U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
 
61 posts, read 83,463 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
This post looks eerily familiar (like I've seen it somewhere). As far as the expansion, you just named a bunch of stores that Houston has/or is under construction in The Galleria. Houston has Rice Village or River Oaks Shopping District for more upscale shopping as well. Still, with Northpark's expansion, The Galleria is still bigger and really has five department stores (Dillard's, Saks, Neiman's, Nordstrom, and two Macy's).

I'd say Memorial City can match up with Galleria Dallas. That area is getting more upscale retail. Also Willowbrook and watch out for The Woodlands Mall. Rumor has it that a Ritz-Carlton is building along the canal there.

The W-Hotel opened in Dallas, but that ghostbar thing is struggling. Also, the Victory Park area that the hotel is in is struggling big time. For one, Mandarin Oriental got canceled. They painted over the sign and only built the parking garage before leaving. Then, high-end retailers are leaving out of the Victory Park area completely. Other retailers are as well. Park Lane Place is soon to be finished? That's nice, but nothing different than West Ave in Houston, or the Houston Pavilions.

Now you spoke of Barney's New York. That department store is rumored to go into this development: River Oaks District (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/deve/houston/index.htm - broken link). As for the Ritz, that is going into BLVD Place (http://www.wulfe.com/boulevardplace.asp - broken link), which is under construction on Phase I now.

So how is Houston going to catch up? Well, catch up to what exactly?
Actually I specifically named only the stores that Houston "doesn't" have with the exception of Valentino. Your fashion knowledge need to be updated. I don't think Houston has Oscar de la Renta, Roberto Cavalli, Hugo Boss, Escada or Harry Winston. I'm glad your Galleria Houston has 5 department stores without Barneys New York though.

I've never heard of Memorial City so it's not important enough to count.

So rumor that "Barneys New York is rumored to go into this development: River Oaks District (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/deve/houston/index.htm - broken link)" means it's actually going to happen? Are you being for real? The Barneys here is having great business and they chose Dallas because (according to the company) Houston is not as cosmopolitan.

Maybe you need to understand between "rumors" and what's actually going to happen.

 
Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,657,741 times
Reputation: 191
I would go with dallas because dallas more than one upscale malls like miami metro houstone does not have 3 or 4 galleria type malls. That's why there is more upscale shopping in dallas. Miami metro and dallas metro are the only citys that have the most upscale malls and street upscale type developments
 
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
 
1,694 posts, read 4,952,290 times
Reputation: 689
Dallas no question.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,444,371 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I would go with dallas because dallas more than one upscale malls like miami metro houstone does not have 3 or 4 galleria type malls. That's why there is more upscale shopping in dallas. Miami metro and dallas metro are the only citys that have the most upscale malls and street upscale type developments
Dallas has: Northpark, Galleria, and Collin Creek. Houston has Galleria and Memorial City now. The only reason why Dallas has so many is because it's trade area is much larger than Houston. Houston is sandwiched in While Dallas' stretches out to New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, much of Northenr Louisiana, etc. In other words, Houston does not need as much as Dallas. And please list the "street upscale type developments" in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Actually I specifically named only the stores that Houston "doesn't" have with the exception of Valentino. Your fashion knowledge need to be updated. I don't think Houston has Oscar de la Renta, Roberto Cavalli, Hugo Boss, Escada or Harry Winston. I'm glad your Galleria Houston has 5 department stores without Barneys New York though.
And Houston has stores than Dallas doesn't. Your point?

Quote:
I've never heard of Memorial City so it's not important enough to count.
And I had not heard of Northpark until I actually went to Dallas. Does that mean its not important? Just because you haven't heard of it? Wow.

Quote:
So rumor that "Barneys New York is rumored to go into this development: River Oaks District (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/deve/houston/index.htm - broken link)" means it's actually going to happen? Are you being for real? The Barneys here is having great business and they chose Dallas because (according to the company) Houston is not as cosmopolitan.
There were rumors that Ritz Carlton was building in Dallas. It happened. There have already been articles on the company trying to court in Barney's (it's in the renderings), etc. And Houston is not as cosmopolitan according to the company? You have a link?

