Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 56,841 times

Advertisements

I'm from Chicago and I love this city! I'm going to LA next month (I might go to school there) to visit. I'm just curious Witch city is safer, healthier, scenic and better? Just between these two cities.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Chicago I feel safe in, LA I did not. Not one bit. Healthier? Id say Chicago, the air quality in general just looks better. Plus, in LA, you have to drive everywhere, their downtown is a joke, nothing to do like in Chicago, whereas here we can walk everywhere, which is healthier. Scenery? LA hands down, they have hills and the ocean, and palm trees as well. For man-made "scenery", Chicago is more beautiful. You cant argue with Chicago's beautiful skyline. Better? Thats a matter of opinion, and mine is Chicago. IMO its waaaaay better. LA has some beautiful areas, but on a whole its a dump, full of illegals and crime and smog and traffic.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:44 PM

111 posts, read 275,510 times
LA is healthy because the coating of tar you will get on your lungs will act as a protectant from anything else that might get into your lungs.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM

28 posts, read 416,360 times
LA- best weather, congested, very expensive; Chicago- bad weather, congested, getting expensive. I left both! But, if I could still afford it, I would go back to Hermosa Beach. Lake Michigan doesn't compare to the Pacific Ocean.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Water all looks the same to me.

Id take Lake Michigan anyday over the pacific. No sharks.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:22 AM

38 posts, read 296,144 times
Cool LA Has Better Weather, But That's About All

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyKen0109 View Post
I'm from Chicago and I love this city! I'm going to LA next month (I might go to school there) to visit. I'm just curious Witch city is safer, healthier, scenic and better? Just between these two cities.

I lived in Chicago for years, and though I've never lived in LA I've spent time there. I've got friends and family there. Here's my take on the two:

LA has GREAT weather. It also has really BAD air, incredibly bad traffic congestion, no public transportation to speak of (has some bus service but it's not that good), more crime than Chicago, more gang violence, more urban sprawl, and an uninteresting downtown. There's no central locus. Everything is spread out -- entertainment, recreation, dining, shopping, jobs, EVERYTHING. Most of your free time will be spent getting to where you want to go, then back again. While the LA lifestyle appears casual and laid back, it's actually very stressful because of the hassle of getting from one place to another. So as far as health and safety goes, Chicago beats LA.

LA has the Pacific ocean, if you can get to it through all the traffic; but then, Lake Michigan is equally beautiful, the lake shore more accessible with more public space along the shoreline and the most beautiful skyline in the world, especially when seen from the water. If you're a surfer you'll prefer LA. Otherwise, as far as recreation on the water goes, it's much more accessible in Chicago. Chicago also has beautiful architecture, incredibly beautiful parks, and the most world-class public art of anyplace in the Americas. IMO, Chicago is far more scenic than LA.

LA is VERY expensive, as is most of California. While living in Chicago isn't cheap, it's a bargain compared to LA. Think about what it costs to live on the Gold Coast. That's what it'll cost you just about anywhere decent in LA. On top of that, a car is a necessity in LA. At least on the Gold Coast you can easily live without a car. As far as that goes, you can live just about anywhere in Chicago without a car. It's easy to get around on public transportation, and when you don't want to do that you can always take a taxi. Try getting a cab in LA.

Restaurants in Chicago can't be beat! They're easy to get to, the food is EXCELLENT, and it's priced fairly for what you get. LA has some fine restaurants but not the kind of restaurant scene Chicago has and it's generally more expensive. If you've got plenty of money LA has great nightlife; but Chicago's got an equally good, maybe even better nightlife, and you can participate in it with little money. IMO when it comes to entertainment Chicago is more like NYC and beats LA on the basis of cost and accessibility.

Are you drop-dead gorgeous? Are looks really important to you? Do you come from a wealthy family? If so, LA is the place for you. Angelinos are obsessed with physical appearance and wealth. If you're not rich and hot you're gonna be nothin' in LA.

So which is better? LA has better weather. Everything else is better in Chicago.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabiner View Post
LA- best weather, congested, very expensive; Chicago- bad weather, congested, getting expensive. I left both! But, if I could still afford it, I would go back to Hermosa Beach. Lake Michigan doesn't compare to the Pacific Ocean.
Then you've obviously never heard of the Third Coast Surf Shop some guy opened up on the shore in New Buffalo MI.

We've got it all now, baby! Surf's up! SPANK that 3-foot wave!

Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM

111 posts, read 275,510 times
Yea hermosa beach is nice! my roommate is from el segundo right by manhattan beach. I hate to admitt the past three days ive been in SC in the rain while hes been visiting his family down there telling me how its 75 degrees and sunny! On another note when he showed us all the skate spots (el segundo, hawthorn, LAX area ) i kept getting particles in my eyes every 4 or 5 minutes. I credit him with getting me to stop smoking cigarettes primarily, he claims it is because in LA living there is the equvilent of smoking a pack a day.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:03 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,870 times
not to throw you off, but this is my opinion

I like California better than Illinois BUT
Chicago is better than Los Angeles

but if your just going to go there for school I would go for it! I wasn't in LA long but I lived in California. I didn't feel very safe driving around LA either and their freeways/interstates are incredibly crazy (just the layout is insane).

LA is very sprawling....lots uglier than I expected to be honest..but truly so many cool places to check out in that area if you like the ocean and the mountains.

Chicago...better city.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:53 AM

694 posts, read 2,651,455 times
Add me to the consensus
California beats Illinois
Chicago tops L.A.

San Diego tops both.
From a family guy perspective.

Any way you look at it's worth finding out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City