U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2008, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 7,707,493 times
Reputation: 859
The flattest major cities I can think of are:
Indianapolis, IN
Fort Wayne, IN (not really a major city though)
Chicago, IL
Detroit, MI
Columbus, OH
Dayton, OH
Toledo, OH
Houston, TX
Miami, FL

Some of the hilliest are:
Pittsburgh, PA
Cincinnati, OH
San Francisco, CA
Philadelphia, PA (not the city itself really, but right outside it is very hilly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 3,812,453 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's funny (ironic) to see Columbus on your list, Steve-O. When a co-worker of mine from Champaign visited Columbus, she came back raving about how hilly it was! That's how flat Champaign is. Add it to the list!

LOL so true too. I had friends from (dear me to say it) Omaha come out, and we headed down to Columbus and they mentioned that it had quite a few hills. All I could do was stare and grin. Wonder what they would have thought if we took the short trip down to Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Cleveland Suburbs
2,554 posts, read 3,812,453 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The flattest major cities I can think of are:
Indianapolis, IN
Fort Wayne, IN (not really a major city though)
Chicago, IL
Detroit, MI
Columbus, OH
Dayton, OH
Toledo, OH
Houston, TX
Miami, FL

Some of the hilliest are:
Pittsburgh, PA
Cincinnati, OH
San Francisco, CA
Philadelphia, PA (not the city itself really, but right outside it is very hilly).

You could say the same thing about Columbus like you did about Philly. Look at Hocking Hills just SE of Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Status: "Happy Halloween!" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,130 posts, read 58,222,176 times
Reputation: 19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
LOL so true too. I had friends from (dear me to say it) Omaha come out, and we headed down to Columbus and they mentioned that it had quite a few hills. All I could do was stare and grin. Wonder what they would have thought if we took the short trip down to Cincy.
Omaha is hillier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM
 
3,328 posts, read 4,873,336 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Parts of Cleveland and St. Louis are hilly, while other parts of them are quite flat. Seattle and San Francisco I would say take claim to being some of the hilliest cities out there. The flattest cities I would say that I've been to are Indianapolis, Columbus, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
Little Rock is one of the hilliest places around, away from the airport, which is in the river bottoms where the Arkansas River flows into the Mississippi Delta region. From downtown westward, it's very hilly. By the time you get to the western part of town, you're at the edge of the Ouachita Mountains. This is Pinnacle Mountain, just outside the city limits:


http://farm1.static.flickr.com/183/4...43756c.jpg?v=0

Kansas City is also much hillier than people think, especially if you stay away from some of the trendier burbs in Kansas. It's hard to capture on photo, since the hills are smaller. Some of them are quite steep, though.

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 3,773,011 times
Reputation: 1815
Hilly
San Diego
San Francisco
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati

Flat
Tucson
Phoenix
Vegas
Chicago
Minneapolis
Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
 
5,198 posts, read 8,709,179 times
Reputation: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Some other hilly cities
Honolulu, Des Moines (around the capitol), Baltimore, Boston, St. Paul, Billings, Cincinnati, Providence, Knoxville, And Richmond
Boston? Hmmm, dunno 'bout that. 300 years ago, yes, but the larger hills from that time have long since been shoveled away so the dirt could be used for landfill that allowed building in areas that used to be under water. A few low hills widely scattered around the city, but not very hilly overall.

I've been seeing Miami suggested frequently as one of the flattest cities. This is probably true of most or all Florida coastal cities outside the Panhandle. I would add J'ville to the list of flattest cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
 
Location: moving again
4,388 posts, read 11,410,779 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Boston? Hmmm, dunno 'bout that. 300 years ago, yes, but the larger hills from that time have long since been shoveled away so the dirt could be used for landfill that allowed building in areas that used to be under water. A few low hills widely scattered around the city, but not very hilly overall.

I've been seeing Miami suggested frequently as one of the flattest cities. This is probably true of most or all Florida coastal cities outside the Panhandle. I would add J'ville to the list of flattest cities.
Hm Interesting. The Photos i took must be fake than. Guess i didnt realize...









and than a few more not by me
Street on Beacon Hill in Boston on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr

Beacon Hill on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr

Last edited by JMT; 09-08-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
3,070 posts, read 7,707,493 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
You could say the same thing about Columbus like you did about Philly. Look at Hocking Hills just SE of Columbus.
Yeah, but thats one side. If you have been through Philly and on the highways around there, there is no comparison its not even close. Columbus is dead flat compared to Philly. Columbus and the immediate surrounding area is all flat, especially west. You have to go a good amount E/SE to get to any hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
 
5,198 posts, read 8,709,179 times
Reputation: 3527
Billiam, gimme a break! Quite a hefty response for one little observation I made. I didn't say that Boston was completely flat, just that it had a few small hills scattered around but in general was not notably hilly. Those pics you showed were all of Beacon Hill (okay, the Zakim bridge pic is a view FROM Beacon Hill), one of those scattered small hills. You can show different streets on Beacon Hill from various angles, but the fact is that it is still one little hill. You've got to go some distance from there to reach the next isolated little hill in Boston.

Last edited by ogre; 09-10-2008 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top