Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the best upscale shopping in Texas?
Dallas 37 61.67%
Houston 23 38.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,415,719 times

Advertisements

I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure the Ralph Lauren Galleria store in Houston carries the various color labels. I'm certain they have the purple label stuff, and the women's collections.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,862,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolos View Post
I apologize for reviving this thread...but I had to respond to an ignorant comment.

I think most people realize the difference between RL and Polo...but before you make a comment, you should realize that Phoenix has one of the most stocked Ralph Laurens in the country (RL Home all the way to RL Purple, Black, Collection, etc....in fact Houston doesn't carry all the labels...)

Dallas, yes, Houston, no. As you might know if you have been following the retail industry over the past few years, Dallas has been booming whereas Houston has remained relatively stagnant (and has even contracted in terms of sales volume over the past few years). The revitalization of NorthPark and Highland Park Village (after Dior closed) has launched Dallas way ahead of Houston in terms of luxury retail options; so yes, Dallas has several stores that may or may not ever come to Phoenix.

Keep in mind that Phoenix is a much smaller city than either Dallas or Houston. But Phoenix has been growing particularly fast in terms of retail, and within the last year or two has been able to gain (already built or under construction) almost all the major luxury retailers Houston has (e.g. Bottega, Bvlgari, CH Carolina, Hermes, Jimmy Choo, YSL, etc). Moreover, as AZLiam said, there are several retailers that are already present (e.g. Calypso, Escada, roberto botticelli), or have already committed to Phoenix/Scottsdale that have yet to even mention Houston on their radar (e.g. Barneys NY, Bloomingdale's, John Varvatos, Leiber, Nanette Lepore, Oscar de la Renta, Theory, etc.)

Yes...there are still some retailers Houston has that Phoenix/Scottsdale doesn't have...but within the next few years or so it will be pretty much comparable, whereas Dallas will still remain pretty far ahead.
Hardly.

I'm not sure that you are familiar with Houston at all. For one, you said Barney's NY hasn't even considered Houston. May I point to the River Oaks District development in Houston, where Barney's is rumored to be coming in (along with W Hotel and La Madeleine Hotel). Also, you say Houston has been stagnant in its retail development? Not at all. Ed Hardy just opened, Adidas will open later this year. Ermenegildo Zegna opens in early 2009. (Finally) also in 2009 Valentino, Guess Footwear, Gilly Hicks, Hilfiger Denim, and Frette. Also Adrenalina, Avalon, Fredricks of Hollywood, Sneaker Lab, and Republic of Couture will also open.

Dallas has Northpark Mall and Houston has The Galleria. Dallas has Dallas Galleria and Houston has Memorial City Mall. Dallas has Highland Park Village and Houston has Rice Village. Add to that all of the new developments in Uptown (BLVD Place, which will include a Ritz-Carlton, River Oaks District, etc.).

Get educated.

Dallas is not far ahead of Houston at all.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:00 PM

182 posts, read 312,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I may be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure the Ralph Lauren Galleria store in Houston carries the various color labels. I'm certain they have the purple label stuff, and the women's collections.
Ralph Lauren in The Galleria carries the entire collection including Purple Label, it doesn't carry RL Home but that crap can be found everywhere including Macys LOL.

"Manolos" Dallas and Houston are only miles apart yet both have an impressive line up (De Beers, Chanel, Hermes, Cartier, Giorgio Armani, etc). Before NorthPark expanded, Houston was way ahead of Dallas, but now its seems like Dallas is getting a little ahead. Houston has a couple of developments that will bring some new retailers to the market. Not to mention that Valentino, Ermenegildo Zegna and Frette are opening in The Galleria as mention by someone else.

I believe this thread is Dallas and Houston, not Dallas, Houston and Scottsdale.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:19 AM

61 posts, read 102,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Hardly.

I'm not sure that you are familiar with Houston at all. For one, you said Barney's NY hasn't even considered Houston. May I point to the River Oaks District development in Houston, where Barney's is rumored to be coming in (along with W Hotel and La Madeleine Hotel). Also, you say Houston has been stagnant in its retail development? Not at all. Ed Hardy just opened, Adidas will open later this year. Ermenegildo Zegna opens in early 2009. (Finally) also in 2009 Valentino, Guess Footwear, Gilly Hicks, Hilfiger Denim, and Frette. Also Adrenalina, Avalon, Fredricks of Hollywood, Sneaker Lab, and Republic of Couture will also open.

Dallas has Northpark Mall and Houston has The Galleria. Dallas has Dallas Galleria and Houston has Memorial City Mall. Dallas has Highland Park Village and Houston has Rice Village. Add to that all of the new developments in Uptown (BLVD Place, which will include a Ritz-Carlton, River Oaks District, etc.).

Get educated.

Dallas is not far ahead of Houston at all.
Rumored is one thing and Barneys actually is coming to Houston is another thing. The expansion of NorthPark gave Dallas a huge difference in retail business. This major expansion has brought to Dallas many stores that Houston doesn't have: Valentino, Hugo Boss, Tod's, Roberto Cavalli, Oscar de la Renta, Barneys New York, Diesel, Custo Barcelona, 7 for all Mankind, Intermix. Highland Park Village just got for Texas the first Carolina Herrera New York boutique (different from the CH). It also is home of Harry Winston, Escada, Luca Luca, Scoop, Loro Piana, Judith Ripka. Galleria Dallas got the first JUST CAVALLI boutique.

