U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:08 PM

35 posts, read 99,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFlesh View Post
I recently escaped to Chicago after two years in Boston. Boston is essentially Scranton with rich people. DC's even more depressing. If you're going to be on the East Coast, you might as well be in New York. Everywhere else, you're just paying a lot of money to live nowhere special.

EXACTLY! Perfectly stated!

Boston is no big deal. It definitely has a very snooty-patootie vibe, I'd say more-so than NYC. I have found in my travels to both places that people in NYC are fast paced but as friendly as they have time to be, whereas in Boston things aren't as fast paced and people aren't nearly as nice as they should be. Personally, I would highly recommend NYC over Boston without question.

Now, with all that said, I have not yet been to Chicago and already like it better than both places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM

88 posts, read 321,908 times
Default 1. Chi 2. NY 3. Bos

useasbackup - I also spent a lot of time comparing the 3 cities and I work in Business/IT systems, so I can't speak from an Architect's perspective, but here's my summary:

NY has a lot to offer anyone from any field and the singles scene is pretty good there although I wasn't too impressed with the MeatPacking crowd as they were a little too Gotti for me. NY has a rather bland architecture and style to it that I thought looked a lot nicer on a postcard than in person. Others may disagree with me on this, but Chicago has a much more stunning architectural style to it than NY. Although I find Chicago's architecture more interesting, I do like Broadway and think there will always only be one true Broadway.

Chicago has everything I liked about NY, plus it's got a lot more to offer IMO. The Chicago School is a good group to get plugged in with if I were you. If you look at the proposed projects in Chicago compared to NY, you will see that it's now Chicago's time to shine in the sky and let NY take 2nd place in this category. The city, the people and the government of NY all fail pretty bad at design review with regards to skyscrapers and supertalls. Chicago talks about a project and then executes whereas NY talks and spends a lot of money doing just that. IMO the work ethic is stronger in Chicago than NY, but NY'ers are good about getting things done in business too, so it's a toss-up sometimes. Overall, I would advise Chicago over NY and as for the singles scene, spend some time around Wrigley and Lincoln Park before you make any decisions in that area.

Boston is a great place and I have good memories of Boston and Cambridge, but c'mon...Boston isn't even in the same league as Chicago and NY. Boston is very reserved and from an architecture fan's (not a professional) perspective, Boston is well...ummm...kinda bland, boring and small. There's one project in Cambridge that is worth looking into, but overall, you will probably get bored there. Boston's BackBay & Newberry can all be found in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood too, so save your time and money and just come to Chicago.
And as for the singles scene in Boston, I don't think it's any secret that it's a much more reserved culture, so good luck getting people to warm up to you there. BTW - Boston's very provincial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasbackup View Post
I'm at my late 20s, single, female, foreign national, architect and is considering relocating. after some research, I'm sending resumes basically to NY, Boston and Chicago. however, there're some dilemmas in terms of which city to go , any of your opinions are greatly appreciated.

things important to me are: job and dating( I do want to start a family in 5 yrs and would want to go to a city that have more interesting activities and better odds for me.) living expenses are not top issue for me since I don't want to buy a house in 5 yrs. I'm not American, so I'd like to go somewhere not necessarily diversified but I hope people are open minded.

1. NY. New york is great, with so much energy and diversity. the biggest drawback for me is architectural scene in NY is not so great. It's easy to land a job but it's very hard to find a very good one that does more than residential work. also I heard the female/ male ratio is not favorable for me?
2. Boston. I like Boston coz there should be a lot of lectures and young people since it's a college town. the drawback is long winter and reserved nature of locals.
3. Chicago. jobs are good. but I had always find the city a little intimidating, and when I think of the city, I can't really think of anything else except the lake front area

I've never applied for DC. I would consider DC as well. thanks a lot in advance!

Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM

88 posts, read 321,908 times
totally agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Not really... You can easily measure the affordability of an area by comparing income levels to cost of living, and New York is way out of whack compared to most of the world. London is worse. It's hard to ink out a living in New York these days, even with high-income jobs.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,980,993 times
These questions of where to live by comparing cities is useful. Legitamate questions are asked. And I hope they are helpful for the person trying to make the decision.

But I can't help it. I find these Chicago vs. NYC, Chicago vs. Boston, Chicago vs. LA, etc., discussions laughable.

They are completely out of tune with the way that Chicagoans think.

