U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,620,971 times

Advertisements

NYC has some nice hills uptown near Wash. Heights and in the North Bronx. The rest of the city is fairly flat despite a few hills sprinkled throughout he city. But NYC is unnaturally hilly. Before they built it up so much, they excavated the land to flatten it out because it was very rough and hilly. Battery Park City's built on a landfill of excavated land that was dug up from the buildings around it, the World Trade Center, and the garbage they used to dump into the Harbor over 100 years ago. NYC is the most unnatural city in the world. I'm not saying our hills looked like San Francisco's, but if you take a walk through Central Park, that's what it looked like before... Boulders, hills, foresty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:38 AM

85,688 posts, read 100,108,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
From Les Nessman. "Ooohhh, Nebraska. I'd love to go to Omaha. It's one of our nation's leading pork packing centers. The terrain there is so level, so flat, so relaxing. I've often fantasized about going there. It would be like a dream come true. Oh take me John, take me".
I thought it was beef. DH said he went on some field trips to the meat-packing plants as a little kid, and they saw the beef "on the hook". Omaha is not flat. I was surprised when I saw it the first time, very rolly, like Iowa to the east, esp. around UNO. Council Bluffs is just across the river. The name should give some idea of the topography. It's nothing like Chicago. Now that is a flat city, IMO.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 09-07-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-07-2008, 08:49 AM

6,332 posts, read 15,710,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
NYC has some nice hills uptown near Wash. Heights and in the North Bronx. The rest of the city is fairly flat despite a few hills sprinkled throughout he city. But NYC is unnaturally hilly. Before they built it up so much, they excavated the land to flatten it out because it was very rough and hilly. Battery Park City's built on a landfill of excavated land that was dug up from the buildings around it, the World Trade Center, and the garbage they used to dump into the Harbor over 100 years ago. NYC is the most unnatural city in the world. I'm not saying our hills looked like San Francisco's, but if you take a walk through Central Park, that's what it looked like before... Boulders, hills, foresty...
And the highest point in the city, Todt Hill (Staten Island). At 410 feet it's the highest point on the eastern seaboard south of Maine.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 AM

288 posts, read 1,231,572 times
Hilly

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles.............is so huge it is both hilly and flat in parts.

Flat

Phoenix
Las Vegas
Chicago

Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 AM

5,667 posts, read 8,860,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought it was beef. DH said he went on some field trips to the meat-packing plants as a little kid, and they saw the beef "on the hook". Omaha is not flat. I was surprised when I saw it the first time, very rolly, like Iowa to the east, esp. around UNO. Council Bluffs is just across the river. The name should give some idea of the topography. It's nothing like Chicago. Now that is a flat city, IMO.
I lived in Comaha for a while and while I would not call it truly flat, it does not have what I'd call real hills either. But gently rolling terrain seems to be an adequate way to categorize the land in the immediate area.

I suspect the quote from Les Nessman was written by someone that had not been to Comaha at least as far as the aspect of terrain is concerned. But to be honest, ask anyone from New England how they'd describe that terrain and yes, it is flat compared to the hills and mountains of New England, NY and PA.

Believe it or not apparently at one time Comaha was actually a large pork packing center. Not sure if is today though. And yes, Chicago is every bit as flat as Indy.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:36 AM

85,688 posts, read 100,108,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I suspect the quote from Les Nessman was written by someone that had not been to Comaha at least as far as the aspect of terrain is concerned. But to be honest, ask anyone from New England how they'd describe that terrain and yes, it is flat compared to the hills and mountains of New England, NY and PA.

Believe it or not apparently at one time Comaha was actually a large pork packing center. Not sure if is today though. And yes, Chicago is every bit as flat as Indy.
I agree. I first visited Omaha when living in Champaign, IL. Believe me, it looked hilly to me, and I am from Pennsylvania, where there are not many flat spots in the entire state! Chicago is even flatter than Indy, IMO.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM

155 posts, read 670,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hilliest-
San Francisco
Seattle
Portland
Los Angeles
Pittsburgh
Omaha

Flattest-
Oklahoma City
Kansas City
Minneapolis
Denver (believe it or not)
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Sioux Falls
I was actually surprised by how hilly Kansas City, MO was.

Miami is probably the flattest city I've ever been to.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,439,697 times
Atlanta is pretty hilly also....since it's on the Piedmont.

But Miami is definitely one of the flattest cities in U.S

Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,160,407 times
I guess New Orleans would classify as flat too. More along the line of "sunken in" too, but flat nonetheless.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:03 AM

29,910 posts, read 8,439,697 times
Birmingham is very hilly as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or