U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
3,133 posts, read 7,617,482 times
Reputation: 1064

Advertisements

When you drive around Pittsburgh and most of Western Pennsylvania, you are either going up a hill or down a hill. The steepest city street in the world is in Pittsburgh:

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...c/steepest.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m.../steepest1.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2010, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,940 posts, read 3,466,723 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSkylineNumber3 View Post
Miami has a really big skyline so why even make this comparison? Miami's skyline is number three. Just as Quantum, he knows and he has a camera. Miami's skyline is really big. Chicago doesn't even compare.

OMG, PLEASE, you have to be kidding?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
709 posts, read 1,015,183 times
Reputation: 480
Hilly: San Fran
Flat: Lubbock

My town: I would say Austin could be both. =)

West Austin is many many times hillier and has much bigger hills than San Fran but that is just West Austin. The hill county and especially around Lake Austin is just tons and tons of huge hills. However, right around where the state capitol building is downtown Austin turns flat as Nichole Richie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Status: "All revved up and no lawn to mow." (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta and Brunswick, GA
16,371 posts, read 28,069,966 times
Reputation: 8632
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Hilly: San Fran
Flat: Lubbock

My town: I would say Austin could be both. =)

West Austin is many many times hillier and has much bigger hills than San Fran but that is just West Austin. The hill county and especially around Lake Austin is just tons and tons of huge hills. However, right around where the state capitol building is downtown Austin turns flat as Nichole Richie.
LOL.
I was amazed at the abrupt transition between west and east Austin. It does sit literally on the edge of the Hill Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 07:50 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,430,858 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Omaha is definitely NOT one of the hilliest cities in America; in fact most of it is predominantly flat, like the rest of Nebraska. It's also not what I would call a "major" city, lol.
Omaha is actually fairly hilly. I wouldn't call it a "major" city either, but (city proper), it's bigger than Minneapolis, who most call a "major" city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
7,929 posts, read 7,209,659 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
Hilly: San Fran
Flat: Lubbock

My town: I would say Austin could be both. =)

West Austin is many many times hillier and has much bigger hills than San Fran but that is just West Austin. The hill county and especially around Lake Austin is just tons and tons of huge hills. However, right around where the state capitol building is downtown Austin turns flat as Nichole Richie.
I know Austin well, what you say is correct, but I wouldnt say its hillier than SF. While SF has hills all over it, the southside has very tall peaks. Average wise SF is hilly everywhere and Austin is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 AM
 
Location: moving again
4,384 posts, read 14,252,879 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Omaha is actually fairly hilly. I wouldn't call it a "major" city either, but (city proper), it's bigger than Minneapolis, who most call a "major" city.
True! Omaha is not entirely flat


http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...3/DSC_0237.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/DSC_0182.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/DSC_0178.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/DSC_0341.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/DSC_0299.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
When you drive around Pittsburgh and most of Western Pennsylvania, you are either going up a hill or down a hill. The steepest city street in the world is in Pittsburgh:



This street really makes me tense. I think of those Pittsburgh winters and trying to drive a car down that street

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,430,858 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSkylineNumber3 View Post
Miami has a really big skyline so why even make this comparison? Miami's skyline is number three. Just as Quantum, he knows and he has a camera. Miami's skyline is really big. Chicago doesn't even compare.
I'm trying to decide if you're eleven or twelve. Your posts, overall, don't have any logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Near Graham WA
1,249 posts, read 2,147,190 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiSkylineNumber3 View Post
Miami has a really big skyline so why even make this comparison? Miami's skyline is number three. Just as Quantum, he knows and he has a camera. Miami's skyline is really big. Chicago doesn't even compare.
I think you're in the wrong thread. This is supposed to be about hilly vs. flat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: san francisco
2,063 posts, read 2,949,209 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I know Austin well, what you say is correct, but I wouldnt say its hillier than SF. While SF has hills all over it, the southside has very tall peaks. Average wise SF is hilly everywhere and Austin is not.
I don't know but in West Austin you are literally in the Hill Country. The Hill Country reaches all the way to San Antonio. In the actual city, yes San Francisco has more, but I think the other person is referring to the actual Hill Country and why West of Austin there are more Hills than San Francisco. I would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top