Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHICH CITY WOULD YOU PREFER?
ATLANTA 36 16.59%
LOS ANGELES 43 19.82%
DALLAS 25 11.52%
SEATTLE 43 19.82%
CHICAGO 70 32.26%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Poor Dallas. It takes to much unwarranted negativity from not only people from outside the state, but inside the state as well.

Me personally, I'll take Chicago over all of them in this poll but I can't rank 2-5 as I can easily see myself living in either one of them and enjoying my time as well. I do however like seasons so maybe that's a strike against LA. I do love urbanity so maybe that's a strike against Dallas and Atlanta. I do like snow so maybe that's a strike against Seattle.
not trying to put you on the spot, and this is a little off topic, but do you mind sharing why youre moving from dc to chicago?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Gotta go with LA. It will always be my favorite.

After that would be Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, and Seattle.

However, Im quite fond of all these cities.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM

87 posts, read 186,174 times
Seattle.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM

600 posts, read 1,608,858 times
I would never move to Chicago (too cold) or Seattle (too gloomy and rainy). Don't know anything about Dallar. Currently living in Atlanta, like it, but it's time for a change. Moving to LA in April.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Atlanta

Dallas

Los Angeles

Seattle/Chicago

Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
As others pointed out before, I really don't get why people think Chicago winters are THAT bad. I mean it does snow at times, and it certainly gets really cold at times, but it's not like you want to kill yourself for a good part of the year. I guess I'm just use to it, and most days in the winter are mid 20's through 40 degrees. Throw a coat on and I'm perfectly fine outside in that weather. I could definitely do without the 10 or 15 days a year though where the high temps are in the teens or lower, but you just suck it up for a week and move on.

I actually talked to someone a few months ago who honestly thought it was below freezing in Chicago for SIX months of the year straight. I said it totally gets cold in December through February, but outside those months you have a buffer where it's "ok" but could still be really warm or really cold, and then about 6 months where it's normally pretty nice from the 60's through 80's. From the end of March through the middle of November it's 50's or higher on average. That's about 8 months of the year. June through September is mid 70's through mid 80's.

It's totally a cold city in the winter, but it's not like it's below freezing for 4 months straight or anything. It's a city that wildly fluctuates, which totally defines the weather here from around November through April. warm, cold, warm, cold, cold, average, snow, dry for a month, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:21 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
not trying to put you on the spot, and this is a little off topic, but do you mind sharing why youre moving from dc to chicago?
Chicago is much cheaper than DC and I have my family there. I love the feel of Chicago more than I do DC. Don't get me wrong, DC is great and it has great proximity to other major cities. But I get more for my money in Chicago. I don't care about the weather. I happen to think Chicago's winters are NOT that bad.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
As others pointed out before, I really don't get why people think Chicago winters are THAT bad. I mean it does snow at times, and it certainly gets really cold at times, but it's not like you want to kill yourself for a good part of the year. I guess I'm just use to it, and most days in the winter are mid 20's through 40 degrees. Throw a coat on and I'm perfectly fine outside in that weather. I could definitely do without the 10 or 15 days a year though where the high temps are in the teens or lower, but you just suck it up for a week and move on.

I actually talked to someone a few months ago who honestly thought it was below freezing in Chicago for SIX months of the year straight. I said it totally gets cold in December through February, but outside those months you have a buffer where it's "ok" but could still be really warm or really cold, and then about 6 months where it's normally pretty nice from the 60's through 80's. From the end of March through the middle of November it's 50's or higher on average. That's about 8 months of the year. June through September is mid 70's through mid 80's.

It's totally a cold city in the winter, but it's not like it's below freezing for 4 months straight or anything. It's a city that wildly fluctuates, which totally defines the weather here from around November through April. warm, cold, warm, cold, cold, average, snow, dry for a month, etc.
Well in fairness, I thought the winters there were brutal. Chicago is one of my favorite cities in the world. I like it better than New York and every other city in the US except LA. I spent 2 happy years there in Lincoln Park. Late April through September is so vibrant and I miss that. But the rest of the year is harder with November through February being brutal.

I guess if you grow up with it, its not that bad. But I grew up in LA. Its tough for us.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:37 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Chicago is much cheaper than DC and I have my family there. I love the feel of Chicago more than I do DC. Don't get me wrong, DC is great and it has great proximity to other major cities. But I get more for my money in Chicago. I don't care about the weather. I happen to think Chicago's winters are NOT that bad.
oh well that's cool. i honestly think that family is an excellent reason to relocate. i cant imagine myself functioning to well if i was too far from kin

but at the same time man, chicago is cool and all, but if i lived in dc, they would have to pry me out with the jaws of life. i heard it goes hard up there

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
I'd have to go with Chicago. Call me crazy but I just feel that Chicago will become a magnet in the next 5 years. It's a great city, that often gets a bad rap due to its crime issues and cold weather. Both are real issues but crime is not an issue for much of the city (and I'm FAR, FAR from being someone who doesn't want to solve Chicago's crime problems...I grew up around violence). The weather is only really cold for about 3 months out of the year. It doesn't get cold until late November and it returns to manageable by March.

You definately get the best bang for your buck in Chicago. You can actually afford to go out 3-4 nights a week on a modest salary. The summers are the best in the country IMO. Block parties and festivals every weekend, great bar scene, great music scene, great fun, some of the best DJ's in the country...

Does Chicago have its faults? Yes. But what city doesn't? It's not for everybody but if you love an urban environment where you can actually live comfortably without being rich, Chicago is your city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City