking to NJ to "chase the big bucks." Sure, you may start out as CPA in Scranton earning $35,000 and start out as a CPA in North Jersey earning $55,000, but does that extra $20,000 really cover the extra property tax burden, higher housing prices, higher insurance costs, etc.? It amazes me to see this "revolving door" of Scranton natives flooding into NJ and NJ natives flooding into Scranton. I suppose, in this case, the Delaware River is the dilineating factor between two areas where the "grass is always greener" to different people! NJ people hate their state, and PA people hate their state. As such, we have thousands of people continually "leap-frogging" back-and-forth over the Delaware River. Can't you people make up your &#&^#^# minds?! LOL!
Hmm, who are these people?

I'd pick my home state, NJ. Some of the best schools in the country, the state has a high number of educated people, great industry (medical and pharmaceutical for example), great beaches, proximity to NYC, Philly, DC, and Boston, as well as other smaller cities, diversity in people and food (I have never had such good food in general as in the tri-state area), a nice mix of beautiful small towns with character, tougher cities but ones that are still nice to be in (in parts - like Liberty State Park in Jersey City), a great beach culture and summer shore scene, rich in history, I could go on.

NC is a great option, too, though. A lot of people from around here move to NC for a cheaper lifestyle so they must be doing something right down there. NC also has nice beaches and great history.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani0400 View Post
If this was really the case then why is 60 percent of NJ living in NC rite now

Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Because the cost of living is cheaper. That's it. Because you can buy a home twice the size as in NJ but for half the price. I know plenty of people who have done this move, and while they like it down in NC, they all miss NJ like they never thought they would and wish they could move back, but they cannot afford to live here. You get what you pay for and contrary to popular belief, you get a lot in NJ.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
83% of all statistics are made up. But to answer your question, the reason a small minority of New Jerseyans have moved to NC is because NC is dirt cheap (relatively speaking). When you can't afford the crystal at Tiffany, you settle for the plastic solo cups from Target.

I'm not a native Jerseyan, and I did live in NC years ago, FWIW. Not a bad state, but moving to NJ was the right move for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City