U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 PM

7 posts, read 20,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
The city of Detroit, hands down.

I was born there and raised in the suburbs. The suburbs are great, at least the ones I lived in. But the city of Detroit is such a dangerous ghetto. There are so many homes burned down, criminals all around, drugs, etc. You can drive down a residential street and every third house is half burned to the ground. It's awful.

(Plus it's over 80 percent black in population so it's especially not a safe city for us white folks to be in, unless we are going to a hockey game or something downtown. Then you have to hurry back to the freeway and hope your car doesn't break down getting out of the city!)
I am a white person but I don't think its appropriate to pinpoint the problems in your city to "blacks". It's not "black" people that are the problem. It's people in general that are the problem. Believe me, if an area has "people" around that are all doing drugs, a majority of them are involved in gangs, etc., they will all be acting the same way regardless if they are black or white. For some reason though, when a neighborhood is full of crime but most of the residents are white people, no one seems to notice as much and it is usually just referred to as the "poor" section. At least black people speak the American language and don't make all kinds of demands on the government which is more than I can say for some other races. Like I said, I am white, my husband is white, and so on but I can tell you one thing. If a black person is your friend, they are your true friend and I can't say that I've had or seen a similar experience with white people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:27 AM

31,262 posts, read 57,446,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tviz25 View Post
I didn't know anything interesting happened in Erie.
Well, one night, my friends and I were at the beach, and ... Hmmm. Well, it was interesting at the time!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:40 AM

17 posts, read 59,677 times
uk!! just cant imagine living there

Old 07-11-2007, 03:09 PM

7 posts, read 20,824 times
The state that used to be California but is now Mexifornia.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 PM

76 posts, read 193,590 times
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Any place really cold.
Anywhere that there's no beach near by.
Any place that has nothing to do but hunt & fish.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:45 PM

606 posts, read 2,736,710 times
miami, horrible. I think good cities would be Detroit, New York. I like those cities they have alot going on.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:03 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 171,691 times
Iraq :-)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 171,691 times
Default Da Yoopers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj31young View Post
Minnesota
the Upper Peninsula, Michigan... they are not calle Michiganders up there... they're da Yoopers.

Have any ya'll seen da movie "Escanaba in da moonlight?"

Last edited by VA Lover; 07-17-2007 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: I know of not

Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM

47 posts, read 135,457 times
Red face Agreed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
For me personally, any place that doesn't have a 4-season climate, and an affrdable cost of living.
I would have to agree with you on that..... for people who didn't grow up around the "changes" of a season... the Spring smell in the air... the snow as it covered everything only to be reborn again.... no one would understand the beauty of seasons if they were not brought into it. Maybe when I'm old & gray FL will look great....but for now I enjoy the challenge of keeping warm on those frosty cold nights... the thrill of finding a "cool" spot on a hot summer's night... sitting under a multi-colored tree on a blanket while enjoying the breath taking views .... I wouldn't want to deal with bugs as big as birds... and a place where grass doesn't grow (the color brown does not make it grass). I can't imagine a X-Mas without snow...and a "real" X-Mas tree. Going through Haunted houses and snuggling around a bonfire during a cool crisp fall evening..... that is the life I enjoy. I wouldn't want it any other way.... some times the good more then makes up for the bad Changes of seasons to me is rebirthing and sheding old skin for new. A constant climate with such little change would have me bored

Old 07-17-2007, 03:40 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,247,038 times
The worst place in the country to me is by far South Miami-Dade County, Fl. The economy is totally dead, the poverty sinks down to third world status, it has a depressing third world feel, the schools are full of rodents (And half of the HS students drop out),there is nothing in the way of shopping, the ride to civilization is depressing,long, and congested, the crime is out of control, the language barrier combined with the high crime rate creates a sense of mania for Americans living there, and it seriously is just depressing. Worst place in the country, by far. It's not even cheap.

Newburgh, NY was really a craphole too. One of the worst towns I have ever seen.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-17-2007 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City