U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2010, 08:58 AM

2,233 posts, read 2,253,335 times
You guys are real serious about your malls down there, to the point where your malls are transforming into something more than just malls.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:26 AM

31 posts, read 35,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
Haha calm down he/she was referring to its definition "shopping center", because someone had asked if Highland Park was a mall or a shopping center.... "Did you seriously just say that Dallas Highland Park Village is the SAME as Houston's Galleria ? ... Its no competition the Galleria beats Highland Park any day my friend

1. Dior
2. French Connection
3. Emporio Armani
4. Miss Sixty
5. Dylans Candy Bar
4. Max Mara
6. Yves Saint Laurent
7. Adidas
8. Giorgio Armani
9. Baccarat
10. Lalique
11. Bally of Switzerland
12. M Missoni
13. Maxstudio
14. Ermenegildo Zegna
15. Christofle
16. Fendi
Only in Houston would people consider a candy bar and adidas upscale. Lol. And I forgot number 16. for Vilebrequin. But adidas and candy bar is a joke. Lol.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:40 AM

182 posts, read 185,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Only in Houston would people consider a candy bar and adidas upscale. Lol. And I forgot number 16. for Vilebrequin. But adidas and candy bar is a joke. Lol.
That's what I use to say untill they opened here... You said nothing about upscale, you said "exclusives" ..and only in Dallas would people consider listing a pop-up shop, a hair salon and stores that aren't even open yet. LOL

Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 2,160,642 times
Quote:
Haha calm down he/she was referring to its definition "shopping center", because someone had asked if Highland Park was a mall or a shopping center.... "Did you seriously just say that Dallas Highland Park Village is the SAME as Houston's Galleria ? ... Its no competition the Galleria beats Highland Park any day my friend

1. Dior
2. French Connection
3. Emporio Armani
4. Miss Sixty
5. Dylans Candy Bar
4. Max Mara
6. Yves Saint Laurent
7. Adidas
8. Giorgio Armani
9. Baccarat
10. Lalique
11. Bally of Switzerland
12. M Missoni
13. Maxstudio
14. Ermenegildo Zegna
15. Christofle
16. Fendi
The stores listed that Houston offers that Dallas doesn't. Other than Fendi, Zegna and possibly Bally(I wouldnt be surprised to see a Fendi in Dallas, they are expanding their name and opening in Atlanta). Dallas has had those stores and they didnt work out for this market or a location will be opening here. The others aren't a significant loss to the Dallas market and its not like any of those brands aren't available to the public here in the many high end department stores around the area. And possibly these stores can't justify the expense of having more than one location in one state. Which is why I think Dallas has stores that Houston doesn't have as well. It doesn't make one city more cosmopolitan or cooler than the other. Dallas does have a larger variety of upscale shopping its a simple fact that can't be denied.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM

31 posts, read 35,719 times
Quote:
That's what I use to say untill they opened here... You said nothing about upscale, you said "exclusives" ..and only in Dallas would people consider listing a pop-up shop, a hair salon and stores that aren't even open yet. LOL
Frederik Fekkai charges $500 for a haircut at his salon. Dylan's candy bar charges $1000 per Popsicle? lol

Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The stores listed that Houston offers that Dallas doesn't. Other than Fendi, Zegna and possibly Bally(I wouldnt be surprised to see a Fendi in Dallas, they are expanding their name and opening in Atlanta). Dallas has had those stores and they didnt work out for this market or a location will be opening here. The others aren't a significant loss to the Dallas market and its not like any of those brands aren't available to the public here in the many high end department stores around the area. And possibly these stores can't justify the expense of having more than one location in one state. Which is why I think Dallas has stores that Houston doesn't have as well. It doesn't make one city more cosmopolitan or cooler than the other. Dallas does have a larger variety of upscale shopping its a simple fact that can't be denied.
Oh how the mighty have fallen,
when Atlanta begins to get stores before Dallas ... Its like red lights flashing. I guess a lot of stores just don't work in Dallas, Bloomingdales, Prada, Armani, Dior, Celine, Porsche Design, and Baccarat are huge and a huge loss for Dallas. Houston has had these shops for years and the only one I can remember closing is Dolce & Gabbana but don't be surprised to see it in Houston again, Bailey Banks vacated a huge location right in the center of the "luxury corridor" in the Galleria.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Frederik Fekkai charges $500 for a haircut at his salon. Dylan's candy bar charges $1000 per Popsicle? lol
I always thought Fekkai was a woman lol, Dylans is awesome

Old 06-05-2010, 12:23 PM

4,493 posts, read 4,290,053 times
Wasn't Dolce & Gabbana on the verge of becoming bankrupt? They used to have stores in Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston and a lot of other bigger cities.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Wasn't Dolce & Gabbana on the verge of becoming bankrupt? They used to have stores in Atlanta, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston and a lot of other bigger cities.
I believe so, the Atlanta location closed around the same time that the Houston store closed. There's very few Dolce & Gabbana stores in North America now .. there are a couple of D&G though

Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
I believe so, the Atlanta location closed around the same time that the Houston store closed. There's very few Dolce & Gabbana stores in North America now .. there are a couple of D&G though

Miami's Bal hourbour shops has both D&G and Dolce & gabbana in one mall.. Which Houston nor Dallas can compare to Miami. But I would give the nod to Dallas only because there are more upscale destanations Plus they have that Barneys NY.. Its nothing like having more options.. Hey if I cant find my size in one store at least I can have the associate call another store and see if they have my size. verse waiting or having it shipped... and regardless if the stores are open or not they soon will be open. you can count them in because its not like there just proposed openings. I think the proper words should have been. We are currently about to open several stores...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.