Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,804,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prive212 View Post
My post was directed towards Houston/Dallas and the ATL comment. If I were comparing other cities New York would win hands down in the retail game.

Everyone knows Bal Harbour and Palm Beach and world renown for their fabulous shopping and tourism. But I find Houston and Dallas to be interesting markets as the traffic supporting these boutiques are primarily locals, with tourism on a much smaller scale than N.Y.C., L.A., S.F., L.V., P.B., etc.

I referenced only Prada and Dolce & Gabbana as missing from our market because these are the only two labels available in similar markets but not ours. No one in Houston/Dallas is going to die without a Chloe boutique , Pucci bikini, or one-shoulder Lanvin dress, they can just go to 1 of 4 NM's or Barney's and get their designer goods there.

And I would hardly consider any of the labels you mentioned as must have's for any market. While I love Lanvin, the line has very few boutiques and 90% of business come's from wholesale (Barney's), same with Chloe, and Pucci is evolving but still regarded by the majority as a seasonal (spring) brand and not a must.

On a side note, does anyone even wear Marc Jacobs anymore? What he does for Vuitton is usually very good, but the **** sure hits the fan at his own house.

B

What's wrong with Marc Jacobs? I don't wear fashion clothes or shop in them. Too edgy?

Lanvin only has two boutiques I think (Vegas and Bal Harbour).

Old 06-12-2010, 09:06 PM

165 posts, read 138,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prive212 View Post
My post was directed towards Houston/Dallas and the ATL comment. If I were comparing other cities New York would win hands down in the retail game.

Everyone knows Bal Harbour and Palm Beach and world renown for their fabulous shopping and tourism. But I find Houston and Dallas to be interesting markets as the traffic supporting these boutiques are primarily locals, with tourism on a much smaller scale than N.Y.C., L.A., S.F., L.V., P.B., etc.

I referenced only Prada and Dolce & Gabbana as missing from our market because these are the only two labels available in similar markets but not ours. No one in Houston/Dallas is going to die without a Chloe boutique , Pucci bikini, or one-shoulder Lanvin dress, they can just go to 1 of 4 NM's or Barney's and get their designer goods there.

And I would hardly consider any of the labels you mentioned as must have's for any market. While I love Lanvin, the line has very few boutiques and 90% of business come's from wholesale (Barney's), same with Chloe, and Pucci is evolving but still regarded by the majority as a seasonal (spring) brand and not a must.

On a side note, does anyone even wear Marc Jacobs anymore? What he does for Vuitton is usually very good, but the **** sure hits the fan at his own house.

B
Their is only 1 Neiman Marcus in Houston and Barneys New York is only in Dallas plus you forgot to mention Stanley Korshak and the Two other Saks Fifth Avenue stores in Dallas.

And I don't believe Houston is close to Dallas shopping capability.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 AM

182 posts, read 314,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post
Their is only 1 Neiman Marcus in Houston and Barneys New York is only in Dallas plus you forgot to mention Stanley Korshak and the Two other Saks Fifth Avenue stores in Dallas.

Why because Houston doesn't have an "upscale Wal Mart"? LOL ... The Saks in Houston is one of the best stores in the company, its bigger and offers a better selection. The Saks in Plano is a joke ... I don't think I would drive that far out to shop at mediocre stores.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:

Trust me; no one is complaining about the shopping in Houston. We don't need tons of upscale stores just to boost our egos when you can get plenty of those same type of designs and fashion in the variety of stores we already have here.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 AM

5 posts, read 10,268 times
Default Marc Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
What's wrong with Marc Jacobs? I don't wear fashion clothes or shop in them. Too edgy?

Lanvin only has two boutiques I think (Vegas and Bal Harbour).
Marc Jacobs leaves me with a sloppy imprression of his personal line. I loathe grunge, plaid and anything sweet so his line personally irritates me. I like a stronger woman in fashion, a la Phoebe Philo for Celine or Stefano Pilati for Yves Saint Laurent. These women seem to know what they want out of life and they have the attitude and funds to get them there there.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,886 times
This poll is getting close, not that it matters lol.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Northpark Center

Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM

Northpark Center

is getting an OMEGA

Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,760,186 times
Here we go again!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Quote:
Northpark Center

is getting an OMEGA
I'm not sure how much I would believe that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City