U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,444,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
When NY starting to dominate the scene again from 96-99, I don't remember NY talking about pimps, drugs, money, and ho's much. It was the south that basically continued on with that. But NY had Talib, Pharoh Monch, Mos Def, Sadat X, DMX, Nas, and Jay-Z make music like it was pre-1993. Now there were some in NY that continued that and it was bad boy.
Fu-La-La-La!! The Fugees did it the right way though.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
What that ever came out of Cincinnati is known nationally?

Hi-Tek is the only one and hes not even a rapper, hes a producer. Those things you mentioned are just things that he produced, that has nothing to do with helping Cincinnatis hip hop/rap scene. I could name a few producers/djs from Cleveland that have more influence than he does. Im not discrediting him, Im just saying. Most people actually think Hi-Tek is from NYC anyways. All Im saying is that Cleveland should be ahead of Cincinnati, thats obvious and even you should be able to admit that. Bone Thugs n Harmony alone have sold near 50 million Internationally, thats more than every rapper in Cincinnati combined. Czar Nok barely had one hit and are not known nationally. 216 alone are ahead of Czar Nok. Im not even trying to discredit Cincinnati either, Im just saying that Cleveland is ahead of Cincinnati in it, and it is. Thats a fact.

Im here to talk about cities. I dont really have time for this (actually I do today). I just dont understand how that guy could put Cincinnati and Cleveland as a tie when there hasnt even been anything mainstream with influence that ever came out of Cincinnati. As far as rap, Cincinnati is virtually unknown, thats not disrespect, its the truth.
first off, if you don't think a producer can have an enormous impact on hip hop, you don't have a clue. not a one.

to make a hip-hop song, you need a producer. bad producers make bad songs and ruin good ones. good producers make good songs and save bad ones. hi tek is a great dj/producer.

WHAT dj in cleveland has the type of clout, clientele, and resume as hi tek? NOBODY. stop lying.

hi tek is VERY much a part of the hip hop scene. do you listen to rap at all??

known nationally? people know talib and mos, and they know who crafted their classics. i don't care about the radio spins, i care about classic material, and hi tek has three under his belt. eternal is the only classic to have ties to cleveland.

they think he's from nyc because all them nyc cats wanna work with him, and he can make that sound come alive, with a cincinnati touch.

who the hell is 216, and how are they ahead of czar nok?

scribble jam? the biggest hip hop festival in america? you should go.

bone is huge, but how many more bad albums can they drop? krayzie is the only one who's respectable at this point. if bizzy had his head right for more than a few seconds, maybe they could get it together...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:17 AM

536 posts, read 1,905,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
first off, if you don't think a producer can have an enormous impact on hip hop, you don't have a clue. not a one.
props on that one....

I don't remember if I posted this before, I probably did but either way...

Detroit!

WHY?

2 words

J Dilla! (RIP)

Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
Hillside,

Calm down. All Im saying is that Cleveland should be ahead of Cincinnati. Do you agree with that or not?

Im not saying Cincinnati has absolutely no influence at all, it does, but Hi-Tek is the really only known person involved with hip hop at all from Cincinnati, and most probably dont even know hes from there. Theres no famous rappers or rapping style from there. There are many respected DJs and producers from Cleveland. I didnt say any were as big as Hi-Tek but a few together do have a lot of influence. Off the top I can name DJ Ice, Kickdrums, Dj E-V, Scratchmaster L, Mick Boogie, theres many more. Creepin on ah come up, Eternal, Art Of War, and Resurrection are all considered classics. Bone Thugs also have many underground CDs and songs that are considered classics as well. The last I heard, Flesh got out of prison and they are signed with Swizz Beats to make a very big comeback album (and you can bet theyll be mentioning Cleveland 1000 times on it). The Ohio hip hop awards are also in Cleveland along with many other events. Cleveland is more of a hip hop city than Cincinnati and has had much more influence on hip hop than Cincinnati. Thats all I was saying.

I have to admit that Im not really interested in anything new because most types of music are garbage now, especially rap. I was in my teens in the mid 90s, I remember what good rap and talent sounds like and there is hardly anything left today.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 11-21-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM

1,071 posts, read 3,937,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Hillside,

Calm down. All Im saying is that Cleveland should be ahead of Cincinnati. Do you agree with that or not?

