Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
You have to think about it you have what 3 neimans 2 Saks in the area then you have Barney NY that sales the same stuff. Maybe the market is over saturated with highend.

Houston has the 1 mall it doesnt have any other mall too compete with so anything highend will always end up in the Galleria. The only place I know that can handle that much highend retail is MIAMI
It's because Dallas has a larger trade area than Houston, which is sandwiched in on the coast...

Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Is this a serious question? Really, everyone knows that the only places that have good shopping are NYC, LA and SF because well, because they are on the coasts! Everywhere in between must have only walmarts
Definitely replace SF with Miami...so many people sleep on Miami it's hilarious lmao.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,106 times
Seriously, in the US New York and Los Angeles always get the first handful of stores that come out, then next in line is Miami and Las Vegas.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Is this a serious question? Really, everyone knows that the only places that have good shopping are NYC, LA and SF because well, because they are on the coasts! Everywhere in between must have only walmarts
I'm not trying to attack you but you come into a thread discussing none of the cities you happened to have mentioned on your little list, and then you have the audacity to poke fun of the shopping situations in the two cities that actually are being compared? LOL, wow man, you need to read the title before making comments!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
For upscale shopping, Dallas has a slight edge over Houston. Both cities have their share of designer stores.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:42 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,847,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
For upscale shopping, Dallas has a slight edge over Houston. Both cities have their share of designer stores.
"slight" is an understatement. i feel dfw has a significant edge over houston

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What's going on is that it's in a mall. Don't care how many world class high end fashion retailers you have. It's in a mall. It would be better suited in a shopping district on the street. This IMO is both Houston and Dallas problem. The potential for high end boutiques are there. But they put them all in a mall and as the traffic in the mall goes down, the stores start to leave. Just another reason why I hate malls.

Well Most of Miami's highend stores are in a mall or lifestyle center. The only street thats upscale is Worth Ave, South beach Villages at merrick Park and many parts of Collins. But most of South Florida highend are in Malls.. but yet there still open, They arent loosing any stores...

Maybe this is why H&M wont open a store

Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 PM

182 posts, read 314,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Max Mara and Custo Barcelona recently closed their doors at NorthPark Center this spring. I wonder whats going on there.
add to that Armani, Vilebrequin, Porsche Design, Adidas, Energie, Mango, CK underwear, and Brooks Brothers. I'm starting to think the whole corridor from Neimans to Barneys is cursed lol. A lot of awesome stores have closed in that section of the mall. I know that Miss Sixty closed because the mall was "difficult to work with".

I think the problem with Dallas is that its luxury boutiques are too spread out. You have NorthPark, Highland Park, and Galleria. Luxury stores benefit from being near other luxury stores. If you are in NorthPark would you consider heading to Highland Park for a specific item or brand? Not really you would head to Neimans or another department store.

Houston has really never seen a luxury closure (other than the country's first Dolce & Gabbana), and Houston has had stores from huge designers for years.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Well for some of the stores theres an easy explanation. Brooks Brothers is already close by at West Village. Vilebrequin is now open at Highland Park, Energie had contract issues with the mall, Custo Barcelona has such an odd collection of clothes I would have never bought anything from there. Max Mara and Armani are the real shockers out of what hasnt made it at NorthPark. I understand the whole department store saturation argument in Dallas stores like Zegna, Prada, Armani wont do so hot here because they are mostly suit stores which can easily be found at Neimans and Dallasites are very loyal to that store, they grew up with it. A lot of nice new stores are coming on line for Dallas. I just think Armani should have tried Highland Park before totally pulling out of the market and maybe they will do that. Who knows at this point.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
add to that Armani, Vilebrequin, Porsche Design, Adidas, Energie, Mango, CK underwear, and Brooks Brothers. I'm starting to think the whole corridor from Neimans to Barneys is cursed lol. A lot of awesome stores have closed in that section of the mall. I know that Miss Sixty closed because the mall was "difficult to work with".

I think the problem with Dallas is that its luxury boutiques are too spread out. You have NorthPark, Highland Park, and Galleria. Luxury stores benefit from being near other luxury stores. If you are in NorthPark would you consider heading to Highland Park for a specific item or brand? Not really you would head to Neimans or another department store.

Houston has really never seen a luxury closure (other than the country's first Dolce & Gabbana), and Houston has had stores from huge designers for years.
I thought there was a D&G in Highland Village across the street from Crate and Barrel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City