Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would fit my preferences the best?
L.A. 29 21.48%
NYC 49 36.30%
Chicago 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:34 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,061 times

Advertisements

^^ how can you make such a statement without explaining yourself?
that type of attitude is exactly what ppl dont want in a city. with all the input that has been given you should have an idea of what youre looking for. I will add that public transit is very doable in Los Angeles as I did it for several months. Personally, I would much rather get off of work and head to my car without having to worry about catching the next train or bus.
With a car, life is much easier(IMO; more expensive but you'll get anywhere in half the time.

---Sent via Pocket PC at Sprint Speed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 02:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
To bad L.A. doesn't have good public transportation this would be much easier. Is it considerable savings using public transit?

Thanks for all the thoughts so far! anybody else?
If you plan VERY well you can get a life where you don't need to use a car much in Los Angeles. It isn't NEARLY as close as Chicago and NYC in ease of use though. A few Los Angeles posters do or at least have used public transportation as there main way of getting around and said it was fine. Ask them how they like it. They key is that you have to live in the correct community that is PT friendly. For example, the San Fernando Valley area would not be a public transit paradise. Places like Silver Lake or Hollywood or Pasadena are on rail lines and can take you to a few spots and bus connections are readily available. Where you run into problems is this scenario: "You meet someone and eventually become friends. They invite you to a Super Bowl party but they live in the Hollywood Hills, essentially a giant hill with cliff side homes. Buses and other forms of PT can't make it into the hills so you can't get to your friend's house." or "You work in downtown Los Angeles but need to go to an affiliate branch in Irvine, CA because your boss said so. Orange County bus service only runs on the hour so it takes you 3.5 hours to travel by train and bus, by what is a 50 minute drive."

Basically, it probably is easier to go "car lite" in LA instead of car free. You could live on a rail line and commute to work every day on it, but when you need to deviate to the areas where public transportation is sparse, you are out of luck. Perhaps rent cars when you need to or join Zip Car Sharing.

Try living on a rail line. There are lots of financial jobs in downtown where most the rail lines meet, so it is the easiest place to get to. There is extensive bus routes to downtown also.

Additional maps are here including the extensive bus system for connections. Metro Rapid Bus routes are very easy and fast. Metro Maps

Other operators are the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, Foothill Transit, LADOT Dash/Commuter Express, and Culver City Bus. These are all the most popular.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Weather aside, Chicago sounds the best for you. Why? Your dollar will go much further here than LA or NYC, which is what is important, right? Nightlife and sports? Dont get much better than Chicago, youll absolutely LOVE it.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
If you plan VERY well you can get a life where you don't need to use a car much in Los Angeles. It isn't NEARLY as close as Chicago and NYC in ease of use though. A few Los Angeles posters do or at least have used public transportation as there main way of getting around and said it was fine. Ask them how they like it. They key is that you have to live in the correct community that is PT friendly. For example, the San Fernando Valley area would not be a public transit paradise. Places like Silver Lake or Hollywood or Pasadena are on rail lines and can take you to a few spots and bus connections are readily available. Where you run into problems is this scenario: "You meet someone and eventually become friends. They invite you to a Super Bowl party but they live in the Hollywood Hills, essentially a giant hill with cliff side homes. Buses and other forms of PT can't make it into the hills so you can't get to your friend's house." or "You work in downtown Los Angeles but need to go to an affiliate branch in Irvine, CA because your boss said so. Orange County bus service only runs on the hour so it takes you 3.5 hours to travel by train and bus, by what is a 50 minute drive."

Basically, it probably is easier to go "car lite" in LA instead of car free. You could live on a rail line and commute to work every day on it, but when you need to deviate to the areas where public transportation is sparse, you are out of luck. Perhaps rent cars when you need to or join Zip Car Sharing.

Try living on a rail line. There are lots of financial jobs in downtown where most the rail lines meet, so it is the easiest place to get to. There is extensive bus routes to downtown also.

Additional maps are here including the extensive bus system for connections. Metro Rapid Bus routes are very easy and fast. Metro Maps

Other operators are the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, Foothill Transit, LADOT Dash/Commuter Express, and Culver City Bus. These are all the most popular.
are you serious, how can you compare that with this http://nyver.com/repository/map/subwaymap_full_775.gif (broken link)

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
As an Angeleno I would recommend New York City for the reasons others have posted. Climate would be the only plus for you in LA since transportation is horrible. Don't know about job opportunities in your field but I think both Chicago & New York would be fine as well as LA.

Good luck

Old 09-03-2008, 07:18 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I would start out in New York City and then transfer to Chicago if you find it isn't your forte. If you are young, full of energy, and just starting out, I think that New York would be a great place to live, you may not want to spend the rest of your life there, but I think you'd enjoy it, especially if you have a finance background, when starting your career. Not to mention, I think it is good for people to get out of their region of the country for a bit, yeah, Chicago might be easier for you, as a Midwesterner to melt into, but I'm all for new experiences, and if I could go back to a younger day, I would have picked up and moved away from Chicago (I grew up here) to a completely new region of the US, even if it was just for a few years, I think that the experience would have been enriching and beneficial.

Both cities have plenty of opportunities in finance.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:10 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Chicago

Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
If you're form Michigan and really want a new experience, L.A. will offer you that more than the other 2. But if you really want an urban lifestyle which it sounds like you do coming from a small town, NYC is for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times
New York City for better transportation and better urban environment..LA for weather and year round outdoor activities..

Last edited by Scott5280; 07-20-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-20-2009, 04:44 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
LA for the women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City