U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which would fit my preferences the best?
L.A. 29 21.48%
NYC 49 36.30%
Chicago 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,251,406 times
Reputation: 870

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
Of course not. Lets argue based on opinions and preferences and talk instead about atmosphere during the national anthem as one of you guys did trying to prove that Chicago sports life is as fascinating, or more, than New York sports life.

You guys know very well that based on objective data New York offers much more and higher quality sports than Chicago. You know very well that the Cubs or Sox are no match for the Yankees and Chicago cant offer two basketball teams, two football teams and three hockey teams like New York not to mention truly international events like US Open in tennis.

Why do you even argue this? Nothing better to do?
Both "NY" football teams play in New Jersey. One "NY" basketball team plays in New Jersey. The New Jersey Devils are in NJ, not NY.

All of Chicago's 5 major sports franchises (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks) play IN THE CITY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM
 
107 posts, read 96,862 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Both "NY" football teams play in New Jersey. One "NY" basketball team plays in New Jersey. The New Jersey Devils are in NJ, not NY.

All of Chicago's 5 major sports franchises (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks) play IN THE CITY.
I really apologize that the population dencity is twice higher in the Northeast than in Midwest, that New Yorks city is much older and three times more populous than Chicago and that it is lanlocked by rivers and two other states forcing some of the institutions of metro life to be located outside of city limits and in other states.

Anyways, is this your argument proving that Chicago sports life is on par or better than New York's? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
 
101 posts, read 80,168 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Both "NY" football teams play in New Jersey. One "NY" basketball team plays in New Jersey. The New Jersey Devils are in NJ, not NY.

All of Chicago's 5 major sports franchises (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks) play IN THE CITY.
You conveniently "forgot" the Chicago Fire, which has higher attendance than the Blackhawks most years, and plays in the suburbs.

And you conveniently "forgot" the fact that the NJ Nets are moving to a brand new arena in downtown Brooklyn next year.

But what's your point? Why does this matter?

Cleveland has all its teams in the city, and San Francisco has only one. Does this mean Cleveland is better than San Francisco? LOL!

Why would there be a football stadium in NYC? The land is too expensive for stadia and tailgating and parking lots.

And NYC still has the same (and soon more) professional stadia within city limits than Chicago. NYC has four (with a fifth on the way) and Chicago has four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 1,502,298 times
Reputation: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Both "NY" football teams play in New Jersey. One "NY" basketball team plays in New Jersey. The New Jersey Devils are in NJ, not NY.

All of Chicago's 5 major sports franchises (Cubs, Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks) play IN THE CITY.
Im a die hard Yankees/Giants/Knicks fan, and I usually dont get into these arguments, but how is any of what you say relevant? There is very little space to put a football arena in the city, I can make it to Giants stadium in 15-20 min from Manhattan (its only a few miles away).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,251,406 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Im a die hard Yankees/Giants/Knicks fan, and I usually dont get into these arguments, but how is any of what you say relevant? There is very little space to put a football arena in the city, I can make it to Giants stadium in 15-20 min from Manhattan (its only a few miles away).
It isn't. I was making an argument like how Dallas101/Miami11 makes an argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,678 posts, read 4,350,262 times
Reputation: 2852
this is a complete joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 07:10 AM
 
2,045 posts, read 2,490,890 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
I really apologize that the population dencity is twice higher in the Northeast than in Midwest, that New Yorks city is much older and three times more populous than Chicago and that it is lanlocked by rivers and two other states forcing some of the institutions of metro life to be located outside of city limits and in other states.

Anyways, is this your argument proving that Chicago sports life is on par or better than New York's? Lol
Dementor, how many aliases have you had so far... 80? 90? If I may suggest, how about "White Plains Parent's Basement00"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
 
107 posts, read 96,862 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
It isn't. I was making an argument like how Dallas101/Miami11 makes an argument.
Bud, i proved NYC's sports life beats Chicago's hands down both in quality and quantity, i provided the names of teams playing in NYC metro area. Your argument on the other hand was simply absurd.

Last edited by miami11; 08-11-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,019,556 times
Reputation: 18436
Chicago, easy. Aside from the weather, the people are down-to-earth, including the women you will meet. Friends you make stay for life. It's an incredible city, full of endless opportunities, and not in your face about it either. Seasons add spice to your life.

NY, with all it's amenities, is a hell hole. Congestion, stress, crowds, lines, the city makes you adjust to it. Loud-mouth know-it-alls, pure pirates, swaggering around like they own the place, ready to give all the answers without asking any questions, ...and this just describes the women.

LA, also has its good points, but Jesus Christ. Land of the Larks. Fake blondes, liposuction, tummy-tuck, botox, therapy sessions, too much makeup, people running around with the greatest difficulty growing old gracefully, worst humor in the world, and feet firmly planted in the air, ...and this just describes the men..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,251,406 times
Reputation: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami11 View Post
Bud, i proved NYC's sports life beats Chicago's hands down both in quality and quantity, i provided the names of teams playing in NYC metro area. Your argument on the other hand was simply absurd.
First off, you haven't proven anything. All you have done is recite facts, several of which are incorrect.

Quality of sports is not determined just by winning. Would you say that Dallas has the most quality NBA team because they won the championship?

There were plenty of years that the Yankees were atrocious and plenty of the years the Mets were just horrible.

Your arguments are borderline ridiculous. I think anyone with any knowledge of baseball history knows the Yankees are the top dog since 1901/1903.

I also think that anyone with any basketball knowledge knows while the Knicks are a powerhouse team, they are not a premium franchise like the Lakers, Celtics, and Bulls. The Knicks haven't been a dominant force in the league in terms of championships or an era.

But as I said, quality isn't just determined by winning. What good is a team like Kansas City winning if they can't draw more than 15,000 people a game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top