U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 07:10 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,811,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Let me correct you before somebody from DC and Baltimore sees your comments and jumps on you. DC is only go-go. Baltimore is house. Very similar to that of Chicago's. But go-go and house are extremely different. I can't stand either one of them. I do like a couple go-go songs though.

100% agreed about the Dallas scene and sadly, it seems that the hip hop fans of Dallas accept this. All that is coming from Dallas are stupid dances. Dallas has talent. I've heard it. But sadly the masses in DFW want to stanky leg, do the frankey, or listen to ice cream paint jobs. I'm with one Houston poster on a hip hop based message board about Dallas. He says to kill every rapper from Dallas right now. They are not only embarassing the city. But the entire state.
What I find sad is that they are getting major play on BET, but its so many other rappers representing TX that get no love.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,242,954 times
Yeah, I've had "discussions" and I use that term very loosely for the fact that whatever I would say I'd just get a bunch of choice four letter words written back to me in response. The Dallas scene is very tired, unoriginal and uninspiring. For example I pointed out the fact one time that this song called "Check Out My Lean" was the same as a song called "Wat It Iz" done by Young Capone only the song was taken down like an octave. I suggested that Dallas should try to do their own original style rather than, imo, copying another city's. It's one thing to pay homage and redo a song in your own style, to me though this was just copying. People failed to see the similarities, all they could do was berate me. As far as I'm concerned if you can't see the similarities as well as the difference in music, and this goes for all genres, then you're just not fit to judge it and your opinion is of little consequence to me. Anyway, I'll stop ranting now. I'm not an expert as far as hip hop goes but I do love good music wherever it may come from.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,602,975 times
NYC by far is the utopia of hip hop.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:28 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,797,441 times
K, here's the deal:

I grew up listening to gangster rap and right before that, people like Run DMC, the Beastie Boys and so on. Grew up in the 80's and 90's, and stopped listening to music pretty much altogether by 1996 as I've already heard most of what I consider "good" by then. And honestly, I think I made the right choice: rap, in particular, has utterly SUCKED since I'd say about 1996 or 1997 (when Tu Pac and Biggie died). Since then it's been less about killing *****z and more about showing bling or making animal noises and blowing whistles (there ARE obviously a few exceptions, OF COURSE).

Today's hip-hop or rap really doesn't interest me much like it used to. I used to like listening to the stories or lyrics when the vocals sucked (and they usually do), or at least enjoy the beat if it's easy to listen to and doesn't make my ears hurt. Some of today's crap seems to be all about noise, bragging (which I can't stand), and really, really, REALLY bad lyrics! Talk about something deep, tell somebody something they haven't heard before, or hey -- actually SING it well and with heart and soul! This does not apply to ONLY rap, but also rock, R&B, country.....whatever. Try not to sell yourself out ALL THE TIME! Snoop Dogg USED to be cool to me -- now he's CLEARLY a total sell-out and foolish.

Sell me heart and soul and put it in your music and I'll listen 95% of the time -- and 100% of the time if the beat is sweet and you can, you know, understand what the person is saying. I know just about every one of these guys can do this, but they stop short for the easy money and the terrible music that follows. I don't know who buys this stuff, but it's not helping the "talent" at all!

Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 AM

317 posts, read 465,129 times
Top Hip-Hop cities:

NYC. (of course)
Detroit.
Chicago.
Philly.
Atlanta.
Miami.
Houston
New Orleans.
Memphis.
Los Angeles.
Oakland/The Bay area.
Boston.
Washington D.C.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM

825 posts, read 950,862 times
1. Chicago
2. L.A.
3. Miami
4. NY
5. Philadelphia
6. New Orleans
7. Houston
8. Seattle
9. Detroit
10. Boston

But today's rap is not the same anymore not without the substance that biggie, big pun, big l, Scott La Rock, Pimp C (to a lesser extent), JMJ and especially the late tupac had.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:45 PM

825 posts, read 950,862 times
But Miami hip-hop was big in the 90's when 2 Live Crew, Uncle Al and DJ laz hit the scene.
and let's not forget JT Money

Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,835,161 times
Nyc
la
atlanta
houston
philadelphia
chicago

Old 07-04-2011, 05:03 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,507,571 times
My list is based on which cities produced the most and the most impressive lyrical artists in order:
New York
Philly
Chicago
Detroit
LA
Atlanta
Houston

Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,690,167 times
New York and Chi town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or