U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 PM

21,749 posts, read 33,630,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Nashville Pittsburgh Birmingham Cincy asheville....just the few big cities that pop up that are more hillier than atl
First of all, I said MAJOR cities, so that excludes Asheville.
High point in each of these metros:

Nashville - 2092 ft.
Pittsburgh - 1401 ft.
Cincinnati - 1089 ft.
Birmingham - 1025 ft.
Atlanta - 1808 ft.

So yes, Nashville MSA does have a higher point than Atlanta, but as the 36th largest US metro I'm not sure I would categorize it as a major US city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 PM

10,735 posts, read 18,799,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
People who are saying that are just going by the idea that the Midwest equals flat. They don't realize that the major rivers have big bluffs on their sides which means that many of the river cities are among the least flat parts of the Midwest. Minneapolis and especially St Paul are like this too. Minneapolis isn't hilly the way St Paul is but it has a rolling topography that is significantly less flat than Chicago or Denver, it also has the Mississippi River gorge running through it.
Exactly. Omaha is quite hilly as well. St Louis is too (although downtown is pretty flat). Des Moines and Tulsa even have some nice hills. I find it ironic that people that tend to call cities in the central plains "flat" are from cities that are often much flatter.

The same people that call KC flat are the ones that think Denver is not flat when it's one of the flattest cities in the country.

People need to travel more.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 PM

10,735 posts, read 18,799,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Nashville - 2092 ft.
Pittsburgh - 1401 ft.
Cincinnati - 1089 ft.
Birmingham - 1025 ft.
Atlanta - 1808 ft.

So yes, Nashville MSA does have a higher point than Atlanta, but as the 36th largest US metro I'm not sure I would categorize it as a major US city.
Who cares what the highest point is. That doesn't have a lot of relevance as to how hilly a city is. Even the difference between highs and lowest points doesn't make a lot of difference.

And Nashville is a major city. The US has a lot of major cities. It only has a handful of very large cities, but I would say the top 40 cities are easily major cities.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 PM

345 posts, read 303,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who cares what the highest point is. That doesn't have a lot of relevance as to how hilly a city is. Even the difference between highs and lowest points doesn't make a lot of difference.

And Nashville is a major city. The US has a lot of major cities. It only has a handful of very large cities, but I would say the top 40 cities are easily major cities.
Exactly. Nashville is the 25th largest city in the US. I'd say being in the top 25 (and being #25 in general in this huge country) makes it a major city.

When he said atl is the hilliest city east of the ms river I just had to speak up lol. Atlanta is hilly, but there are more hillier cities east of the ms than atl

Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 PM
_OT

2,080 posts, read 1,371,234 times
San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Birmingham, Cincinnati, and Seattle. Only few where the core areas are very hilly; dense neighborhoods, amenities, etc.

Also can get nice views of the city without going far. Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Cincinnati, Birmingham, Seattle.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 AM

5,394 posts, read 7,816,944 times
I seriously don't get why people assume that Denver is actually in the mountains. It's not called the Queen city of the Plains for nothing Colorado Springs is the hilly/mountainous city in the state.

Quote:
Kansas City is probably one of the least flat major cities. People that mention KC are only doing so purely out of ignorance.
And all because it has "Kansas" in it's name. lol

Last edited by Mezter; 10-22-2016 at 01:14 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 07:14 AM

3,591 posts, read 3,390,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Nashville - 2092 ft.
Pittsburgh - 1401 ft.
Cincinnati - 1089 ft.
Birmingham - 1025 ft.
Atlanta - 1808 ft.

1401 is the highest elevation in the CITY limits of Pittsburgh at television hill. The highest point in the metro is 3,001 ft in Fayette county.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitt...ropolitan_area

Old 10-22-2016, 07:47 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,899,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
1401 is the highest elevation in the CITY limits of Pittsburgh at television hill. The highest point in the metro is 3,001 ft in Fayette county.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitt...ropolitan_area
Highest elevation is a bit overrated. Denver is elevated higher that any major city in the east, but yet it is relatively flat for the most part. Even if Pittsburgh doesn't have the highest elevation east of the Mississippi it's still one of the hilliest US cities per capital.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:35 AM

3,591 posts, read 3,390,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Highest elevation is a bit overrated. Denver is elevated higher that any major city in the east, but yet it is relatively flat for the most part. Even if Pittsburgh doesn't have the highest elevation east of the Mississippi it's still one of the hilliest US cities per capital.
Oh I completely agree. His statistic was so far off though it needed corrected

Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 AM

21,749 posts, read 33,630,244 times
Quote:

I guess we can argue something so subjective until the end of time...just keep moving the goalposts if it furthers your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or