Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM

182 posts, read 314,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate_she View Post
There is such thing as upscale Walmart.

Wal-Mart is showcasing expensive jewelry, $500 bottles of wine, plasma TV sets and other expensive items along with organic foods.
Wal-Mart Goes Upscale

Tom Van Riper,
08.30.06, 6:00 AM ET

"... in Plano, Texas, an upscale suburb of Dallas, Wal-Mart is showcasing expensive jewelry, $500 bottles of wine, plasma TV sets and other expensive items along with organic foods."

forbes.com

Plagiarism at its finest .. Haha

Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
What is expensive jewelry in Wal Mart standards?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 AM

182 posts, read 314,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
What is expensive jewelry in Wal Mart standards?
$40 ... $20 if its a "rollback" price .. ha there's no such thing as an upscale Wal Mart just a Wal Mart with a wine section.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Frederik Fekkai charges $500 for a haircut at his salon. Dylan's candy bar charges $1000 per Popsicle? lol
Maaaaan, why the hell would anyone need $500 haircut? I slide my barber $10, which includes the tip, and my fresh cut is ready to go.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Maaaaan, why the hell would anyone need $500 haircut? I slide my barber $10, which includes the tip, and my fresh cut is ready to go.
Right lol

That haircut better be longlasting.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
So you can feel like a celebrity.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Ya, I suspect something is fishy about this because Custo and Max were right next to each other and both up and closed suddenly at the same time and 2 days later a huge sign of Gucci coming soon pops up. I think NorthPark management had a lot more to do with these closing than the Dallas market. Max should have stayed at Galleria and Custo should have relocated there. Perhaps the two will reopen in Galleria or another Dallas center in the future. Although I dont predict Max opening anytime soon. The companies sales were down almost 60% last year. As for Energie/Miss Sixty, I never realized theres only 4 locations in the U.S. including the Houston location. They don't even have stores in NY or Chi.

I know there is one in Houston Atlanta Miami I dont know where the 4th one is

Old 06-07-2010, 03:32 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
In my blog, I have two videos making fun of Wal-Mart. I normally walk into the store to make some hate video for it... that's the only reason I go there, LOL!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:33 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Bloomingdales filed bankruptcy - closed its Dallas location (looking to re-enter the Dallas market)
Prada - filed bankruptcy closed its Dallas location
Celine- not sure about bankruptcy but has closed other stores due to bad finances.
Armani should have never opened a boutique in Dallas in the first place. Theres way too many other places with very loyal customers that have full line Armani. I can imagine the Houston store performs well because Galleria is the main place to purchase Armani products.
I dont have any info on why Dior closed up shop, I wouldnt be surprised to see it come back to the area with all the high profile designers opening up.
Porsche Design is nothing spectacular, I can see why it didnt do well here.
Baccarat can be purchased in the high end dept stores in Dallas there did not need to be a stand alone store here.

The Dallas market can easily become saturated because there is such a large following to its many highend department stores.
As for the closures of stores in Northpark and beyond. The country is in a huge recession and with Dallas having the largest upscale shopping presence in this part of the country it can easily be overkill and stores scale back or close. Thats exactly what Armani did. The Giorgio Armani in Atlanta is rumored to close and become an Emporio Armani, I guess we'll see what happens there as well. High end retail has taken a big hit from the recession. None of this means Dallas has lost its luster. The fact that Dallas is now attracting rare boutiques you'd only see in Miami, LA or NY says a lot about the area.

Well that rumor is a Lie about gorgio Armani.. Fendi is opening and ermenegildo zegna all this year it was in ajc paper plus I saw the sign last week... Atlanta hasnt lost any of its highend retailers....

Old 06-07-2010, 04:42 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Well that rumor is a Lie about gorgio Armani.. Fendi is opening and ermenegildo zegna all this year it was in ajc paper plus I saw the sign last week... Atlanta hasnt lost any of its highend retailers....
Well... Atlanta did recently lose some exclusive ones. Used to be Judith Leiber at Lenox (rumours that it may open again at Phipps), and Jil Sander at Phipps Plaza (although the store was profitable, the owner merged it with the Jeffrey store).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City