U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 03:05 PM

341 posts, read 1,199,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
That wouldve been crazy..technically he couldve but as far as music goes I think California meant alot more to him..plus he had Suge Knight telling him how to act/what to do.
No offense to the Pac fans, but IMO he was kind of a follower. Pac was a great lyricist, but he was also a great actor in every sense of the word. I think in his head he had an ongoing conflict between whether or not to follow his motherís path and be revolutionary or just be like everybody else. Iím sure if he wouldnít have gotten killed, eventually he would have matured into not just a rapper but a powerful political voice as well. He just hadn't gotten secure within himself to leave all the ghetto BS alone and become that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston, Miami, Chicago, and the Bay area should all be ahead of ATL. I hope that list wasn't based on suBstance, because ATL hasn't really put out too much good mainstream music. However, their underground scene is hot.
Unbeknownst to many outside Atlanta and even most locals, Atlanta has an underground scene that is crazy right now. And if you listen to it, it has hints of the Atlanta sound, but itís in a category all it own. Artists like Lucky Charmz, B.O.B, Drop Bombz, and (Atlantas version of the Beastie Boys) all have a very unique sound unlike anything on the radio. There are plenty of more; I just canít name them right now. Iím telling you, the underground scene is really bubbling here right now. As far as mainstream Atlanta does put out a lot of garbage like Shawty Lo, Soulja Boy ( although I respect Soulja's hustle, and I even like his new song "Turn my swag on"- it sounds good when your messed up in the club) but there are also allot of mainstream artists that put out quality music that are from Atlamta- Ludacris consistently drops good LP's, TI is in the top 5 in the country right now IMO, Jeezy- not known for being a lyricist, but his last album, The Recession, was one of the best period last year from anybody, anywhere. And lastly how yall gonna forget that the best lyricist in the game right now Andre 3000 aka Mr. 3 stacks is from Atlanta?????? I donít care he has not put out a solo album yet (its coming), his body of work on all the Outkast albums and doing features on other people's songs should attest to his ability. Andre 3000 is the GOAT; I donít car what anyone says. Not to mention he is probably one of the coolest, most down to earth celebrities you could ever meet. Not just in music but any genre of entertainment for that matter

Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM

And I like the scene in Philly, its just that in Philly the artists never get any shine dut to the fact that they get raped and screwed over by people from other cities. Example- Gillie the Kid and Major Figgaz- got raped and messed over by Cash Money records out of New Orleans. State Property- got raped and messed over by Jay-Z and Def Jam records out of NYC. Like c'mom, I have been waiting for a Peedi Crack album since I was in high school, but it will never happen because his contract is being pushed around like the drunk girl at a frat party. I like Chicago's underground scene too, it's just the artists dont really rep for the city like that. Example- Common- Common left Chicago years ago, he lives in between NYC and LA now. Kanye West- Kanye isnt even from Chciago, actually he is from Atlanta. Besides that he lives in LA now too. Lupe Fiasco- I like the kid but sometimes I think he drops acid or something before he gets in the booth, reall nice on the mic but sometimes a little too out there for me.

And the other underground artists in Chicago like Bump J, Valkill, Rhymefest have to much of that blue collar Chicago attitude in them to want to strive to be anything more than a local rap star

Old 02-10-2009, 03:37 PM

18,225 posts, read 25,920,077 times
Quote:
The Recession, was one of the best period last year from anybody, anywhere.
Jeezy didn't talk about anything on the Recession. He mentioned events but had nothing to add on to it. It, like most albums in the mainstream, was mediocre.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM

3,626 posts, read 8,395,085 times
Quote:
Houston, Miami, Chicago, and the Bay area should all be ahead of ATL. I hope that list wasn't based on suBstance, because ATL hasn't really put out too much good mainstream music. However, their underground scene is hot.
ATL indeed has some very bad artist, but for every bad artist in ATL you name I bet you I can counter it with at least decent artist that once represented Atlanta.

Seriously, that list was simply made from the comments and list of all the people who posted on this thread personally I feel New York is the only legit city to have a place on any list- I mean they created HIP HOP- I don't care what other movement came after- NY held the title for 20-25+ years and no other city has produced the amount of talent, substance, or style more than NY. Really- Every other city is tied for second unless Atlanta totally kills HIP HOP then they deserve the title of #2

Last edited by noid_1985; 02-10-2009 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,800,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Jeezy didn't talk about anything on the Recession. He mentioned events but had nothing to add on to it. It, like most albums in the mainstream, was mediocre.
Yeah, I wasn't really feeling the whole "My President Black" or "Put on". I mean they are good songs, but nothing terrific. You can't take these rating and CD sales today seriously, I mean Lil Wayne sold 1 million albums in a WEEK. I'll give it to T.I though, his album was pretty good. I like T.I vs. T.I.P better though. Ludacris is falling off to me.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM

52,671 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Syracuse, NY(Ha Ha.....Seriously, don't sleep(Riiiight))
Seth Marcel CDs CD indie hip hop rap music discography biography

https://www.betarecords.com/firstborn.da.newborn.prince

Deadwate CD Dinnertime Red Brick Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Seth Marcel Red Brick Records Wreck Files Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Herizon CD Expand Your Herizon Donya Red Brick Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Taj and Un Kasa The Senate CD CDs Red Brick Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Taj and Un Kasa The Senate CD CDs Red Brick Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Knowledge Bey CD CDs L4L Hitman Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Knowledge Bey CD CDs L4L Hitman Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

