U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM

515 posts, read 836,854 times

Advertisements

Hilliest? Easily San Francisco.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39712788@N00/2570171207/sizes/o/ (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM

672 posts, read 1,543,096 times
This topic's been beaten to death, and I can't take anything away from Pittsburgh because it's tremendously hilly and beautiful, but SF takes this as far as the US goes. It's second in the world behind La Paz, with Lisbon at third. Pittsburgh is somewhere in the top ten I'm sure.

CITY OF HILLS / With 50-plus hills, it's no wonder that San Francisco is considered the second hilliest city in the world, next to La Paz, Bolivia

Old 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,663,661 times
I'm kind of surprised no one's mentioned Austin yet as one of the hilliest cities.

Photos of Lake Austin near 360 Bridge (http://www.austinrealestatemarket.com/gallery/lake-austin.php - broken link)

360 Bridge
MilesOfTexas Photography Favorites (http://milesoftexas.com/galleries/favorites/ - broken link)
Helpful Links

Villa Antonia (Lake Travis)

http://austin.about.com/od/lifestyle...ing_venues.htm

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,238,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Cincinnati is also quite hilly.

Indianapolis is so flat that city's highest elevations are highway over passes.
Not true. There are a series of kames (elongated hills) on the south side of the city near Morgantown Rd. and County Line Rd. Indy isnt as flat as you think and there are many cities that are even flatter: Oklahoma City, Wichita, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas, San Anotnio, Houston, New Orleans and anywhere in Florida.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,953,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Not true. There are a series of kames (elongated hills) on the south side of the city near Morgantown Rd. and County Line Rd. Indy isnt as flat as you think and there are many cities that are even flatter: Oklahoma City, Wichita, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Memphis, Tulsa, Dallas, San Anotnio, Houston, New Orleans and anywhere in Florida.
Memphis isn't that flat, there are gentle hills throughout the city, but yeah relatively speaking, it's flat.

St. Louis isn't flat at all. It's pretty hilly, a lot moreso than Memphis. The Ozarks aren't too far away

Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,663,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
San Antonio isn't flat. I think people have said this several times.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:26 PM

594 posts, read 1,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Seattle has some hills in the city that are steeper than San Fran's.
No it doesn't. Seattle has some decent hills, but none compare to some you'll find in places like North Beach, Nob Hill, Bernal Heights, etc. We are talking like 60 degrees at some point. Ive lived in both SF and Seattle extensively. Believe me on this one...

Old 02-01-2010, 06:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,098,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
San Antonio isn't flat. I think people have said this several times.
Neither is New Orleans, but I've been living here my whole life and can't tell. It's wierd how the city is flat anywhere, but the the naked eye it looks like a pancake. The northern parts of Florida also have rolling hills similar to the Mobile, AL area.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

594 posts, read 1,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeamish View Post
I didn't know SF had staircase streets. Thanks for the pics. I'd love to visit them next time I'm in the area.

SF has a few high-profile cliffs and very steep hills, but looking at the Google terrain map (and from my experience wandering the city) the majority of it ranges from relatively flat to gentle hills. Pittsburgh is mostly medium to steep hills with a few flat areas here and there.

I have to disagree with you here. Pittsburgh is very underrated and much hillier than people think, but SF has several areas that surpass it, although it also has some relatively flat areas.

Overall, SF is hillier though...

Old 02-01-2010, 06:51 PM

672 posts, read 1,543,096 times
All-time fave:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/3...e7f21832_b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or