U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,890,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifeeldope View Post
Philly deserves a higher spot on the list if anything...personally i think higher than Houston(i dont get why thats so high on anyones list, UGK doesnt do ast much anymore and 2005 is a thing of the past)...and Minneapolis should be mentioned because there underground scene is very strong , infact stronger then a lot of the big cities right now, and thats were the best hip hop is, underground...i mean rhymesayers is doing very well right now (atmosphere, brother ali, p.o.s)
Were not talking the best RECENT hip hop, were talking the city that has produced the best hip hop music overall. Houston has its mainstream, and nationally known underground scene.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM

18,266 posts, read 26,031,837 times
UGK isn't even from Houston anyway.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,958 posts, read 5,520,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Who said anything about black people? Hip hop knows no color. There are tons of great white rappers.
If hip hop knows no color then why did Benzino get all bent out of shape when Eminem suddenly had some success and make the Source magazine bash him for years? It aims to know no color, and in many cases it succeeds, but not all the time.

And who are these "tons of great white rappers?" Eminem is GREAT, and there's a handful of other decent ones, but who else are you giving that much credit to? House of Pain was the only other quality one that comes to my mind.

Quote:
Philly is as equally important as NYC in setting the foundation of hip hop.
That's a ridiculous claim. NYC is unmatched in importance for setting the foundation of hip hop. It's no contest. L.A. comes in second once the foundation was laid, but NY's contribution to the past is unparalelled.

Quote:
Philly has done MUCH more than the Bay Area...
Digital Underground, 2pac, Too Short, E-40, Spice 1, Rappin' 4-Tay, Dre Dog/Andre Nickatina, E-A-Ski, San Quinn, JT The Bigga Figga (responsible for launching The Game's career and resurrecting Daz's), Mac Dre, Mac Mall, Cougnut & IMP, RBL Posse, Cellski, Mixmaster Mike (Beastie Boys DJ), DJ Qbert, DJ Shortkut, Messy Marv, The Luniz ("5 On It"), Master P (launched his career in Richmond, CA), Silkk The Shocker, C-Murder, Mistah FAB, The Team, The Federation, The Jacka, Mob Figaz, Frontline, 11-5, UDI, Totally Insane, Dru Down, the entire Hyphy Movement, Turf Talk, B-Legit, Heiroglyphics, Saafir, Whoridas, Paris, Ray Luv, Oaktown's 3-5-7, MC Hammer, Celly Cel, Conscious Daughters, Richie Rich, etc....There's no shortage of contributions coming out the Bay!

If you're talking R&B there's En Vogue, Keyshia Cole, Tony! Toni! Tone!, etc. Not taking anything away from Philly b/c it's definitely an important contributor, but I think the Bay doesn't get recognized for many of its contributions and people may not realize how much it actually has contributed. If Philly has made MUCH MORE than that to hip hop, then I'm unaware.

And Kurupt is a bit of a stretch for Philly to claim. He grew up there and has strong ties to there, but his career has always been in LA and he is a prolific West Coast rapper. His brother Roscoe could definitely be claimed by Philly though.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM

52,914 posts, read 76,005,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
If hip hop knows no color then why did Benzino get all bent out of shape when Eminem suddenly had some success and make the Source magazine bash him for years? It aims to know no color, and in many cases it succeeds, but not all the time.

And who are these "tons of great white rappers?" Eminem is GREAT, and there's a handful of other decent ones, but who else are you giving that much credit to? House of Pain was the only other quality one that comes to my mind.

That's a ridiculous claim. NYC is unmatched in importance for setting the foundation of hip hop. It's no contest. L.A. comes in second once the foundation was laid, but NY's contribution to the past is unparalelled.

Digital Underground, 2pac, Too Short, E-40, Spice 1, Rappin' 4-Tay, Dre Dog/Andre Nickatina, E-A-Ski, San Quinn, JT The Bigga Figga (responsible for launching The Game's career and resurrecting Daz's), Mac Dre, Mac Mall, Cougnut & IMP, RBL Posse, Cellski, Mixmaster Mike (Beastie Boys DJ), DJ Qbert, DJ Shortkut, Messy Marv, The Luniz ("5 On It"), Master P (launched his career in Richmond, CA), Silkk The Shocker, C-Murder, Mistah FAB, The Team, The Federation, The Jacka, Mob Figaz, Frontline, 11-5, UDI, Totally Insane, Dru Down, the entire Hyphy Movement, Turf Talk, B-Legit, Heiroglyphics, Saafir, Whoridas, Paris, Ray Luv, Oaktown's 3-5-7, MC Hammer, Celly Cel, Conscious Daughters, Richie Rich, etc....There's no shortage of contributions coming out the Bay!

If you're talking R&B there's En Vogue, Keyshia Cole, Tony! Toni! Tone!, etc. Not taking anything away from Philly b/c it's definitely an important contributor, but I think the Bay doesn't get recognized for many of its contributions and people may not realize how much it actually has contributed. If Philly has made MUCH MORE than that to hip hop, then I'm unaware.

And Kurupt is a bit of a stretch for Philly to claim. He grew up there and has strong ties to there, but his career has always been in LA and he is a prolific West Coast rapper. His brother Roscoe could definitely be claimed by Philly though.
As far as White rappers, 3rd Base, Bubba Sparks and Paul Wall are probably the other big names I can think of. There are some guys that do good locally like say Haystack from the Bay or ICP from Detroit, if I want to stretch it a bit. In Canada, I'm kind of close to the scene there and they have some White rappers like Bishop Brigante and some others that are good there. I check out the scene from there here:FLOW 93.5

HAPPY NEW YEAR CANADA! - HIPHOPCANADA.COM

Canadian hip hop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They got some good acts I like in Point Blank, Choclair and of course Kardinal Offishall. Then you have Malicious, some acts from Nova Scotia, Rochester, k-os, K'naan, Saukrates, Promise, the Rascalz and many more.....

Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,272,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post

And who are these "tons of great white rappers?" Eminem is GREAT, and there's a handful of other decent ones, but who else are you giving that much credit to?
Aesop Rock
Cage
The Alchemist
Brother Ali (albino)
Slug
Apathy
Classified
Copywrite
RA The Rugged Man
7L & Esoteric
Remedy
Asher Roth
Vinnie Paz
Edan
El-P
Eyedea & Abilities
Sage Francis
Qwel

Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
you forgot Jedi Mind Tricks

but i think CLE44's list is pretty decent
Jedi isn't close to mainstream, fortunately.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 PM

52,914 posts, read 76,005,832 times
Quote:
Aesop Rock
Cage
The Alchemist
Brother Ali (albino)
Slug
Apathy
Classified
Copywrite
RA The Rugged Man
7L & Esoteric
Remedy
Asher Roth
Vinnie Paz
Edan
El-P
Eyedea & Abilities
Sage Francis
Qwel

True, true. How could I forget many of those artists? Some of them were on the Rawkus label too.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:51 PM

Well most of them aren't as well known as Bubba Sparxxx and Paul Wall. Actually none of them.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,494,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Sounds like somebody is very biased...

Especially if you think that way about the Bay Area. Which just so happens to have contributed more to hip hop more than almost any other area in the country. Just to name a few: Tupac, E-40, Mac Dre, Keak Da Sneak, Too Short, Yukmouth, Baby Bash, MC Hammer, The Pack, Shock G, Spice I...

Not to mention one of the largest (and most popular) underground scenes in the country. Philly is in the right place on my list. Its not getting past the ones above it.
Tupac may have lived in the Bay, but his music is all LA style and where he called home.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM

...Even though he was from Baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or