U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Vegas or Houston?
Las Vegas 31 46.27%
Houston 36 53.73%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:27 PM

11,254 posts, read 18,772,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
To me, Houston and Vegas are on opposite ends of the spectrum. Houston is my least liked city and Vegas is one of my most favorite cities.

You say you don't mind weather but wait till you spend some time in Houston in the wet/humid/hot weather and go crazy from it, not to mention that you share it with all the bugs and creepy-crawlies that love that kind of weather.

Vegas is better for shopping, nightlife, food, etc. Jobs and housing are probably better in Houston, and that's it. The traffic is worse in Houston (as bad as Vegas can be). I have found Houston to be a dull city that lacks character. It's in Texas but doesn't feel "Texan" to me, like San Antonio or Fort Worth do. It's pretentious. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies - lots of wealth and affluence but back-country level of actual sophistication.

Vegas is a mix of people and is surrounded in natural beauty and has awesome weather, perhaps with the exception of the extreme heat in the summer. Even then it IS dry heat and yes, that really DOES make a difference. Huge difference. I'll take 115 F and dry over 90 and humid ANYTIME.

From Vegas you can get to L.A. in 4 hours, and San Diego and Phoenix in 5 hours. You are also near the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, and even Utah's Skiing is only 6 hours away (some of the best skiing in the world). Houston is near New Orleans, about 3 hours I believe, and a few hours from San Antonio and Austin which are both excellent cities, but there isn't a ton of variety. Houston is far more crowded. The one advantage Houston has is that it's only a little over an hour to the Gulf of Mexico for nice beaches and nice, warm water. Even then, it's still over an hour and with traffic even more.

Go for Vegas, it's a no-brainer if you ask me.
Although the OP probably died of old age by now, you took the words right out of my mouth...except I was just going to say one word is enough...humidity...and TEXAS, ugh...oh, that's three words. My wife is from Houston and she would agree with everything you said here. There is just no comparison.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM

1,999 posts, read 6,188,659 times
One thing nobody has mentioned is that Texas is part of the Bible Belt.
The economy in Houston is booming--but Houston is a young person's city. Look at the demographics, and the city has a low average age. Much like LV there aren't huge amounts of really elderly (75 y.o. and up).
There is a great amount of clubs and night spots for younger people, say, under 32 or so. After that, there is a real lack of night spots for the 35 and up crowd. And just 3 places for the senior crowd to go to in general in the city--unless they belong to a country club which, in Houston, is for the very wealthy.
There is a great deal of snobbism in Houston and much worse in Dallas. In Chicago the wealthy don't actually act snooty in general. This is not the case in Texas where the wealthy actually look down on everyone else. Go figure?
Lots of sports there. Lots of famous sports figures live there due to the low cost of living in general, and you have the ability to be outside almost all year round in Houston due to the warmer weather.
Winter is from January to maybe mid-February. Short.
Summer can be really humid--incredibly humid and uncomfortable. You get used to it, but it takes about 3 years if you are from the North.
One thing I loved about Houston is the weather is so great for plants that I could grow anything there. If that's your thing, you'll be in hog heaven.
Houston has lots of diversity in food and peoples. Dallas does not.
Basically Texans are friendly and will help you--even tho there exists many Texans who are still fighting the Civil War and hate Yankees deep down. You learn to just rise above it and pretend you don't notice. But Texans will extend a hand to you when you're in need which has to be their greatest strength.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 AM

11,750 posts, read 17,413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Vegas is better for shopping, nightlife, food, etc. Jobs and housing are probably better in Houston, and that's it.
I'm sure jobs are...but wonder about housing?

I use to think Houston would be better for housing...but from what I can tell, most of it is quite dilipitated, whereas most of Vegas is quite new. PLUS, Vegas seems to have had housing prices go down quite significantly making it much more compareable - but better quality housing. My take anyways.

Additionally, from visiting the Houston forum from time to time, it sounds like the 'Inner Loop' the prices are actually quite high...so to have reasonable priced housing, it is all from very long commutes way outside the city.

That is what it sounds like anyways...of course I could be wrong about that.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 AM

255 posts, read 350,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm sure jobs are...but wonder about housing?

