U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963

Advertisements

Oakland is the pioneers of cop hating music? I can hear the rumblings coming from Southern California. Point being that this is not the Bay Area's style and it never was. LA was the one that brought in the controversial type of hip hop from NWA to gangsta rap. The Bay was more laid back and influenced Houston big time.

 
Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oakland is the pioneers of cop hating music? I can hear the rumblings coming from Southern California. Point being that this is not the Bay Area's style and it never was. LA was the one that brought in the controversial type of hip hop from NWA to gangsta rap. The Bay was more laid back and influenced Houston big time.
The Bay area did not influence Houston that much.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The Bay area did not influence Houston that much.
Oh trust me, it did. If you ask most old school heads, they will tell you this. Houston's hustle was influenced by the Bay especially how to sell their music. The production and lyrics was influenced by the Bay but Houston added a little Southern flair to it. Both areas acknowledge this and this is why Houston and the Bay does many collaborations. Bay Area rappers are always in Houston and Houston rappers are always in the Bay Area. Fans of both region know each other rappers. Houston had a connection with the Bay while Dallas had a connection with SoCal. UGK shouted out B-Legit's (from the Bay) name on Murder back in 1996.

The only thing that Houston has that did not get it's influence from the Bay IMO is Screw.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Reputation: 7243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh trust me, it did. If you ask most old school heads, they will tell you this. Houston's hustle was influenced by the Bay especially how to sell their music. The production and lyrics was influenced by the Bay but Houston added a little Southern flair to it. Both areas acknowledge this and this is why Houston and the Bay does many collaborations. Bay Area rappers are always in Houston and Houston rappers are always in the Bay Area. Fans of both region know each other rappers. Houston had a connection with the Bay while Dallas had a connection with SoCal. UGK shouted out B-Legit's (from the Bay) name on Murder back in 1996.

The only thing that Houston has that did not get it's influence from the Bay IMO is Screw.
I agree Houston was influenced by the Bay Area, but Houston created its own type of music while the bay is different. You make it seem like Houston's hip hop scene would've never started if it weren't for rappers out the bay.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,211 posts, read 25,908,730 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I agree Houston was influenced by the Bay Area, but Houston created its own type of music while the bay is different. You make it seem like Houston's hip hop scene would've never started if it weren't for rappers out the bay.
I never stated that. Seeing as how the Geto Boyz was out since the late 80s, I already know that Houston's imprint in the game was already known. But when you look at the old SUC to some of the old SPC, that is influenced by the Bay. Doesn't mean they took it's style. Just means that Houston's sound is similar to the Bay. Also, Screw didn't start in Texas. I introduce you to JamPony in Florida. They did it first. But Screw added a lot of flavor to it and he chopped it up as well.
 
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Reputation: 735
Chicago never went mainstream when it was pretty much the second major city after NYC to receive the hip hop culture from Graffiti to Break dancing.

That's all I have to say.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Galewood
3,626 posts, read 8,392,292 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Chicago never went mainstream when it was pretty much the second major city after NYC to receive the hip hop culture from Graffiti to Break dancing.
That's all I have to say.
Chicago went mainstream when Kanye West came out- sure people knew of Common, Twista, and even Do or Die- but I wouldn't consider those guys at the time mainstream
 
Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,220 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Chicago went mainstream when Kanye West came out- sure people knew of Common, Twista, and even Do or Die- but I wouldn't consider those guys at the time mainstream
Kanye is a disgrace.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
 
342 posts, read 599,244 times
Reputation: 131
I agree about the infuence of oakland on houston music, you can hear it with old ugk, geto. Boyz, and 5thward boys. Houston had their own identitiy of music now starting with the s.u.c, if screw was still here trust me houston would be more known, and rappers like z-ro, trae and lil keke would be unleashed.
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,448,760 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Kanye is a disgrace.
College Dropout is a classic. That's when Kanye had that hunger. Late Registration was great, and Graduation was also great. 808s and Heartbreak is just a bump in the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top