U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 AM

970 posts, read 2,540,373 times

Advertisements

Detroit really doesn't have any 'row house neighborhoods'. It was designed as a single-family city. But, there's the occasional block that contains rowhouses here and there.

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8099/drhu.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM

443 posts, read 399,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
yeah, boston's beacon hill (along with a few others) has got to be one one of the most beautiful urban neighborhoods in the country. a lot of people seem to think that boston's housing stock consists primarily of those triple deckers; however, i have literally seen none--virtually all of the housing i have seen has been the row homes like those depicted above. i have only lived there for a few months, so i could be wrong, but i feel like the triple deckers (which are still beautiful) are mostly in the INNER suburbs and in the rougher (or younger?) neighborhoods. i'm sure a local can shed some light on that much better than i could. but yeah, anyway you look at it, boston is downright beautiful.
Outside of the central areas of Boston most of the buildings are triple deckers. Another reason many people don't think of Boston is that the North End has tenements not row houses. And many row houses were converted to function as tenements or apartments.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:48 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,481,101 times
This is a great and informative thread. I spent many years of my childhood in and around Philadelphia, so I got the idea that a "real city" has rowhouses, even though I know that many don't.

I would call those "detached row houses" in Cincinnati small lot houses. But they do have sort of a rowhouse feel, in a good way, really cohesively holding that block.

The key difference with San Francisco rowhouses is that they're made of wood, not stone or brick. Nobody calls them rowhouses here, but they are--terraced or attached housing. Attached wooden housing was a big problem up until 1906, when the city burned repeatedly. After 1906, the city instituted a stronger building code and greatly improved its firefighting capacity.

To me, rowhouses are a positive intermediate housing form between apartments and single family detached houses. As people have said, they create a lot more density to support transit and stores (especially some of the tiny old Philadelphia father-son-holy ghost houses with basically one room per floor). But they give the residents their own entrance from the outside and usually something of a backyard. Families with children who do stay in cities often seek out rowhouses as more family friendly housing. Vancouver, B.C. requires highrise builders to include some rowhouse type units at the base of the tower, which seems like an excellent idea to me.

I remember a quote from someone in Chicago (can't remember who) to the effect that you know your neighborhood is gentrifying when they start building the townhouses!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,428,368 times
Minneapolis used to have plenty.... Before urban renewal. The only remaining row houses now are mostly in Elliot Park, with some in Stevens Square, and more scattered through Marcy Holmes and Dinkytown. Any others are really scattered.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
Indianapolis isn't notorious for row houses but a few neighborhoods should qualify on a very small scale.

St Joseph neighborhood

newer row homes added

old and new

Lockerbie Square neighborhood
Along Vermont Street attached homes with brick walled entrances

Last edited by urbanologist; 01-13-2013 at 12:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City