I use to think Houston would be better for housing...but from what I can tell, most of it is quite dilipitated, whereas most of Vegas is quite new. PLUS, Vegas seems to have had housing prices go down quite significantly making it much more compareable - but better quality housing. My take anyways.

Additionally, from visiting the Houston forum from time to time, it sounds like the 'Inner Loop' the prices are actually quite high...so to have reasonable priced housing, it is all from very long commutes way outside the city.

That is what it sounds like anyways...of course I could be wrong about that.
Houston is a very sprawling city with employment growth downtown, inner ring suburbs, outer ring suburbs and exurbs. Lots of different areas where people work and commutes not as bad b/c of that. Inner loop prices are high (610 loop) but very little is moving. As you go north to Woodlands, west to Katy, SW to SugarLand and SE to Clear Lake, etc, prices are very reasonable and the communities quite nice. To get from one corner of Houston to the other could easily take 2 hours.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

13,095 posts, read 13,603,393 times
Houston is better to live in but Vegas is nice to play in. I choose Houston for personal reasons as they have a more seasoned and established AA community than Vegas. I like dry heat over humidity but not when it's 110 and dry. It's basically a wash no matter how bad Houston is in the summer.

I have to disagree with BerganCountyJersey on one aspect of Houston. Food is something that is plentiful in Houston. You can find anything there and it's authentic and tasty. Houston's nightlife doesn't touch Vegas but what city does. But Houston is doing it's best to change this but it will take a while. There are some pretty good spots in the city though.

Another thing.
Quote:
It's pretentious. It's like the Beverly Hillbillies - lots of wealth and affluence but back-country level of actual sophistication.
Pretentious? This is something I NEVER heard Houstonians to be. Dallasites yeah. Not Houston. They are known for being down to Earth. Also, what does back-country level of actual sophistication mean. Could you provide an example.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 PM

1,083 posts, read 786,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Be a little careful about how you do your sums..

In Houston if you buy two 200K houses You would end up with $200K in mortgages - 1200 per month plus 12,000 to 16,000 in taxes so - $1,000 in taxes per month plus perhaps another 2500 in insuance. $2400 to 2500 per month.

In Las Vegas the same two 200K humes still cost 1200 per month in mortgage payments but the taxes are 3600 or 300 per month plus about $ 1200 for insuracne or $100 a month. So your Vegas costs would be 1600 per month.

You could put another 100,000 on the main Vegas house and come out about the same as Houston.

TANSTAAFL....

Urban Texas is famous for outrageous property tax. Houston gets pretty spectacular insurance as well.

WOW!!! Somebody's never owned a house in Houston.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:02 PM

1,083 posts, read 786,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
palmetto bugs(giant roaches) dropping on me from tree's in the summertime.
This does NOT happen. I've been here close to 20 years and have only seen very few roaches. The idea of them "dropping out of trees" is absurd.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,232,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
WOW!!! Somebody's never owned a house in Houston.

Well that is true.

But I have read tax tables virtually everywhere. You claiming taxes in TX are below the 1% of NV?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:43 PM

160 posts, read 413,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Traffic? Houston is world renouned for horrific jambs. LV has an edge there but small. Its the roadways infrastructure in LV why it cant handle the cars, not so much the number of cars. Houston has an underground tunnel system with an entire life down there. Stores and all kinds of businesses. So people can walk underground for lunch or shopping without ever having to walk the streets with the heat, cold, rain or whatever. Its always a constant 72 degrees underground...and a lot of fun too. It's a bit like Penn Station in NYC but much nicer and larger. There are 7 miles of tunnels filled with stores and restaurants under Houston.

Yikes I always talk too much. I will stop there.

He must have written this before the construction... Vegas Traffic = 10 times as bad as houston. It took me no less than 75 minutes to get to/from Cheyenne to/from Anthem. What a Joke.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:58 PM

15,758 posts, read 19,232,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
He must have written this before the construction... Vegas Traffic = 10 times as bad as houston. It took me no less than 75 minutes to get to/from Cheyenne to/from Anthem. What a Joke.

Uhh sorry...but you are not living right. I have made the trip to and from Craig to Anthem at least a dozen times in the last 4 or 5 weeks including the height of the rush hour and I never went past 45 or 50 minutes. Most were 35 or less. Got lucky on one trip up eastern and did it in under 30 minutes. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City