U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-06-2010, 02:53 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,182,062 times
When you drive around Pittsburgh and most of Western Pennsylvania, you are either going up a hill or down a hill. The steepest city street in the world is in Pittsburgh:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/steepest.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m.../steepest1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM

1,942 posts, read 1,996,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSkylineNumber3 View Post
Miami has a really big skyline so why even make this comparison? Miami's skyline is number three. Just as Quantum, he knows and he has a camera. Miami's skyline is really big. Chicago doesn't even compare.

OMG, PLEASE, you have to be kidding?????

Unread 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM

709 posts, read 514,511 times
Hilly: San Fran
Flat: Lubbock

My town: I would say Austin could be both. =)

West Austin is many many times hillier and has much bigger hills than San Fran but that is just West Austin. The hill county and especially around Lake Austin is just tons and tons of huge hills. However, right around where the state capitol building is downtown Austin turns flat as Nichole Richie.

Unread 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM

12,097 posts, read 17,015,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post

West Austin is many many times hillier and has much bigger hills than San Fran but that is just West Austin. The hill county and especially around Lake Austin is just tons and tons of huge hills. However, right around where the state capitol building is downtown Austin turns flat as Nichole Richie.
LOL.
I was amazed at the abrupt transition between west and east Austin. It does sit literally on the edge of the Hill Country.

Unread 11-06-2010, 07:50 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,720,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Omaha is definitely NOT one of the hilliest cities in America; in fact most of it is predominantly flat, like the rest of Nebraska. It's also not what I would call a "major" city, lol.
Omaha is actually fairly hilly. I wouldn't call it a "major" city either, but (city proper), it's bigger than Minneapolis, who most call a "major" city.

Unread 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM

5,187 posts, read 3,011,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post

I know Austin well, what you say is correct, but I wouldnt say its hillier than SF. While SF has hills all over it, the southside has very tall peaks. Average wise SF is hilly everywhere and Austin is not.

Unread 11-06-2010, 08:14 AM

4,388 posts, read 10,781,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Omaha is actually fairly hilly. I wouldn't call it a "major" city either, but (city proper), it's bigger than Minneapolis, who most call a "major" city.
True! Omaha is not entirely flat

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...3/DSC_0237.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/DSC_0182.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/DSC_0178.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/DSC_0341.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/DSC_0299.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When you drive around Pittsburgh and most of Western Pennsylvania, you are either going up a hill or down a hill. The steepest city street in the world is in Pittsburgh:

This street really makes me tense. I think of those Pittsburgh winters and trying to drive a car down that street

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,720,605 times
Quote:
Miami has a really big skyline so why even make this comparison? Miami's skyline is number three. Just as Quantum, he knows and he has a camera. Miami's skyline is really big. Chicago doesn't even compare.
I'm trying to decide if you're eleven or twelve. Your posts, overall, don't have any logic.

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,032,224 times
Quote:
I think you're in the wrong thread. This is supposed to be about hilly vs. flat.

Unread 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM

2,059 posts, read 1,680,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I know Austin well, what you say is correct, but I wouldnt say its hillier than SF. While SF has hills all over it, the southside has very tall peaks. Average wise SF is hilly everywhere and Austin is not.
I don't know but in West Austin you are literally in the Hill Country. The Hill Country reaches all the way to San Antonio. In the actual city, yes San Francisco has more, but I think the other person is referring to the actual Hill Country and why West of Austin there are more Hills than San Francisco. I would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City