U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM

3,456 posts, read 5,605,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Perhaps as the crow flies, yes. However as the person drives, Cocoa Beach is 59.6 miles from Orlando. So until you grow wings....

Also, aren't we talking about the city here? I know we often include the suburbs to show characteristics of the overall metro such as showing economic power (often major companies are located outside the heart of the city) or ethnic enclaves, but using various parts of the metro to claim proximity to the beach is a first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not sure if it is a first, but... it has been done...such as showing how close SF is to SJ, or DC to Baltimore, or Dallas to Ft Worth, or Tampa to Orlando by using the edge borders of the city etc... Sure this will work if you have a friend who lives at one end, and you live at the other, but for all other purposes...and to have a sense of standards, we should just keep it to center to center. I think somewhere like Philly to NYC is good for something like this b/c of the high speed trains though.
Yeah if we're taking mileage estimates from the CBD then yes you guys are correct. However that makes little sense in sunbelt cities like Orlando and Tampa where the CBD population is under a few thousand. Anyways, since we're making comparisons, somebody living in DT Tampa would be able to get to the nearest beach 20 minutes faster than their DT Orlando counterpart. If you live on the east side of Orlando (city proper not metro), that time advantage all but disappears. So while I concede to Tampa being the coastal metro, it is not a direct beach access city like Miami where the city sits directly across from the closest beach. DT Tampa and Orlando folks both have to hop in the car and drive 40+ minutes to the nearest beach.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 06-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 12:55 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,797,133 times
Quote:
yes Savannah ... much like Louisville, very romantic (at least in your mind) or after you read midnight in the garden of good and evil, until you drive into the city and see a gigantic KFC sign. Then you stop somewhere and find a bunch of chain restaurants. What is more romantic, ordering a nice steak and catching a broadway show followed by a stroll through central park in new york, or going and having dinner with paula dean smithfield ham covered in red gravy with a side of golden flake chips. I can imagine now, me putting a fork full of the freshest smithfield ham in my girls mouth, and feeding her some golden flake dill pickle chips while she bites off the top of a bud light with her teeth. Fully deserving place, considering it is a "coolest cities"...and of course, it should rank right there with nyc/philly and above st louis and new orleans.

YouTube - ‪Paula Deen - Smithfield Ham Commercial - Food Network‬‏
You are definately in the minority here. Savannah tourism is booming, and part of it is a universal love of Paula.

BTW, she's laughing all the way to the bank - big time.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:05 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,148,117 times
Quote:
Not sure if it is a first, but... it has been done...such as showing how close SF is to SJ, or DC to Baltimore, or Dallas to Ft Worth, or Tampa to Orlando by using the edge borders of the city etc... Sure this will work if you have a friend who lives at one end, and you live at the other, but for all other purposes...and to have a sense of standards, we should just keep it to center to center. I think somewhere like Philly to NYC is good for something like this b/c of the high speed trains though.
That's true...but even then I think the comparisons are different. Those proximity comparisons are talking about how close the metros are to one another, not suggesting the metro is able to enjoy a specific amenity (like a beach) because some section of the metro is near it.

I do agree with you that in cases like this, we need to keep it center-to-center. Sure, one side of the metro is only 35 miles away from the beach, but doesn't that make the other side of the metro 85 miles away from the beach? Just assuming population is equally distributed throughout N/S/E/W, that would mean 50% live 60 miles away, 25% live 35 miles away, and another 25% live 85 miles away...I just feel like this is going to lead to odd claims if we go down this road. Before we know it Angelenos will claim they can shop on Rodeo Dr while snowboarding in the Pacific Ocean.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM

14,008 posts, read 22,022,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's true...but even then I think the comparisons are different. Those proximity comparisons are talking about how close the metros are to one another, not suggesting the metro is able to enjoy a specific amenity (like a beach) because some section of the metro is near it.

I do agree with you that in cases like this, we need to keep it center-to-center. Sure, one side of the metro is only 35 miles away from the beach, but doesn't that make the other side of the metro 85 miles away from the beach? Just assuming population is equally distributed throughout N/S/E/W, that would mean 50% live 60 miles away, 25% live 35 miles away, and another 25% live 85 miles away...I just feel like this is going to lead to odd claims if we go down this road. Before we know it Angelenos will claim they can shop on Rodeo Dr while snowboarding in the Pacific Ocean.
Good point. Cocoa Beach(Orlando's closest beach) is something like 50mins away.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:02 PM

21,973 posts, read 30,914,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Good point. Cocoa Beach(Orlando's closest beach) is something like 50mins away.

by this criteria Philly would be a beach town (though with close access I dont think anyone thinks of Philly as a beach town), nearest beach is roughly that timeframe

Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:

Well if the new HSR line ever gets built Center City to Midtown in 32 minutes would be very sweet; today the Acela takes 60 minutes because it still makes two to three stops in between

Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 PM

1,681 posts, read 3,060,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
by this criteria Philly would be a beach town (though with close access I dont think anyone thinks of Philly as a beach town), nearest beach is roughly that timeframe
In addition New York City and Boston each have a beach closer than that as well so I guess they "count" as beach towns as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
In addition New York City and Boston each have a beach closer than that as well so I guess they "count" as beach towns as well.

NYC and Boston are both far closer (basically right on the Ocean for NYC). NYC actually has many beaches in the city itself; Boston may even as well.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM

57 posts, read 54,306 times
Seattle
Madison
Portland
Minneapolis
Chicago
Boston
NYC
San Francisco
Denver
Santa Fe

**Not in order

Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 PM

4,536 posts, read 7,183,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Cleveland has a beach right in the city. So it, too, is a beach town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City