U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 10:00 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,169,598 times

Advertisements

^^defintey for the show Dallas - that ruled - linda grey was hot

Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 PM

304 posts, read 827,553 times
west coast cities dominate this with SF, L.A, and Seattle

there just is no competition its sad lol

Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,700,716 times
^
uhh...NY? Chicago? Miami?
Yeah there is, no one know Seattle's skyline outside of the US and Canada...

Old 09-15-2008, 10:14 PM

304 posts, read 827,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
^
uhh...NY? Chicago? Miami?
Yeah there is, no one know Seattle's skyline outside of the US and Canada...
nah....buncha ugly stinky buildings in chicago and manhattan...**** aint recognizable

Old 09-15-2008, 10:40 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,807,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Sears Tower more recognizable than this?..

ALSO... Which of the following cities do you recognize?

Except for the very last city, they could all be, to the typical untrained eye: Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Portland, Charlotte, Vancouver, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Calgary, Montreal, Boston, Auckland, or ANY average modern city that has no distinguishing landmarks. Those cities here are, from top to bottom:

1. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
2. Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3. Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4. Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
5. Sydney, New South Wales, Australia without Sydney Harbour Bridge or Sydney Opera House (landmarks).
6. Sydney from a different angle with Sydney Opera House visible.

It's landmarks that make a skyline recognizable. Therefore the most recognizable US skylines to the typical tourist and/or foreigner would probably be:

1. NYC (unique density, Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty)
2. D.C. (Distinct architectural style, Washington Monument, White House, Capitol)
3. San Francisco (Painted Ladies, Golden Gate Bridge, TransAmerica building)
4. Seattle (Space Needle, Mount Rainier)
5. Las Vegas (the strip)? Chicago (Sears Tower, John Hancock Bldg)? St. Louis (Gateway Arch)? Miami? Los Angeles?
Auckland has the Sky Tower as a possible distinguishing landmark which makes it recognizable to people, apart from that its pretty average.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,169,598 times
DC for sure...

who doesn't know the pentagon....god knows penatagon city is big enough, it melds with arlingdton. crystal city, alexandria - am i right? DC folks help me out...its on big urban traffic nightmare...much like LA..

Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
DC for sure...

who doesn't know the pentagon....god knows penatagon city is big enough, it melds with arlingdton. crystal city, alexandria - am i right? DC folks help me out...its on big urban traffic nightmare...much like LA..
As a foreigner DC ranks high up in my list (top 5).

Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM

905 posts, read 2,576,619 times
There is absolutely no way that there are ten skylines that are recognizable to most foreigners and tourists. I'd say the only ones that are easily recognizable around the world are NY and DC. Some people might get Chicago, SF and LA. Even fewer might recognize Seattle or Vegas. That's really it.

Miami? San Diego? Dallas? C'mon...would you recognize Hamburg, or Perth, or Shenzen? Didn't think so.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
There is absolutely no way that there are ten skylines that are recognizable to most foreigners and tourists. I'd say the only ones that are easily recognizable around the world are NY and DC. Some people might get Chicago, SF and LA. Even fewer might recognize Seattle or Vegas. That's really it.

Miami? San Diego? Dallas? C'mon...would you recognize Hamburg, or Perth, or Shenzen? Didn't think so.
Thats actually a really good post, not alot of people who arn't into this sort of stuff would recognize those skylines. I myself would know 10 but thats only because I have alot of knowledge of America, the average person/foreigner would not.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 AM

674 posts, read 1,405,214 times
For foreigners I would say they would be most familiar with:

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Las Vegas
4. Los Angeles
9. Miami

I'm surprised how few know anything about Chicago, and what a beautiful city Chicago is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City