U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which would fit my preferences the best?
L.A. 29 21.64%
NYC 49 36.57%
Chicago 56 41.79%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM

101 posts, read 20,921 times
If he wants to get into finance, he should go to NYC, not Chicago. Huge difference in financial clout between the cities.

But if weather is the most most important factor, LA wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM

4,900 posts, read 5,584,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
This is an old thread but...what the heck...

I haven't yet been to Chicago or NYC...so I'll just go with a city I know about. LA.

I have no clue why people like to put the city down. It has alot of charachter, and just a nice large city. A bit gritty in some parts, but all major cities are.

I like the weather, and the scenery seems to beat out Chi and NYC. I don't understand why people like to diss LAs skyline for being to small. Its a really nice large sized skyline. I don't think people realize that the skyline isn't even all of the downtown area. Also, if all the skylines throughout the city were in DTLA, it would probably be along the lines of chicagos. Anyways, A huge NYC or Chicago like skyline def wouldn't fit the setting Imo.

The city has perfect weather for me. I don't mind humidity, but dry is more to my taste. I also like the cuisine, shopping, & vibe of the city. Its cool how you can be in the mountains, and 2 hours later, you can be at the beach.

People always knock the city for not being as urban. I don't really care for urbanality and truely don't think that its the only thing that makes up a city. I also like how LA is a huge metro, but also feels like a vacation destination.

I'll be moving to NYC soon, so I'll have to see what its like, and i still need to visit chicago...until then, LA is my pick
At least. Considering LA is 3.8 million and Chicago is 2.7 million.

If you were to glue Century City, Westwood highrises, Miracle Mile, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, yeah it would look like Chicago.

I love LA, and do think its a better city for me, and I am planning on moving there next year. Chicago obviously has the better downtown and therefore a easier and more convenient city for visitors, but the neighborhoods of LA look nicer than Chicagos.

I love the spanish village/mission style stucco and tile. Its so much more attractive than the brown brick, and grey stone that you see in Chicago. Plus I'm more of an outdoor person, and having Griffith Park right there is amazing.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
LA doesn't have a better economy than Chicago. Unless negative job growth and higher unemployment is better.

Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA Economy at a Glance
Maybe LA has a higher unemployment rate, because those who were unemployed left Chicago thus bringing down the rate. I hate to bring up the population loss in the census, but maybe some of those people just moved to other cities for jobs.

And LA experiences more immigration, and I think more people move there without securing a job first. Like people trying to break out in the entertainment industry, and willing to be unemployed or underemployed to do so. This would being up the unemployment rate.

I think people are less likely to move to Chicago without securing a job first. Its just a different mindset.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:08 PM

7,762 posts, read 5,432,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Maybe LA has a higher unemployment rate, because those who were unemployed left Chicago thus bringing down the rate. I hate to bring up the population loss in the census, but maybe some of those people just moved to other cities for jobs.

And LA experiences more immigration, and I think more people move there without securing a job first. Like people trying to break out in the entertainment industry, and willing to be unemployed or underemployed to do so. This would being up the unemployment rate.

I think people are less likely to move to Chicago without securing a job first. Its just a different mindset.
LA has had job loss, Chicago has had job growth aside from unemployment rates.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM

101 posts, read 20,921 times
Quote:
This is false. Chicago has some of the most massive job losses in the nation.

I think the Chicago MSA is third worst in the nation for net job losses since the start of the recession.

LA is pretty bad too in terms of job losses, but overall, the LA economy is larger and more dynamic.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas101 View Post

I think the Chicago MSA is third worst in the nation for net job losses since the start of the recession.

LA is pretty bad too in terms of job losses, but overall, the LA economy is larger and more dynamic.
YTD LA is down -0.4%

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/SMU06...a_tool=XGtable

YTD Chicago is up +0.6%

Unemployment rate is over 12% in LA it's over 10% in Chicago.

I doubt LA's economy is more diversified.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:48 PM

4,028 posts, read 4,161,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
BTW gronzy, that was quick in getting a new screename huh?
Dallas101 needed a new one once it lost one of its three.

Quote:

We thought you would never grace us with you troll presence again.

But, you didn't skip a beat, you're right back into attacking Chicago!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Oh and per capita income is higher in Chicago than LA.

And guess which one has a higher cost of living?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I noticed you posted the stats for: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale. Thats just LA county.

I wonder what the stats would be like for the combined metro areas for each.

The other issue to consider is: what kind of jobs are being lost??

That might be significant too. If Chicagoans can point to the 200,000 population loss as "well, its the impoverished projects and declining neighborhoods that are losing people, well educated young professionals are moving in" well I'm sure some Angelenos might be able to find some evidence to point out that "well its low end service jobs that are getting cut, due to people cutting costs and taking care of their own yard rather than hiring someone to do it."

If population loss can be chalked up to gentrification, well I'm sure a net job loss can be spun the same way.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:23 PM

The stats are from the Federal Govt. It's not spin, just the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City