U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,338,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
^^^ Just to let you know, El Paso has one of the lowest crime rates for 500K+ cities in the nation.
I stand corrected and am quite surprised. I still don't want to breathe the air there, and I still don't want to have to find my way around town there. I could see the brown cloud from 80 miles to the east when I last travelled through. I'll venture that ugly places make people feel less safe, I know that's probably true for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,036,596 times
Columbus- Indianapolis; Pittsburgh-Cincinnati; Philadelphia-Baltimore; New York-Boston; Chicago-Milwaukee; Seattle- San Francisco; Washington-Richmond Va.; Cleveland- Buffalo; St. Louis- Detroit; Kansas City- Minneapolis/ St. Paul ;Phoenix- San Antonio; Houston-Dallas ; New Orleans-Miami; Atlanta- Memphis; Charlotte- Nashville; Los Angeles-San Diego; Portland Ore.-Denver; Dayton Ohio-Oakland; Newark NJ-Gary Ind.; Louisville-Jacksonville; Fort Worth-Austin, Tx. Albuquerque NM-El Paso, Tx.

Last edited by otters21; 10-20-2009 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM

21,176 posts, read 33,146,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Atlanta and Houston

both have about the same population, both have gigantic land area, both have sprawling, unstoppable development, both have multiple skylines, both have extremely busy airports, both have many fortune 500 companies....
That's about where the resemblance ends. The vibe is totally different in the two cities. For starters, the weather and topography are completely unalike.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,199,102 times
Nice thread.

Philadelphia-Baltimore
Miami-Santa Monica (which actually isn't it's own city)
Minneapolis-St. Paul (the easiest pair )
Dallas-Ft Worth
Richmond (VA)-Raleigh
Albany-Harrisburg
Annapolis-Newport (RI)
Cleveland-Detroit
Washington DC-Boston-San Francisco (on the outside all 3 are very unique, but deep down share a lot in common--heavily liberal, similar economies, extreme cost-of-living, tons of history etc.)
Seattle-Portland
Pittsburgh-Buffalo-Cincinnati
Charleston (SC)-Savannah(GA)
Louisville-Nashville
Columbus-Indianapolis
Atlanta-Charlotte
Chicago-Milwaukee (but on different scales)
College Park (MD)-El Dorado (yes, the utopian city of gold )

There's more, but that's all I can think of. For the record NYC, LA, and Chicago don't have twins.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 AM

2,647 posts, read 5,017,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Newark NJ-Gary Ind
Newark has WAY more going for it than Gary.....................

Old 10-21-2009, 01:01 AM

2,026 posts, read 3,592,636 times
I think Pasadena, TX is Pasadena California's "evil" twin.

(...just a joke, no offense intended Pasadena, TX!)

Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,862,477 times
Atlanta and Charlotte are certainly not twins...the two cities look nothing alike. They don't even look related.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM

11,300 posts, read 16,481,059 times
New York City - Los Angeles - Chicago are all fraternal twins IMO.

Philadelphia - Brooklyn/Queens - Baltimore are twins (give or take a few skyscrapers).

Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM

21,176 posts, read 33,146,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta and Charlotte are certainly not twins...the two cities look nothing alike. They don't even look related.
I actually thought that one was pretty valid...I see a lot of similarities. If you stuck me in Myers Park, I might think I was in Brookwood Hills or Haynes Manor, South Park = Brookhaven, and so on. The neighborhoods have a very similar feel.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM

141 posts, read 405,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
Columbus- Indianapolis; Pittsburgh-Cincinnati; Philadelphia-Baltimore; New York-Boston; Chicago-Milwaukee; Seattle- San Francisco; Washington-Richmond Va.; Cleveland- Buffalo; St. Louis- Detroit; Kansas City- Minneapolis/ St. Paul ;Phoenix- San Antonio; Houston-Dallas ; New Orleans-Miami; Atlanta- Memphis; Charlotte- Nashville; Los Angeles-San Diego; Portland Ore.-Denver; Dayton Ohio-Oakland; Newark NJ-Gary Ind.; Louisville-Jacksonville; Fort Worth-Austin, Tx. Albuquerque NM-El Paso, Tx.
I agree with everything on your list but Dayton - Oakland, maybe Dayton-Flint Michigan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City