U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 01:37 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,703,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, you've met our resident 7 year old.
TheMachineKnownAsSuburbia is obviously jealous of the Northeast. Who owns SF's Embarcadero Center? A Boston-based real estate corporation. Who invests and owns in most of CA's businesses? New York investors, New York bankers, investment bankers, etc. Northeasterner's don't give a rat's *** about LA, either, but those people in LA who actually make money love the Northeast... They want to keep their job and their house. We just want the money, political power, and economic power of which we continue to thrive on.

About 37 million may live in CA, but let's not forget, it's the 3rd largest state in the country area-wise. Put together as many states as you can on the East Coast that will equal the size of CA, and we'd be the bigger state. CA's not really that populated when you think about it.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,219,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
What's your beef with Seattle? Every other post from you is belittling, insulting, stereotyping towards Seattle and the people that live here
HUH?

I think Ive said something else on maybe one occasion. Besides, I usually stick up for Seattle if anything. It does have a lovely skyline (in the top 5 in the USA), but I just STRONGLY disagree that its more distinguishable than Chicago's skyline. And when Monumental1 said I need to "pull up my skirt", I took offense, who wouldnt?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM

32,208 posts, read 54,879,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post

About 37 million may live in CA, but let's not forget, it's the 3rd largest state in the country area-wise. Put together as many states as you can on the East Coast that will equal the size of CA, and we'd be the bigger state. CA's not really that populated when you think about it.
There are some comparisons where CA actually does quite nicely against the NE.

Foreign Born Population
Northeastern US 8,201,842 or 14.9% of total population
California 9,907,970 or 27.1% of total population

Masters, Professional and Doctoral Degrees
Northeastern US 4,589,810 or 12.4% of all adults age 25+
California 2,394,870 or 10.2% of all adults age 25+

Median Household Income
Northeastern US $55,651
California $59,948

Households earning $200,000+
Northeastern US 1,105,869, or 5.3% of all households
California 757,411, or 6.2% of all households

Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There are some comparisons where CA actually does quite nicely against the NE.

Foreign Born Population
Northeastern US 8,201,842 or 14.9% of total population
California 9,907,970 or 27.1% of total population

Masters, Professional and Doctoral Degrees
Northeastern US 4,589,810 or 12.4% of all adults age 25+
California 2,394,870 or 10.2% of all adults age 25+

Median Household Income
Northeastern US $55,651
California $59,948

Households earning $200,000+
Northeastern US 1,105,869, or 5.3% of all households
California 757,411, or 6.2% of all households
Of course California will have a larger foreign-born population. It's mainly Mexican. But you can't possibly tell me it's population is more diverse than NYC. There is no city in the world that has a more diverse population than NYC... And not just one race rules this city, it's more well-mixed than CA.

I'd expect to see a somewhat lower household earning in the Northeast... We do have more slums and our slums are run down. We have the 2nd poorest city in the country (Buffalo), the 3rd poorest county in the country (Bronx County), and we all the other cities such as Philly, Newark, Camden, Baltimore, Rochester, Jersey City, Bayonne, Paterson, Irvington, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, Trenton, Newburgh, Bridgeport, Hartford, and many smaller, lower-income cities. But there's no doubting that the largest concentration of wealth is, in fact, in New York. World-class cities like NYC, DC, Boston, and Philly are hard to take on. I especially like the way Boston runs despite the fact that it's not as large as the other so-called "world class" cities in this country.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

32,208 posts, read 54,879,120 times
Quote:
But you can't possibly tell me it's population is more diverse than NYC.
But I can tell you that no state is as diverse as California.

Quote:
But there's no doubting that the largest concentration of wealth is, in fact, in New York.
Actually its not really a landslide.

Households earning $100,000+
Nassau, NY 44.7%
Santa Clara, CA 42.4%
San Mateo, CA 40.6%
Marin, CA 40.4%
Fairfield, CT 40.2%
Suffolk, NY 39.5%
Westchester, CT 39.1%
Contra Costa, CA 36.6%
Manhattan, NY 34.4%
San Francisco(City only) 34.2%
Alameda, CA 33.3%

Quote:
World-class cities like NYC, DC, Boston, and Philly are hard to take on.
LA and SF only have real competition in one of those places.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 09-15-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But I can tell you that no state is as diverse as California.
I won't doubt that. It has the most large cities. But if I'm in SF, the diversity of LA really has no meaning whatsoever. Statewide diversity doesn't mean as much as citywide.

Quote:
Actually its not really a landslide.