Jus One CD There Can Only Be One Able Al's Sound Shop Syracuse NY Music

Jus One Real Rap CD mp3 Able Al's Sound Shop Syracuse NY Music

Ivan The Great CD CDs L4L Blue Diamond Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

INH Ladies First Mixtape DJ Big Hype Able Al Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

DooWittle CD CDs Red Brick Records Syracuse NY hip hop rap music

BREAK BEATS BREAKBEATS DJ VINYL Red Brick Records Syracuse NY

DJ DJs Dudley CD CDs discography Able Al's Sound Shop Syracuse NY Music

Sound Shop Able Al Syracuse NY CD Music Bands

MySpace.com - Rollock Studio - 30 - Male - SYRACUSE, New York - www.myspace.com/rollockstudio

YouTube - C.U.S.E DVD VOL.2 INTRO (Just follow some of the videos on the right)

Old 02-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
ATL is indeed has some very bad artist, but for every bad artist in ATL you name I bet you I can counter it with an at least decent artist that once represented Atlanta.

Seriously, that list was simply made from the comments and list of all the people who posted on this thread personally I feel New York is the only legit city to have a place on any list- I mean they created HIP HOP- I don't care what other movement came after- NY held the title for 20-25+ years and no other city has produced the amount of talent, substance, or style more than NY. Really- Every other city is tied for second unless Atlanta totally kills HIP HOP then they deserve the title of #2
Atlanta would be good if they just stopped giving away so many record deals to all this talentless people. Make them work for it and not just find random people off myspace and youtube. Their is lots of good music coming out of ATL all the time, but you won't hear it on the radios or TV. Houston probably has one of the most recognized underground scenes in the country, but many people wouldn't know that. The difference between HOU and ATL is that rappers in HOU want to remain unknown and underground without all the publicity and mainstream crap, while ATL puts it out there. If Houston did, we'd probably be worse than ATL.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:23 PM

3,626 posts, read 8,395,085 times
Quote:
Atlanta would be good if they just stopped giving away so many record deals to all this talentless people. Make them work for it and not just find random people off myspace and youtube. Their is lots of good music coming out of ATL all the time, but you won't hear it on the radios or TV. Houston probably has one of the most recognized underground scenes in the country, but many people wouldn't know that. The difference between HOU and ATL is that rappers in HOU want to remain unknown and underground without all the publicity and mainstream crap, while ATL puts it out there. If Houston did, we'd probably be worse than ATL.
Same here in Chicago- we have a large underground scene, but most are unknown and want to remain unknown because they talk about things that are relevant in the area. I saw someone on here mention Bump J (an artist from Chicago) who is very popular in Chicago, but unknown across the country because his style doesn't compliment what's popular today....Right now mainstream Atlanta music is status quo- If you can't snap or dance to it then it doesn't get radio play....

Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:

You act like they have a choice?? Did it ever occur to you that old white men in big leather chairs with cigars in their mouths decide who gets signed and whose album gets the money to promote it and which ones dont??? I have friends here in the music industry and they complain all the time that they cant get signed and/or cant get promotion because they cant and/ or wont conform to what the record label wants them to sound like. And if Houston was trying to stay Underground why were you all in the spotlight so heavy a few years ago??? You all gave it up not because the rappers from Houston decided "hey lets go underground", it was becasue on one was buying your records. C'mon all starving artists of any genre say the mainstream is wack until they get their 15 mimnutes in the spotlight!! And lastly, allot of these dudes in Atlanta is just about money, the wack rap artists here are well aware of the fact that they are wack. But at the same time if they can go in the booth and put out some BS, and have people still download ringtones or buy the records, they are going to keep putting out wack music to make money!! And as a business man myself, how could you blame them????? If you think that the Atlanta music is wack then STOP BUYING IT!!!!! Trust me if people stop buying Soulja Boy's albums, then you wont have to deal with it anymore because his label will drop him!!!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
You act like they have a choice?? Did it ever occur to you that old white men in big leather chairs with cigars in their mouths decide who gets signed and whose album gets the money to promote it and which ones dont??? I have friends here in the music industry and they complain all the time that they cant get signed and/or cant get promotion because they cant and/ or wont conform to what the record label wants them to sound like. And if Houston was trying to stay Underground why were you all in the spotlight so heavy a few years ago??? You all gave it up not because the rappers from Houston decided "hey lets go underground", it was becasue on one was buying your records. C'mon all starving artists of any genre say the mainstream is wack until they get their 15 mimnutes in the spotlight!! And lastly, allot of these dudes in Atlanta is just about money, the wack rap artists here are well aware of the fact that they are wack. But at the same time if they can go in the booth and put out some BS, and have people still download ringtones or buy the records, they are going to keep putting out wack music to make money!! And as a business man myself, how could you blame them????? If you think that the Atlanta music is wack then STOP BUYING IT!!!!! Trust me if people stop buying Soulja Boy's albums, then you wont have to deal with it anymore because his label will drop him!!!
You can't even compare the amount of people who have came out of ATL recently with the people from Houston. You guys have new people coming out with a song literally EVERYDAY. Houston has much more talent besides UGK, SLIM THUG, LIL FLIP, PAUL WALL, MIKE JONES,ETC

Your telling the wrong person to stop buying those albums, I don't buy CDS. Houston has never been in the spotlight as much as ATL, even when Geto Boys were around, it still wasn't this bad. Scarface has always been consistent with his music, than you have artist like Z-ro or Trae or Devin the Dude who could've went mainstream and still can, but choose not to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or