U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 5,770,261 times
Reputation: 2547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
All due respect but...
Who cares?? It's just music at the end of the day. And I swear this regional crap only exists on the internet. In Atlanta its people from everywhere here, like in my crew I got 2 dudes from East NY, 1 from the DMV, 1 from the N.O. and 2 from Detroit, and the rest are from here like me, but we all move as one. We may crack on each other about things here and there to make jokes, but that's where it stops. We a family, it don't matter where cats are from or who started what, we all bring something to the table and that makes us that much stronger.
Not everyone has the opportunity to move and hook up with artists from various areas.

When you grow up in an area you become part of it and defend it with pride

 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 6,943,929 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
All due respect but...
Who cares?? It's just music at the end of the day. And I swear this regional crap only exists on the internet. In Atlanta its people from everywhere here, like in my crew I got 2 dudes from East NY, 1 from the DMV, 1 from the N.O. and 2 from Detroit, and the rest are from here like me, but we all move as one. We may crack on each other about things here and there to make jokes, but that's where it stops. We a family, it don't matter where cats are from or who started what, we all bring something to the table and that makes us that much stronger.
That's what the internet is for right? To vent. I mean, lets be honest I doubt anybody actually has discussions about 'which region has the best rappers' in real life. The best thing about hip hop (and music in general) IMO is that it gives a glimpse on how other people do it in their cities or regions. And that's why I like threads like these so I can see how people do it in other places, share music from my region and to discuss music

Plus there are too many shallow people on Facebook and twitter to discuss anything so I go here lmao.

mas23
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,458 posts, read 1,428,894 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Not everyone has the opportunity to move and hook up with artists from various areas.

When you grow up in an area you become part of it and defend it with pride

Wasn't talking about music actually, that's not my thing. I was speaking about getting to the money. And I feel you on the growing up in an area and being proud of it, I'm proud of being from where I'm from. I love my hood/city like she's my girl. That's my town, I can look at the skyline all day. When I'm OT I love telling people I'm from the westside of Atlanta.

And defend what? Is a dude from some other hood coming on your block and selling better work at a cheaper price and taking your custos???? No, we're talking about rap music here fam, it's not that serious. And because I love my hood/side/city doesn't mean I can't network with cats from other places and get it with them. That makes my team that much stronger, so we can make more money and I don't have to just rep and love my hood in my own city, I can go to a different city to get money or chill and rep my section. I feel what you're saying and I see where you're coming from but we all one at the end of the day. And if you aint taking no money out of my mouth or no food off my plate, then I could care less where you from. I don't know I guess that's just how we think where I'm from. My parents are from the Chicago area and I know how yall cats get territorial real quick up that way. But i dont think like that. Where I'm from we trying to get that money, we not worried about all that other stuff. The only time when there is a problem is if that money aint right, otherwise we cool.
 
Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,458 posts, read 1,428,894 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
That's what the internet is for right? To vent. I mean, lets be honest I doubt anybody actually has discussions about 'which region has the best rappers' in real life. The best thing about hip hop (and music in general) IMO is that it gives a glimpse on how other people do it in their cities or regions. And that's why I like threads like these so I can see how people do it in other places, share music from my region and to discuss music

Plus there are too many shallow people on Facebook and twitter to discuss anything so I go here lmao.

mas23

True true, valid points.....
 
Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
 
322 posts, read 511,137 times
Reputation: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
NYC invented hip-hop. It doesn't matter where it's making noise at. It doesn't matter at all. It shouldn't matter. Just because Flocka is popular in clubs everywhere(which is probably not the case) doesn't make NY irrelevant in this topic. They invented it. No ifs ands or buts.
thats irrelevant. ATL is outselling NYC in NYC. NY also invented the motion picture but that doesn't mean NYC makes the best pictures. NYC is actually the reason Hollywood is at its worst right now. I say Southern hip hop is underrated. It may be the most popular right now but the hip hop community in general hates Southern rap because its "not intelligent" but I think thats just NYC's superiority complex
 
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 AM
 
20 posts, read 27,720 times
Reputation: 30
Having lived on both the East and the West, I'd have to say that generally speaking, the West Coast (as far as hip hop goes) produces HORRIBLE music. I'm in California right now, and listening to the rap/hip hop music here is hilarious. They have the type of music you'd just wanna hear when you're at a party, hammered off your a*s. Otherwise, it's horrible (no offence to the Bay Area folks).

No question that New York has the best hip hop/rap artists. Jadakiss, Maino, Styles P, Lloyd Banks, Cam'ron, Juelz, etc..

East as a whole has some great artists..Ryan Leslie and Cassidy come to mind.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 AM
 
Location: Austin
1,796 posts, read 2,436,963 times
Reputation: 1199
Houston started right after the success from NYC & LA with Geto Boyz, & UGK. Also Houston has tons of hip hop artist from Chamillionaire, Bun B, Pimp C (R.I.P), Trae, ect...
 
Old 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times
Reputation: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
thats irrelevant. ATL is outselling NYC in NYC. NY also invented the motion picture but that doesn't mean NYC makes the best pictures. NYC is actually the reason Hollywood is at its worst right now. I say Southern hip hop is underrated. It may be the most popular right now but the hip hop community in general hates Southern rap because its "not intelligent" but I think thats just NYC's superiority complex
Look what's selling? Not really skills I know that. I mean Nelly was one of the top sellers in the last decade. Does that mean he's one of the greatest?

I'm from the South and I get upset when people don't give them it's due. But I also get upset when Southerners turn a blind eye to the garbage it produced and unfortunately, we have produced more garbage than any other region. Admit it. Doesn't make Scarface, Outkast, 8ball and MJG bad. But peeps like Ying Yang Twins, Baby and Mannie Fresh, and Lil Flip was in a class by itself in how garbage they were.
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 7,886,407 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
I have heard and read before that 415 actually largely influenced NWA. I will try to pull up the article where I had read this.
San Francisco also had gangster rappers in the 80s. This one group ATC (All Too Critical) came out at the same time as NWA, in 1987 (which is also about the same time as 415):

A.T.C. It's A Life - YouTube
A.T.C - Down by the bay - YouTube

There's also Hugh EMC. This track is from 1988:

Hugh E. MC & DJ Rock - It's The Game - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Funny you mention it as I've been listening to a lot of old school Too Short & Rappin' 4-Tay lately.
Here's some more 90s mobb music for you, out of SF:

11/5:
11-5 "my hustle" - YouTube
11/5 - 115 CC's (The Injection) - YouTube
11/5 - Slangin' Dope - YouTube
11/5 Blockstyle Murdah - YouTube
11-5 - 44 Maggie - YouTube
11/5 - What I Need - YouTube

Suga Bear:
Suga Bear -Neck Of Tha Woods - YouTube
Suga Bear - Road To Riches - YouTube
Suga Bear - Grave Yard Shift - YouTube
 
Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 PM
 
Location: The big blue yonder...
1,993 posts, read 2,923,774 times
Reputation: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Definitely not LA. They've been out of it for years now.

Today it's...
1) NYC - Maino, Fat Joe, Ja Rule, etc.
2) Atlanta
3) Houston
4) Miami
5) New Orleans
6) Chicago - the new "Lookin' Boy" song's goofy, but Kanye and Common are good
7) Los Angeles
8) Bay Area
9) Philly
10) ?
????????????For TODAY?????????????? Definitely overall, but "TODAY?"
NO WAY...

New Yorkers never can admit when they've just lost it... Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top