Im not saying Cincinnati has absolutely no influence at all, it does, but Hi-Tek is the really only known person involved with hip hop at all from Cincinnati, and most probably dont even know hes from there. Theres no famous rappers or rapping style from there. There are many respected DJs and producers from Cleveland. I didnt say any were as big as Hi-Tek but a few together do have a lot of influence. Off the top I can name DJ Ice, Kickdrums, Dj E-V, Scratchmaster L, Mick Boogie, theres many more. Creepin on ah come up, Eternal, Art Of War, and Resurrection are all considered classics. Bone Thugs also have many underground CDs and songs that are considered classics as well. The last I heard, Flesh got out of prison and they are signed with Swizz Beats to make a very big comeback album (and you can bet theyll be mentioning Cleveland 1000 times on it). The Ohio hip hop awards are also in Cleveland along with many other events. Cleveland is more of a hip hop city than Cincinnati and has had much more influence on hip hop than Cincinnati. Thats all I was saying.

I have to admit that Im not really interested in anything new because most types of music are garbage now, especially rap. I was in my teens in the mid 90s, I remember what good rap and talent sounds like and there is hardly anything left today.
right now, today, no i don't agree that cleveland is ahead of cincinnati. in the 90's when rap was good and bone was poppin', yea. but right now, we have a dj/producer that's helping aspiring talent in cleveland get recognition, and has combined with other groundbreaking artists (talib, mos, common, nas, dilla, mood, busta) to make more lasting contributions in the last ten years than cleveland has. that's all i'm saying. cleveland is sorta in limbo right now. the big artists are struggling, the dj's are doing well, but the underground and on-the-cusp isn't getting the kind of support from guys within the city with influence. cleveland could get real big if ray cash gets some support locally and from his label and chip gets signed. i really hope both happen; i like both of them.

i've got art of war, and it's good for a double disc, but not classic IMO. eternal for sure, resurrection was good, creepin is an EP but still classic, so that's 2 in my book.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
This is for hip hop in general, now and historically. Based on the rappers and the rap influence from the city/area, along with the prevelance of hip hop/rap music in the city, mainstream and underground, and the lifestyle:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. Atlanta
4. Chicago
5. Houston
6. SF/Oakland
7. Detroit
8. New Orleans
9. Philly
10. Cleveland

11. St. Louis
12. Memphis
13. Miami
14. DC
15. Baltimore

I know this is from wikipedia, but I feel its a pretty good article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_hip_hop
Here is the hip hop map (although I dont agree with all of it): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:H...ed_States2.png

Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,046,201 times
This is kind of subjective due to my personal tastes but:

Top Cities for Quality Hip Hop
1. Chicago (Thanks to Kanye West & Common)
2. Detroit (Thanks to Eminem, Proof, Slum Village)
3. Atlanta (Even though they have alot of bad artists, Outkast, Cee-Lo, Rehab, & Ludacris helped it's rating)
3. New York (Tie) (Thanks to Nas, Talib Kweli, The Fugees, and Biggie)
4. New Orleans (Thanks to Lil Wayne & Juvenile)
5. L.A. (Thanks to 2-Pac, will I am, N.W.A, Ice Cube, & Cypress Hill)
6. Philadelphia
6. Memphis (Tie)
7. St. Louis
8. Cleveland (Mostly due to Bone Thugs N Harmony)
9. Miami
10. Houston

Last edited by diablo234; 11-22-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 12,700,795 times
Um, anyone that says NY isn't #1 for the all-time hip hop is out of their minds. It was NY that was the birthplace of it.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,779,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

3. Atlanta (Even though they have alot of bad artists, Outkast, Cee-Lo, Rehab, & Ludacris helped it's rating)
6. Philadelphia
6. Memphis (Tie)
7. St. Louis
9. Miami
10. Houston
Kanye West is not hip hop anymore

Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 AM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

6. Philadelphia
6. Memphis (Tie)
7. St. Louis
9. Miami
10. Houston
Personal tastes indeed. Houston who gives you Scarface (who is better than any rapper from St. Louis), Geto Boyz, South Park Coalition and a huge underground scene is under the likes of Miami, St. Louis (especially), Memphis, and New Orleans? Atlanta and Detroit above New York and Los Angeles? I know New Orleans has had more success but there is far more quality in the underground scene in Houston than about half of the cities you named.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or