Houston has only the Galleria that really counts. Other malls doesn't boast high-end stores like Galleria. Dallas has three major powerhouse shopping centers. W hotel opened in Dallas not long ago. Mandarin Oriental is coming soon. A major Park Lane Project is soon to the finished. With the list just included, how are Houston going to catch up?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,389,751 times
Dallas.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,080,860 times
I think With NYC and places like LA there are a more wide variety of selection and as in NYC there are multiple high end stores LIke LV Burberry etc Like NYC gets everything first fashion and trends start there and werk there way down i have been to dallas and look at how they dressed and with all the high end stuff you would think there fashion would be on point but its really country looking compared to NYC

Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhotanddeadly View Post
Rumored is one thing and Barneys actually is coming to Houston is another thing. The expansion of NorthPark gave Dallas a huge difference in retail business. This major expansion has brought to Dallas many stores that Houston doesn't have: Valentino, Hugo Boss, Tod's, Roberto Cavalli, Oscar de la Renta, Barneys New York, Diesel, Custo Barcelona, 7 for all Mankind, Intermix. Highland Park Village just got for Texas the first Carolina Herrera New York boutique (different from the CH). It also is home of Harry Winston, Escada, Luca Luca, Scoop, Loro Piana, Judith Ripka. Galleria Dallas got the first JUST CAVALLI boutique.
This post looks eerily familiar (like I've seen it somewhere). As far as the expansion, you just named a bunch of stores that Houston has/or is under construction in The Galleria. Houston has Rice Village or River Oaks Shopping District for more upscale shopping as well. Still, with Northpark's expansion, The Galleria is still bigger and really has five department stores (Dillard's, Saks, Neiman's, Nordstrom, and two Macy's).

Quote:
Houston has only the Galleria that really counts. Other malls doesn't boast high-end stores like Galleria. Dallas has three major powerhouse shopping centers. W hotel opened in Dallas not long ago. Mandarin Oriental is coming soon. A major Park Lane Project is soon to the finished. With the list just included, how are Houston going to catch up?
I'd say Memorial City can match up with Galleria Dallas. That area is getting more upscale retail. Also Willowbrook and watch out for The Woodlands Mall. Rumor has it that a Ritz-Carlton is building along the canal there.

The W-Hotel opened in Dallas, but that ghostbar thing is struggling. Also, the Victory Park area that the hotel is in is struggling big time. For one, Mandarin Oriental got canceled. They painted over the sign and only built the parking garage before leaving. Then, high-end retailers are leaving out of the Victory Park area completely. Other retailers are as well. Park Lane Place is soon to be finished? That's nice, but nothing different than West Ave in Houston, or the Houston Pavilions.

Now you spoke of Barney's New York. That department store is rumored to go into this development: River Oaks District (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/deve/houston/index.htm - broken link). As for the Ritz, that is going into BLVD Place (http://www.wulfe.com/boulevardplace.asp - broken link), which is under construction on Phase I now.

So how is Houston going to catch up? Well, catch up to what exactly?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,782,204 times
Quote:
This post looks eerily familiar (like I've seen it somewhere). As far as the expansion, you just named a bunch of stores that Houston has/or is under construction in The Galleria. Houston has Rice Village or River Oaks Shopping District for more upscale shopping as well. Still, with Northpark's expansion, The Galleria is still bigger and really has five department stores (Dillard's, Saks, Neiman's, Nordstrom, and two Macy's).

I'd say Memorial City can match up with Galleria Dallas. That area is getting more upscale retail. Also Willowbrook and watch out for The Woodlands Mall. Rumor has it that a Ritz-Carlton is building along the canal there.

The W-Hotel opened in Dallas, but that ghostbar thing is struggling. Also, the Victory Park area that the hotel is in is struggling big time. For one, Mandarin Oriental got canceled. They painted over the sign and only built the parking garage before leaving. Then, high-end retailers are leaving out of the Victory Park area completely. Other retailers are as well. Park Lane Place is soon to be finished? That's nice, but nothing different than West Ave in Houston, or the Houston Pavilions.

Now you spoke of Barney's New York. That department store is rumored to go into this development: River Oaks District (http://www.olivermcmillan.com/deve/houston/index.htm - broken link). As for the Ritz, that is going into BLVD Place (http://www.wulfe.com/boulevardplace.asp - broken link), which is under construction on Phase I now.

So how is Houston going to catch up? Well, catch up to what exactly?
There is a Barney's in the Houston Galleria. I used to go there all the time.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
There is a Barney's in the Houston Galleria. I used to go there all the time.
That's just a Barney's Co-Op store. I'm talking about a Barney's Flagship Department Store.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,782,204 times
Quote:
That's just a Barney's Co-Op store. I'm talking about a Barney's Flagship Department Store.
oh ok. thanks for clearing that up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City