U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,398,440 times

Advertisements

To Clean_polo: I do not see how those photos would convince me that Miami should be in my top 10-16 coolest cities in the USA. Can you tell me how it should convince me?

It actually is doing the opposite and is making Miami seem kind of lame or not that interesting.

I like Miami's weather, being near tropical beaches, nightlife(I heard the nightlife is overrated though) and trying to develop a nice skyline(even though the skyline still isnt that good and barely decent), but almost everything else about Miami seems a bit lacking.

With Miami's location it has so much potential because it has such great weather and tropical beach location!

Quote:
These seem like the coolest major cities in the USA to me. I like things about all of these cities and think they all have cool things about them. I decided to put a Top 16 since I couldn't narrow it down to a Top 10.

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. San Francisco
4. Seattle
5. Washington DC
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Los Angeles
9. Portland
10. San Diego
11. Denver
12. Houston
13. Dallas
14. Austin
15. Honolulu
16. Charlotte

I think cities like Sacramento, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Saint Louis, El Paso, San Antonio, Orlando, Anchorage, Atlanta, and Baltimore are not nearly as great or cool as the 16 I mentioned above as well as cities I dont like as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,262,107 times
In no particular order:

LA
Chicago
DC
NYC
Boston
Miami
Las Vegas
San Francisco
Philadelphia
San Diego

Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,533,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
To Clean_polo: I do not see how those photos would convince me that Miami should be in my top 10-16 coolest cities in the USA. Can you tell me how it should convince me?

It actually is doing the opposite and is making Miami seem kind of lame or not that interesting.

I like Miami's weather, being near tropical beaches, nightlife(I heard the nightlife is overrated though) and trying to develop a nice skyline(even though the skyline still isnt that good and barely decent), but almost everything else about Miami seems a bit lacking.

With Miami's location it has so much potential because it has such great weather and tropical beach location!
I am with you. Those pictures of Miami actually make me laugh because it is so incredibly lame. There is not enough money to make me even visit there agin, never mind live.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM

4,055 posts, read 4,447,496 times
New York
Chicago
LA
Austin
Boston
New Orleans
DC
Seattle
San Francisco
San Diego

Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,909,469 times
How are those pictures lame though? Wow that just goes to show you how people have such different opinions. What is cool to you guys?

Old 04-17-2011, 12:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 3,346,296 times
If "cool" is defined by being into something first and then having everyone else copy, ie setting trends then it's LA then NYC and then everybody else.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:49 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,262,107 times
It seems that a substantial group of us agree on at least 5:

NYC
Chicago
LA
DC
Boston

A number of us agree on:

San Francisco
San Diego

The last 3 seem to be up for grabs and the leaders are:

NOLA
Austin
Philly
Las Vegas
Miami

Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,909,469 times
I've seen Miami on a lot of people's lists it's just that the lists that Miami aren't on are other cities that I just don't really agree with. Like seriously somebody put Cleveland on a list over Miami, seriously? Cleveland? Everybody has their own opinion though.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:23 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,271,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
This is going to sound super bias, but I don't see how a city like Miami doesn't make your list ANYWHERE? I really feel like Miami just doesn't get the shine it deserves. I mean everybody has their definition of "cool" but let me take you on a stroll down Collins Avenue.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/M...fl-2XC42tl.jpg

And thats not even including the City of Miami or the rest of South Florida. Just a few pics I felt like posting. But seriously I feel like Miami is UNDERRATED sometimes. Miami not being included in a coolest cities list? C'mon now...
I've never been to Miami so I have no problem with it, but based on those pictures you posted, of the women/cars/etc, I can see why people's perception of it would be negative. A lot of those pictures seem about materialism and being fake. If those pictures told me anything about Miami I would say it's all about outward appearances...a lot of people don't get down with that. Doesn't necessarily make it cool or un-cool, but all the negative Miami comments don't surprise me.

Just a thought.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,336,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
1 Charlotte NC
2 Austin TX
3 Charleston SC
4 Savannah GA
5 Lexington KY
6 Denver CO
7 Nashville TN
8 St Louis MN
9 Honolulu HI
10 Omaha NE
How is Lexington cool? There is nothing here and the people are among the most provincial and closed minded you'll ever meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City