Households earning $100,000+
Nassau, NY 44.7%
Santa Clara, CA 42.4%
San Mateo, CA 40.6%
Marin, CA 40.4%
Fairfield, CT 40.2%
Suffolk, NY 39.5%
Westchester, CT 39.1%
Contra Costa, CA 36.6%
Manhattan, NY 34.4%
San Francisco(City only) 34.2%
Alameda, CA 33.3%

LA and SF only have real competition in one of those places.
Nassau County has a lot of slums. But overall, I won't argue with this list. Though I will argue that Scarsdale's got more money than 99-100% of the CA towns.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM

288 posts, read 1,241,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No need for "internet courage" when dealing with a Seattlite.

Fact of the matter is that Chicago's skyline is very recognizeable, more so than L.A's or Seattle's.
So Mr. big tuff guy your geographical location somehow makes you tougher than everyone in Seattle, L.A. or the west coast. You are like the internet super thug right? I donít think you know how ridiculous you sound.

Your basis for saying Chicagoís skyline is more recognizable than Seattle or L.A.ís is purely an emotionally driven bias you have. Its simple see the Space Needle Ė thatís Seattle, see the Hollywood sign thatís L.A., see the Golden Gate Bridge Ė thatís San Francisco, see the Statue of Liberty Ė Thatís New York.

See what?????? John Hancock tower? Sears tower? Those buildings are not very popular to most tourist or foreigners. Most people donít know the name of these towers, where they are or what they are. Chicagoís skyline can easily be mistaken for New York but you could never see the Space Needle or the Golden Gate Bridge or The Gateway Arch in St. Louis and think it was another U.S. city.

Chicagoís skyline doesnít get the media attention that Seattle, L.A., San Fran, NY, Vegas or Miami get. The most popular shows on TV right now take place in these cities showing off their skylines to the world, (Greyís Anatomy, CSI Miami, etc.). I like Chicagoís skyline as I do many cities in our great nation, but as far as being the most recognizable it doesnít stack up to Seattle and other U.S. cities with more famous skylines point blank so you west coast haters can get over it now.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:27 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,802,937 times
Quote:
I didn't type that. You got the wrong guy, pal. Maybe you're the guy who needs to grow up because now I know for a fact that you just want to get everybody on my *** because you know I'm the one who will beat you at your own game on here.
Why do I say this? Because this is my proof. You just proved it yourself by implying that I typed that italicized paragraph you copied and pasted.
This is what he said:

"[i]Seriously, I hate the west coast. I dont know why, I just do. NYC is where its at. Everything runs through us. LA is nothing but a s**t stain. NOBODY cares about it. I like Chicago and really thats as far west as I validate a city. Everything west of the Chi is mountains, plains, ranches, desserts, etc

Give me Philadelphia, Newark, DC, Baltimore, Boston etc before any west coast city. The above are actual cities.

Everybody who lives somewhere other than the north east, really couldn't make it here."[/I
]

This is what I said:

"Lol one of the most pathetic posts I've ever read."

This is what you said

"Why? I love SF, but the other western cities are lame to walk around."

I'm not out to get on your ***. I'm just stating what you said and what it looked like. I think you're the one who needs to grow up. I said in no way that you typed that bolded paragraph. I however did imply that you were quoting it. If you wern't I apologzie.

Last edited by mattyj46; 09-15-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,219,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
So Mr. big tuff guy your geographical location somehow makes you tougher than everyone in Seattle, L.A. or the west coast. You are like the internet super thug right? I donít think you know how ridiculous you sound.

Your basis for saying Chicagoís skyline is more recognizable than Seattle or L.A.ís is purely an emotionally driven bias you have. Its simple see the Space Needle Ė thatís Seattle, see the Hollywood sign thatís L.A., see the Golden Gate Bridge Ė thatís San Francisco, see the Statue of Liberty Ė Thatís New York.

See what?????? John Hancock tower? Sears tower? Those buildings are not very popular to most tourist or foreigners. Most people donít know the name of these towers, where they are or what they are. Chicagoís skyline can easily be mistaken for New York but you could never see the Space Needle or the Golden Gate Bridge or The Gateway Arch in St. Louis and think it was another U.S. city.

Chicagoís skyline doesnít get the media attention that Seattle, L.A., San Fran, NY, Vegas or Miami get. The most popular shows on TV right now take place in these cities showing off their skylines to the world, (Greyís Anatomy, CSI Miami, etc.). I like Chicagoís skyline as I do many cities in our great nation, but as far as being the most recognizable it doesnít stack up to Seattle and other U.S. cities with more famous skylines point blank so you west coast haters can get over it now.
Call me when you sprout your first pube, mmmkay?

Old 09-15-2008, 04:55 PM

288 posts, read 1,241,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Call me when you sprout your first pube, mmmkay?
^After all your tough talk this is what you come up with......... Like I said you don't know how ridiculous you sound. (Thank you for proving my point) You're a clown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City