Quote:
Maybe you need to understand between "rumors" and what's actually going to happen.
Same with you buddy.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,893 posts, read 4,206,801 times
Reputation: 2181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Dallas has: Northpark, Galleria, and Collin Creek. Houston has Galleria and Memorial City now. The only reason why Dallas has so many is because it's trade area is much larger than Houston. Houston is sandwiched in While Dallas' stretches out to New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, much of Northenr Louisiana, etc. In other words, Houston does not need as much as Dallas. And please list the "street upscale type developments" in Dallas.
Don't forget Stonebriar Centre.

Several street-style upscale developments:

Park Lane
West Village
Mockingbird Station

Several others in the north and west suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
And Houston has stores than Dallas doesn't. Your point?
List some upscale stores Houston has that Dallas doesn't?
 
Old 03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,657,741 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Dallas has: Northpark, Galleria, and Collin Creek. Houston has Galleria and Memorial City now. The only reason why Dallas has so many is because it's trade area is much larger than Houston. Houston is sandwiched in While Dallas' stretches out to New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, much of Northenr Louisiana, etc. In other words, Houston does not need as much as Dallas. And please list the "street upscale type developments" in Dallas.



And Houston has stores than Dallas doesn't. Your point?



And I had not heard of Northpark until I actually went to Dallas. Does that mean its not important? Just because you haven't heard of it? Wow.



There were rumors that Ritz Carlton was building in Dallas. It happened. There have already been articles on the company trying to court in Barney's (it's in the renderings), etc. And Houston is not as cosmopolitan according to the company? You have a link?



Same with you buddy.


memorial city does not look like galleria mall
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,392,242 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
memorial city does not look like galleria mall
Have you seen the Galleria in Dallas? It's nothing to brag about. I've been there and it's your typical mall. Northpark on the other hand is amazing. That mall blows away all the Houston malls combined.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,444,371 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Don't forget Stonebriar Centre.

Several street-style upscale developments:

Park Lane
West Village
Mockingbird Station

Several others in the north and west suburbs.
Park Lane is upscale to you? It's nothing different than Town & Country Village/City Centre in West Houston. West Village upscale? It's no different than River Oaks Shopping Center. Mockingbird Station? Almost exact same store listing as Rice Village. Stonebriar Centre isn't really upscale. It's more like The Woodlands Mall.

Quote:
List some upscale stores Houston has that Dallas doesn't?
Frette, Dior, Emporio Armani, and Ermenegildo Zegna, to name a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
memorial city does not look like galleria mall
What do you mean doesn't look like it? Yeah, it's built differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Have you seen the Galleria in Dallas? It's nothing to brag about. I've been there and it's your typical mall. Northpark on the other hand is amazing. That mall blows away all the Houston malls combined.
How does Northpark blow all other malls in Houston away? I lived in Dallas and have been there plenty of times and don't see how. Is it because the whole mall was renovated to look the same and Houston Galleria has "new" areas and "old" areas? The location of Houston Galleria makes it a lot better for me, also.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,392,242 times
Reputation: 5771
Angel713

I just personally like Northpark better. My first time to go there was a week ago and I was blown away by how many stores there I liked. There are only a few stores at the Houston Galleria that I shop at and the other malls in town have maybe 2 or 3 stores I will go to. The location of Houston Galleria is good for me too (I live 2 blocks from it), but most of the stores are not geared towards anything I like.
 
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,444,371 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Angel713

I just personally like Northpark better. My first time to go there was a week ago and I was blown away by how many stores there I liked. There are only a few stores at the Houston Galleria that I shop at and the other malls in town have maybe 2 or 3 stores I will go to. The location of Houston Galleria is good for me too (I live 2 blocks from it), but most of the stores are not geared towards anything I like.
I see.

I feel different though. I like the Houston Galleria better for its store selection. I do like the art that Northpark has, but Northpark feels too secluded and segregated I guess. Galleria feels more open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top