Point is for the "real" Chicagoans in unbelievable numbers, there is really one one great place to live: Chicago. While it has always been my experience tha out-of-towners are crazy about our city, I am far more impressed by how Chicagoans feel about Chicagoans. Chicago is that rare breed indeed where Chicagoans carry out a love affair with Chicago. We live, breathe, and die Chicago. And we don't want to be elsewhere.

We don't compare ourselves to New York or LA or anyplace because the only place we want to be is Chicago. And the only city we are in competition with because of its greatness is the Chicago of today which we want to exceed if such is possible with an even better Chicago of tomorrow. Real Chicagoans don't care if you think the world ends at the Hudson, that we are some how part of "flyover country", that you see us not coastal, as some overgrown "suburb". Mainly because we don't have a damned thing to prove. We have everything a world class, global, alpha city would want right here and we are not in anybody's shadow.

I'm a home-town guy and make no bones about it. I'm in love with the place, I consider it the ultimate American city IMHO and make no bones about it. Chicago thrills the pants off of me and if I return home from NYC (a city I like very much), there is no let down and no sense of little town blues.

I'm far more interested in how Chicagoans feel about Chicago than I am about how out-of-towners do. And those fellow Chicagoans don't disappoint.

Greatest American city? To me it's the one that is Second to None: Chicago!

Sorry for the rant and being over-the-top, but, darn it: Chicago deserves it!

Old 09-02-2008, 04:10 AM

371 posts, read 990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
These questions of where to live by comparing cities is useful. Legitamate questions are asked. And I hope they are helpful for the person trying to make the decision.

But I can't help it. I find these Chicago vs. NYC, Chicago vs. Boston, Chicago vs. LA, etc., discussions laughable.

They are completely out of tune with the way that Chicagoans think.

Point is for the "real" Chicagoans in unbelievable numbers, there is really one one great place to live: Chicago. While it has always been my experience tha out-of-towners are crazy about our city, I am far more impressed by how Chicagoans feel about Chicagoans. Chicago is that rare breed indeed where Chicagoans carry out a love affair with Chicago. We live, breathe, and die Chicago. And we don't want to be elsewhere.

We don't compare ourselves to New York or LA or anyplace because the only place we want to be is Chicago. And the only city we are in competition with because of its greatness is the Chicago of today which we want to exceed if such is possible with an even better Chicago of tomorrow. Real Chicagoans don't care if you think the world ends at the Hudson, that we are some how part of "flyover country", that you see us not coastal, as some overgrown "suburb". Mainly because we don't have a damned thing to prove. We have everything a world class, global, alpha city would want right here and we are not in anybody's shadow.

I'm a home-town guy and make no bones about it. I'm in love with the place, I consider it the ultimate American city IMHO and make no bones about it. Chicago thrills the pants off of me and if I return home from NYC (a city I like very much), there is no let down and no sense of little town blues.

I'm far more interested in how Chicagoans feel about Chicago than I am about how out-of-towners do. And those fellow Chicagoans don't disappoint.

Greatest American city? To me it's the one that is Second to None: Chicago!

Sorry for the rant and being over-the-top, but, darn it: Chicago deserves it!
when to many people give these type of statements it makes that city overrated IMO

Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM

5,050 posts, read 5,980,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
when to many people give these type of statements it makes that city overrated IMO
and i am perfectly comfortable with your observation, NYCBoy. I'm not into the ratings thing. Chicago rates with Chicagoans and for me that says a mouthful. the only mouthful. We love it and we're here and we are hardly asking you to get on board with the lovefest.

As for your New York City: not the least bit overrated NYCB. It's as great as they come. Fantastic city with a special vibe all its own. Love the place.

And here's the beauty of it all: when you are a Chicagoan and you have confidence in your own city, you are secure enough to praise peer cities like New York, Los Angeles, Washington, Boston, San Francisco, etc......all, may I add, truly great cities with not one of them overrated....with the comfort of knowing their greatness takes nothing away from the greatness of Chicago.

Sorry to disappoint, NYCB, but when we Chicagoans want to see how great Chicago is, we merely open our eyes to look. We don't have to look to comparisons to New York. Or LA. Or San Fran. Or London or Paris, for that matter.

Then again, your city is so great and so wonderful that, believe me, you should feel secure enough about it that you don't have to look to Chicago, SF, LA, DC, or Boston for comparisons. New York rocks and it stands on its own two very proud feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City