Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
They are trying to develop it and was in the process on doing that. Than the economy happened. But yes. Right now it's a bunch of malls which sucks. When it comes to weather, Texans can become a bunch of wusses.
pfft....you guys ***** about the heat, we ***** about the cold. same difference

Wouldn't the Galleria area be considered a shopping district though???

Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,094,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Yeah it can be considered on but most people look at shopping districts to be street shopping, like rodeo dr newburry st. chicagos mile. etc those are shopping districts where you dont have to go in a mall to shop

Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Yeah it can be considered on but most people look at shopping districts to be street shopping, like rodeo dr newburry st. chicagos mile. etc those are shopping districts where you dont have to go in a mall to shop
The Galleria is a mall. Uptown Houston is like the shopping district. It just needs to get more walkable.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I actually can do the heat though. I prefer the cold weather but wouldn't mind heat. Now Phoenix heat? NAH.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM

182 posts, read 314,361 times
My vote goes to Houston because a lot of impressive designer stores have closed in Dallas including Prada. Dallas' only upscale malls would be Highland Park and Northpark. Dallas Galleria has a lot of unleased retail space and has lost big name retailers that have relocated inside of Northpark. Dallas Victory was very promising when it first open but its a total joke now, Nove and N9ne restaurants have closed. Northpark is the only place worth shopping at in Dallas, Highland Park has very limited parking. Houston tends to get designer stores before Dallas because Houston has more international visitors (yes its very true). Houston has very rare stores such as Lenny e Cia, Churchs, and Donald J Pliner. I personally like Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston its very impressive and huge compared to others I've been to. Both cities have stores that the other does not. Dallas lacks a district like Uptown in Houston.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Dallas definately wins this one. Even my father who hates the hell out of Dallas and lives in Houston says that Dallas has the best shopping in the South outside Miami. He brings his trophy wife up here to shop every 2 months or so.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:02 AM

61 posts, read 103,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
My vote goes to Houston because a lot of impressive designer stores have closed in Dallas including Prada. Dallas' only upscale malls would be Highland Park and Northpark. Dallas Galleria has a lot of unleased retail space and has lost big name retailers that have relocated inside of Northpark. Dallas Victory was very promising when it first open but its a total joke now, Nove and N9ne restaurants have closed. Northpark is the only place worth shopping at in Dallas, Highland Park has very limited parking. Houston tends to get designer stores before Dallas because Houston has more international visitors (yes its very true). Houston has very rare stores such as Lenny e Cia, Churchs, and Donald J Pliner. I personally like Saks Fifth Avenue in Houston its very impressive and huge compared to others I've been to. Both cities have stores that the other does not. Dallas lacks a district like Uptown in Houston.
Dallas has impressive designer stores closed and Houston doesn't? What about Luca Luca and Dolce & Gabbana?

Houston tends to get designer stores BEFORE Dallas? We got the first Chanel, Hugo Boss, Escada, St. John, Tod's, Valentino, Roberto Cavalli, Oscar de la Renta, Harry Winston, Jimmy Choo, Hermes, Tory Burch and among others.

Houston has "rare" stores? Dallas has Texas' only Herve Leger, Henri Bendel, Carolina Herrera, Loro Piana, Rugby from Ralph Lauren, Scoop, VINCE, Judith Ripka, Intermix, 7 for all Mankind, Diesel and one of the only two Beretta Gallery stores in the entire country out of 7 stores in the world.

Houston has only one Neiman, one Saks, one Nordstrom. Dallas has several Neimans, two Nordstroms, two Saks, and Texas' only Barneys New York.

I don't know what Uptown Houston district you're talking about but Dallas Art District is one of the best in the world and that beats out everything Houston Uptown has. Get your head straight.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Dallas has impressive designer stores closed and Houston doesn't? What about Luca Luca and Dolce & Gabbana?

Houston tends to get designer stores BEFORE Dallas? We got the first Chanel, Hugo Boss, Escada, St. John, Tod's, Valentino, Roberto Cavalli, Oscar de la Renta, Harry Winston, Jimmy Choo, Hermes, Tory Burch and among others.

Houston has "rare" stores? Dallas has Texas' only Herve Leger, Henri Bendel, Carolina Herrera, Loro Piana, Rugby from Ralph Lauren, Scoop, VINCE, Judith Ripka, Intermix, 7 for all Mankind, Diesel and one of the only two Beretta Gallery stores in the entire country out of 7 stores in the world.

Houston has only one Neiman, one Saks, one Nordstrom. Dallas has several Neimans, two Nordstroms, two Saks, and Texas' only Barneys New York.

I don't know what Uptown Houston district you're talking about but Dallas Art District is one of the best in the world and that beats out everything Houston Uptown has. Get your head straight.
Did you just seriously compare Dallas Art District to Uptown Houston???? Two different things.

Also nothing in Dallas compares to Houston's Uptown District you mean:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/...5cd5d49a_b.jpg

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Uptown Houston and Arts District Dallas are two different animals. But one cannot blame boutique closures such as Prada on Dallas. The Prada boutique stores across the country have been struggling for quite some time now and there were others closings besides Dallas. Perhaps when it regains some more strength it will return to the Dallas market. They would be silly not too. Its a very strong shopping market.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Dallas is the home of Neiman-Marcus - Mr. Stanley lived just over a block from me in Lakewood.

End of argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City